New (1997) Boat....New Questions

Sep 25, 2008
Catalina 30 MKIII Varuna Boat Club
Hi all,
I've had my "new" '97 Catalina 30 MKIII for just three days now and even though it's almost identical to my previous boat ('91 Cat30 MKII), I already have several questions. I need some opinions and experiences. Please keep in mind that the boat was in dry storage for almost 2 years.

1. I discovered a washdown fixture inside a small hatch on my starboard aftmost small compartment. Is this fixture connected to the same pressure pump as the regular plumbing and head shower? I need to know because the pump runs, but no water, hot or cold. How do I access this pump?

2. I can't find the thermostat control for the fridge nor can I find a compressor. I tried tracing the wiring from the main panel. But, I lose the wiring and can't find where it goes. Does anyone have this feature?.

3. I need to run wiring from the pedestal to the panel for my Garmin GPS/S and can't access the undersi to pull the cable. Has anyone accomplished this feat of magic?

4. The shift cable and fuel shut of cable are VERY stiff. I managed to get the shift to give me the detents, but have a little trouble getting her into reverse. Shifting to reverse more than once seems to do the trick. This was after I sprayed the hell out of both ends of the cable with a penetrating Lube. I would think its time to change the cables. But, just like question 3, working it out of the pedestal down to the engine looks to be a real bi#%. Has anyone changed these cables?

Thanks to all in advance and Happy Sailing....

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
@rpell1@msn.com Congrats on the new boat!
Ours is a 93.
1. The cockpit shower is connected to the galley sink hoses using T fittings. Same water supply/pressure pump as the rest of the pressure water system. The pressure pump is located port side just aft of the holding tank and mounted above the macerator, which is mounted in line with the holding tank pump out hose via T fitting.
2. Our fridge unit is mounted in the port side lazarett with the thermostat located in the fridge. Is there a cold plate in the fridge? The compressor unit is pretty big. If you can't find it maybe it was removed or not selected as an option?

Can't help with the other questions.

Have fun!

Sep 25, 2008
Catalina 30 MKIII Varuna Boat Club
Hi Ward,

Hope all is well with you?
I'll search again for the pump. It must be tucked up inside.
There is no compressor that I could find. My previous boat had the compressor just where yours was. I have no thermostat control, so I guess there is no refrigeration.
Thanks for the reply and happy sailing.

Ralph

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
Hi Ward,

Hope all is well with you?
I'll search again for the pump. It must be tucked up inside.
There is no compressor that I could find. My previous boat had the compressor just where yours was. I have no thermostat control, so I guess there is no refrigeration.
Thanks for the reply and happy sailing.

Ralph
Icebox it is then.