New 27' owner looking for info

Jul 22, 2015
Catalina 27 MO
Greetings guys and gals...
New owner of a TR 27 and we are pretty excited. Previous owner bought the boat from the original owner and only day sailed it. Never used the head, the electrical, the water or anything.. It is all checking out ok but they were pretty useless as far as where things are located. Pretty much new how to start the motor and that was about it.
Anyway, is there a Cat 27 lay out somewhere that shows what trough hulls are located where and what they go to... like a "guide to your boat" kind of thing?
I know we will eventually figure it all out, but some initial guidance would be very helpful. Also, if this is covered somewhere else, I will be glad to click to it but I couldn't find anything.
Cheers,
Scott & Mel.
Stockton Lake, MO

Nov 7, 2012
1978 Catalina 30 Wilbur-by-the-Sea
Here is a good start. I know there was a decent Yahoo group I watched when I had a 27. The Catalina 27 Owners facebook group seems pretty dead, There is also a Catalina Yachts facebook group it is a tiny bit active. The Catalina 30 Owners facebook group is pretty good and could help you with common stuff like portlights, rigging etc.

If it has a Atomic 4 check out the Moyer Marine website for parts and their forum is the place for engine related help. A good place all around.

Have fun, it is a good boat.

Jul 22, 2015
Catalina 27 MO
Thanks Yes. The 30 group seems a lot more active for sure. My boat has the 18 diesel and it's running good. I'm good with tools and figuring things out but this is a new adventure. My admiral says it's getting us ready for our cruising retirement years. I'm just glad she is on board with the adventure!! I'm sure I'll be around here quite a bit.

Dec 11, 2008
catalina C27 stillwater
What year is your boat?

KNOW THIS VERY IMPORTANT FACT:
If the boat is really old and the plumbing is original, (and I have to believe it is) the thru-hulls are probably 'glassed-in nipples. Not very proper, not safe, and prone to catastrophic failure.

Look in the locations I provided in the factory print and verify you have these thru-hulls. Then take a look closely at each thru hull. Take a picture and post here if you can. We want to take a look and see if the thru-hulls have been replaced with properly installed updated components or if you still have the old original bronze nipples. If you have access to haul-out facilities, replacing the stock stuff with new proper flange-mounted thru-hulls and seacocks will probably be your absolute number one priority.

If your thru-hulls look like this, there are two things bad going on. Glassed in nipple is one. The gate valve is the other. Both need remedied

Here is an example of a properly installed thru-hull, with a proper quarter-turn flanged seacock. Note the built-up area, providing a thicker area for the seacock to be installed on/in

Dec 11, 2008
catalina C27 stillwater
Let me know what else you might be looking for. I was in contact with a guy at the California plant, (since retired) who fed me tons of pdf documents covering the Catalina 27.

We 27 owners are odd ducks... There is a national association; I pay $25.00 every year to get the MAINSHEET magazine that Catalina prints, but the C27 section of the book has gone dormant. The Yahoo group is going to be the largest active community you will find on the web. I have quit going there though as it is cumbersome...

Also go check my thread on my on-going, sometimes on, sometimes, off, often distracted refurb of my 27. Between raising kids, building projects and such there are some good posts with informative pictures that should help you better get to know you 27. http://forums.catalina.sailboatowners.com/showthread.php?t=123450

Need sails? Get in touch with Judy B here: http://www.blumhorst.com/catalina27/catalinahomepage.htm

Jul 22, 2015
Catalina 27 MO
1986 is the year. The through hulls are black R C (?) marine if that helps. I don't think they are original. But not sure. Thanks for all the info!!

Dec 11, 2008
catalina C27 stillwater
1986 is the year. The through hulls are black R C (?) marine if that helps. I don't think they are original. But not sure. Thanks for all the info!!
I wish I had the 85 and newer boat. One HUGE thing you have going for you is the frameless acrylic windows. I am jealous! :)

Older models are virtually guaranteed to leak...

Jul 22, 2015
Catalina 27 MO
Here are the through hulls I have image-506078230.jpg

image-1389577490.jpg

Anyone know why these keel bolts are in pvc pipe? They are about 3 inches high.

image-619997378.jpg

Thoughts about water heater. I know that gate valve isn't the best idea...

image-2050594966.jpg

Thanks
Scott

Kopite

Mar 11, 2015
Catalina 27 Monroe MI
I suspect the tubes around the keel bolts were an attempt to keep them dry and hence corrosion free, but it's clearly not working !
On the subject of keel bolts, I've seen several torque values listed, and asked Catalina for the correct torque twice, with no reply. Anyone know the correct figure ? If it matters, my Cat 27 is an '84..
Thx..

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
When I purchase my 77 C27 16 years ago I called Catalina Yachts customers service and they sent me a packet containing an owner's manual, parts list, etc. The also included a document that lists the most common upgrades and retrofits that owners had deemed necessary over the years.

Besides replacing the gate valve through hulls with properly seated bronze or marelon ball valve seacocks, there were a number of other items you should know about... Some of which are: retro fitting lower shroud deck connection with large backing plates (a kit is available thru Catalina Direct) to prevent distortion of deck. The original spreader bracket was aluminum and prone to cracking.... a stainless steel replacement is available from the factory parts dept. or Cat Direct.

There are other items... look for the list in the owner site or call factory customer service for a copy. Maybe you'll get lucky and someone will post it here... My stuff is at the boat....

reeder

Jul 12, 2011
Catalina 27 Stockton Lake, MO
I'm at State Park Marina on Stockton, 1984 C27 Goldfire. Let me know if I can help.

Jul 22, 2015
Catalina 27 MO
Thanks. Our boat will be at State park marina as soon as Spurgons gets the bottom painted and gets it over here from Lake of the Ozarks! If your serious we would appreciate it!! We aren't racers just like to enjoy the lake.

Jun 1, 2015
Catalina 27 Bradenton
I suspect the tubes around the keel bolts were an attempt to keep them dry and hence corrosion free, but it's clearly not working !
On the subject of keel bolts, I've seen several torque values listed, and asked Catalina for the correct torque twice, with no reply. Anyone know the correct figure ? If it matters, my Cat 27 is an '84..
Thx..
Try here. I might have something when I get home and find it. I thought I had it and the specs for the standing rigging

Attachments

Jun 1, 2015
Catalina 27 Bradenton
Let me look when I get home, I swear I have it.
I can't find it. It was 50-60 lbs, I believe the stainless ones are 50lbs. On the older keels pre? 88 has the wood core stub plate so if you had water intrusion you may not be able to hold the torque or compress the damaged plate and move the keel around so be careful.