1. Welcome to the new Cruising Sailors Forum, for experienced sailors and cruisers. 2009-2016 forum archive is now online.

New Anchoring Restrictions in Georgia

Discussion in 'Cruising Sailors' started by dlochner, Jun 2, 2019. Add this thread to a FAQ

1. dlochner

dlochner

Joined Jan 11, 2014
    3,914 posts, 1,862 likes
    Sabre 362
    113 US Fair Haven, NY
    Since much of the weed growth on the Great Lakes is from non-native invasive species, perhaps we should require frequent anchoring to help alleviate the weeds? :poke:

The estuaries along the GA coast no doubt have some very robust areas where an anchored boat is going to do little damage, or certainly less damage than a hurricane and is quite likely that there are some areas that are environmentally sensitive with a bottom shouldn't be disturbed. There may well be times of the year where it is damaging to anchor and at other times anchoring has no effect. There is always a danger to painting issues like where to anchor with broad brush strokes.

jon hansen likes this.
  2. jon hansen

jon hansen

Joined May 25, 2012
    2,166 posts, 1,946 likes
    john alden caravelle 42
    us sturgeon bay, wis
    .... and yet the fisheries on the the great lakes are in big trouble. your assumptions are way of base and incorrect. the decaying plant material has created huge dead zones. the R/V Neesky overnights many times at my dock each summer. capt. greg stamatelakys is a good friend of mine. the scientist aboard tell a grin tale. but hey, you can make up all the conjecture you want. i'm used to it.
    there is a thing called the food chain. you cut one link and everything up the chain suffers.

like all sea stories, don't let the facts get in the way of a good story!

love the new law!

3. Rick Webb

Rick Webb

Joined Jun 2, 2004
    2,851 posts, 193 likes
    Hunter 23.5
    US Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
    We need to organize a sex strike until the proposed law is not enacted.

That'll show them.

RoyS, justsomeguy and jon hansen like this.
  4. chrischesley

chrischesley

Joined Feb 14, 2017
    29 posts, 17 likes
    Mainecat 38
    US Anacortes
    This law pretty well screws the untended free pumpout facilities that will not be able to keep their side of the record keeping requirements. Likewise, any portable pump out devices often used in marinas--who will keep the shore records?

5. Tod

Tod

Joined Dec 30, 2010
    82 posts, 76 likes
    Montgomery 17
    US trailered
    Decaying plant material is unrelated to Lake Erie's dead zone, according to a study by Zhou et al.
    https://www.livescience.com/49347-lake-erie-dead-zone-drought.html

6. jon hansen

jon hansen

Joined May 25, 2012
    2,166 posts, 1,946 likes
    john alden caravelle 42
    us sturgeon bay, wis
    tod, read the article dude. it clearly states that one of the two methods for dead zones is caused by the decaying plant material. and yet the article title implies it does not.
    the big research ship from U of M and the UW research vessel dock in sturge often each summer. i talk to these people that are doing the testing. becky's article does not even mention the huge problem from all the run off of all the crap dumped on lawns and golf courses through out the basin. becky implies that it is only the farms that give us food that create this while the suburbanites lawn crap is so huge and give us nothing.
    yes, the lack of summer wind hurts the re oxygenation of the water.
    becky, i give you an F on your article

7. Kings Gambit

Kings Gambit

Joined Jul 27, 2011
    3,221 posts, 845 likes
    Bavaria 38E
    US Alamitos Bay
    It’s a stretch to say that the food chain starts in the mud. It might be part of an estuarine food web, even an important part, but bacteria and bacterial processes dominate mud habitats like nowhere else. The only kinds of “animals” that feed directly in mud are various kinds of deposit/detritus feeders—e.g., specialized worms and animals like sea cucumbers and pill-bug-like creatures known as isopods. Sure, larger more tasty creatures such as clams might be buried in mud, but they filter water above the mud for food. Unless the muds are tidally uncovered and exposed to long-billed shore birds or human clam diggers, etc., I doubt much can get at them. Certain flatfishes might be able to rip off part of a siphon, etc. If you happen to dredge one out and it falls off the anchor, it will rebury itself. The oxic layer of mud is only a few centimeters deep and watery. That is where most of the “action” is. The deeper, packed mud that sticks to your anchor is likely to be anoxic—good place for certain bacteria to “feed”, but little else. The mud habitat is more toward the “end” of the food chain, where organic material produced at the surface is decomposed and remineralized.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
  8. jon hansen

jon hansen

Joined May 25, 2012
    2,166 posts, 1,946 likes
    john alden caravelle 42
    us sturgeon bay, wis
    Mayflies ................................................................ but that is in fresh water. so much for your nothing lives their theory.

so, when lorain became available, hoards of yachties invaded the bahamas, dropped their anchors anywhere they pleased and it was their anchor chain that killed most of the underwater gardens that had been there leaving the sandy underwater deserts off the beaches of the islands that you all find today. just the facts. the same mentality of 'we did not hurt anything' 'we are just one little boat' 'it's not us' was the same as what i read in this thread. so you don't think the mud on your anchor changes anything. fine. what about your chain swinging 360 degrees about your anchor. what about all the dragging anchor stories we read about here. 'it was 3 am and the anchor alarm went off, caused by a thunderstorm and we were anchored on the reef and were dragging towards the shallows', sound familiar?
    on the west coast they used to use squid only for the bait for the tasty fish that were available. now they serve the squid as the entree.

back to the icw in georgia. the argument that all this area is already destroyed so continuing these activities is fine. well, do what you gots to do.

i suggest that these discussions help all of us make better choices.
    many times here i have written things here that were wrong and so i learned and will do better.
    the ships i worked on back in the 70's and 80's polluted the lakes harshly. the run off from the coal fields, and ore fields that we dumped on was awful. it's not allowed anymore.

we can do better as awareness is increased

Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
  9. Davidasailor26

Davidasailor26

Joined May 17, 2004
    1,789 posts, 476 likes
    Beneteau Oceanis 37 LE
    US Havre de Grace
    I don't know if a muddy seafloor is necessarily as delicate as a coral garden growing in sand. Maybe it is, maybe not, but without seeing any further research I'm not convinced. It feels to me a bit like saying that because digging in a botanical garden can do damage, kids should never be allowed to build a sand castle on the beach.

10. DayDreamer41

DayDreamer41

Joined Oct 29, 2016
    1,346 posts, 674 likes
    Hunter 41 DS
    Un Port Huron
    Ah man I am already on one, should I start once this cause is completed......

11. Davidasailor26

Davidasailor26

Joined May 17, 2004
    1,789 posts, 476 likes
    Beneteau Oceanis 37 LE
    US Havre de Grace
    Timely video posted on sensible seeming anchoring regulations elsewhere -

jon hansen and dlochner like this.
  12. jssailem

jssailem

Joined Oct 22, 2014
    9,643 posts, 4,341 likes
    CAL 35 Cruiser
    US Salem, Moored Port Everett WA
    Forced or volunteered.

jon hansen likes this.
  13. jssailem

jssailem

Joined Oct 22, 2014
    9,643 posts, 4,341 likes
    CAL 35 Cruiser
    Not so common in my experiences.

jon hansen likes this.
  14. jssailem

jssailem

Joined Oct 22, 2014
    9,643 posts, 4,341 likes
    CAL 35 Cruiser
    I am all for a Georgia Peach sunbathing. Does the law say where?

15. dlochner

dlochner

Joined Jan 11, 2014
    3,914 posts, 1,862 likes
    Sabre 362
    113 US Fair Haven, NY
    Sophie is a riot! One of the more enjoyable and humorous looks at the cruising life.

Davidasailor26 likes this.
  16. dlochner

dlochner

Joined Jan 11, 2014
    3,914 posts, 1,862 likes
    Sabre 362
    113 US Fair Haven, NY

17. Allowishish

Allowishish

Joined Oct 30, 2017
    150 posts, 134 likes
    Catalina c 27
    Long Monday US Lake Pueblo

the excellent book, The Gulf: The Making of an American Sea, does a great job of detailing the damage of both farm runoff as well as runoff from residential and commercial lots.

it is written very well, I suggest it to anyone concerned about the health of our water ways or just interested in the history of the Gulf of Mexico.

jon hansen likes this.

Ready-made sheets and halyards
Now faster than ever, our calculator tells you what sizes you need.
Mainsail covers
Pre-patterned mainsail covers to fit your boat
Leaky Lewmar ports?
Start by replacing lens gaskets in stock now
Winch covers
Any brand, every size, any color!