New barrier coat?

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
and you get two colours of it, that way you can see that you got good coverage for each. The last coat is the colour you want to wind up with.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
You follow the manufacturer’s instructions and give it 5 coats. 3 coats look good enough, and the work is tedious but it takes 5 coats to get you to the required coating thickness.
I think it was mentioned previously that thickness varies between spraying and roll-on and how thick you spray or roll. "5 coats" is too vague.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Put on the recommended 5 coats of ip2000e and go for dinner.
Not really. That is part of the problem here, the epoxy barrier coat has to sit a number of hours (depending on application temp) so the job turns into a multi-day effort while you time the proper epoxy tack point. To do this right takes about 4 days in the yard.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
I think it was mentioned previously that thickness varies between spraying and roll-on and how thick you spray or roll. "5 coats" is too vague.
Spraying epoxy paint is for professionals with the proper training and PPE. DIY guys roll it on. 5 coats.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
about 4 days in the yard.
I never said how long, :) I only said how many. I got three coats on in a day inside a heated warehouse with almost perfect humidity, but then I needed a nap. After that there was that messy issue of pads, and they being "one coat behind". Messy. Not literally.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
You can check with Beneteau about the resin layup schedule; however, I am fairly certain that 2003 models had incorporated vinyl ester resin in the hull to reduce the incidence of blistering.

Sep 23, 2009
O'Day 34-At Last Rock Hall, Md
I am missing something here. Presumably the hull was barrier coated before. Why FIVE more barrier costs?
As the bottom paint is not adhering to the prior barrier coating perhaps it was applied too late after the last barrier coat was applied? Or too many coats of bottom paint were allowed to build up. I wonder if one new barrier coat with a timely application of bottom paint would be correct.
Look at the bare spots, do you see gel coat or the tell tale texture of a barrier?

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
I'm not sure this is any help, but I just had this done after 24 years and I would guess seven or eight bottom jobs with hard paint. I had the yard strip the paint, and apply three coats (per recommendation of the coating manufacturer) of barrier. This was done in Mexico by a well-respected yard using US product. Hunter marine said the vinylester was warranted for ten years. After that, they recommended barrier coating.

Oct 22, 2014
Pearson P303 #221 RockPort Maine
I had 3 barrier coats put on our boat. Why is it necessary to put on 5? Is that standard procedure or is it excessive?
I put on 8 coats of 2000E and boy I was glad I did. It not only ack ling a gove but also allows your hull to take a blow or two. My wife hit a rock and it just slid off NO damage to the fiberglass bottom. However, with 3 coats though, it would have penetrated to the fiberglass. IMOpion. Please remember that before you do bottom paint on top of the barrier coat that you should rough up the last coat of barrier coat for the bottom paint to stick really good and this prevents any flaking. I have a total of 8 coats Barrier and 4 coats ablative bottom paint total 12 coats.
What Gunni said is correct You must put coats 1 at a time and check for the tackiness before applying the next coat. I did mine at 80deg temp with two shifts day and night with low humidity. I started at sunrise 80-87deg and went all night and ended the next day around 1pm more the 24hrs. So plan on getting some help.
IMO. Capt Rob

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2014
Pearson P303 #221 RockPort Maine
On the removal of what you have now! I would have it soda-blasted first not sanding. Hope this helps! Capt. Rob

Mar 29, 2017
Hunter 30t 9805 littlecreek
When ever you disturb the fiberglass bottom of a boat weather hand sand or blast. You open up glass to elements need to seal that back up.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
With just the pictures to look at, the hull looks like it needs paint removal and re-coat; I don't see blisters. The keel looks like it has cast iron rust blisters ; it could use barrier coat after a good cleanup..

nfg2u

Feb 13, 2016
Hunter Legend 35.5 Fort Pierce
I had the bottom blasted and did a barrier coat last year. The bottom of my boat looked similar. I did some minor patch work on my keel. Did all the work myself. I didn’t want to wonder what the condition of the barrier coat was from the PO. I am keeping the boat for a while so I thought it was worth it. Barrier coat was gray and finished with a blue finish coat. I used Pettit Epoxy Barrier with Pettit SR-60 but I am in warm weather year round. Your mileage may vary. Good luck with your decisions.

11CC9337-9F3C-4D8A-9BD7-2446BD7A0846.jpeg 2302C964-F21C-4FE1-81F8-7B5167B51EDE.jpeg CE0FA817-31F2-4FB3-A235-A7B92F260673.jpeg 260A73A5-1A38-4D15-91F0-ADB45AF52513.jpeg

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Spoke with @refish the other day. The quote for his boat was surprisingly a little high as I use to use the same yard for commissioning of my boats. First the yard is under new management or ownership from out of state folks from the north but the yard has a good reputation. Further he advised no blisters and I think barrier coat was applied in 2009. I suggested that he go down and look at the barrier coat himself to see if any issues. If none, clean off and lightly sand and repaint with anti fouling.. He will be applying Trinidad SR or what ever it is called now which is the paint to be used for that area which I recommended before he told me. I suggested seeing a friend of mine at another marina or two in the local area. He will keep me abreast.

It was a pleasure talking with this man as it brought back memories. There were a few things said but not for discussion here as we both concurred not to say anything. That's all folks