NEMA 183 connection guidance please

Jun 3, 2010
Hunter 27-3 Erie
Interesting how the flavor of this new forum has changed since the move. Posting removed.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2013
Catalina 310 Campbell River
There both the same use one the other is now a spare for some other device, in some cases a device may require 2 0183 ports

Dec 2, 2003
Hunter 260 winnipeg, Manitoba
Garmin nmea 1 (blue wire) will be nema out +, connect to radio nmea in +, Garmin normally uses the 12v neg wire as the nmea "-" out. Connect the radio nmea "-" in to the same buss as you are using for the 12v neg to the garmin. You will then need to go into the Garmin communications settings and set the nmea1 or nmea2 (whichever wire you are using for the radio) to the appropriate nmea version your radio uses.

If you have the radio model number you should be able to get the wire colours etc from the manual. The Garmin manual will describe how to do the settings for the communications port. (Pg 35 of manual)

Garmin Install manual here: http://static.garmin.com/pumac/GPS-echoMAP_500-700-50-70_INST_EN-US.pdf

Plotter user manual here: http://static.garmin.com/pumac/GPS_echoMAP_5_7_OM_EN.pdf

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2017
former Tartan 30 New London, CT area
If you're going to wire it for two-way communication, I recommend you use twisted pair cable. I didn't and the plotter was unhappy - I think I was getting cross talk between the plotter output and input. Rather than run a new cable, I just disconnected the plotter input.

Jun 11, 2011
Hunter 41 Lewes
The Baud rate or transmission speed along the wire is also crucial. I believe the radio needs to be set to match the Garmin rate. I haven't set one up in a while but I'm sure the info is out there on the net. Sorry I don't have the time to find it today.

Jun 3, 2010
Hunter 27-3 Erie
Thanks everyone. I do have the radio manual as well and there is no "set-up" listed anywhere in it. It seems that you select the correct colored wire (red I understand), connect it and it either works or doesn't. In my case it doesn't.

I have also stared at that Garmin manual for hours and the setup is not exactly straight forward either. Once you get through to the actual communications menu on the plotter I did go through item by item to make sure all sentences the radio understands are turned on. Still nothing. That's why I started web research.

I'll head back down to the boat Friday and start by hooking up a two-way circuit between radio and plotter. BTW, I am using shielded instrument wire.

Apr 27, 2010
Beneteau 352 Hull #276 Ontario
I purchased a Garmin 547xs chartplotter and installed it in a Navpod on the pedestal guard a few weeks ago. The primary purpose is to supply position coordinates to the DSC enabled VHF radio in the event of an emergency on board. Secondary is to provide navigation assistance should we find ourselves out in the lake at night. I have the instruction manuals for both the radio and the plotter and they are extremely vague when it comes to making the connection. The radio does specify a NEMA 183 communication, the plotter manual says it can do both NEMA 183 and 2 but does not actually say which color wire to use. The wires are labeled NEMA 1 and NEMA 2 which I assumed to be 183 and 2? I researched on line and found references to setting this up as the plotter talking and the radio listening which is how they are currently wired. The plotter wire labeled "1 transmit" goes to the VHF wire labeled "receive", however the radio display says "No Position" which according to the manual means no signal is reaching the radio from the plotter. In my research I also found references to a situation where the radio and the plotter must have inputs and outputs connected, also references to the requirements of the NEMA 183 going to a common ground. Unfortunately none of this is explained in either manual.
You must have gotten the installation manual with the plotter. See attached. It shows the wire colors.
You don't mention which Radio you have so I can't help you there.

This site may help with a more general discussion http://boat-project.com/tutorials/nmea0183xcon.htm

Added note : Sorry, I didn't see twalker H20's message.

Attachments

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2003
Hunter 260 winnipeg, Manitoba
If you tell us the make and model from the radio we may be able to help you further on the hook up.

You really shouldn't have to go in and edit which sentences are on or off. Any that aren't understood are ignored by most devices. It really sounds like the wiring just isn't right.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
It's not as simple as the "red" wire. You need a signal and a ground. If the manual doesn't have the connections spelled out, look online. What radio do you have? What baud rate is set up in both? They can be talking, but the displays are stupid enough to tell you that they are not talking, when they can be talking but not communicating.

Jun 19, 2004
Island Packet IP 32 99 Forked River, NJ
I had issues with our Lorance GPS and the Navico tiller pilot. Once I was sure about the wiring I just tried all the different baud rates until they were happy and talking to each other.