Need winless advice

Dec 10, 2017
Catilina C38 141 Perry lake
I have a 1982 Catalina C38 would like to install electric windlass any advice on what type, model, and how to mount it.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Paul. I just went through this decision process and selected a Lewmar V3 for my boat.
Mounting the windlass will be dependent on what you have on your bow and how your boat is configured. If you want ideas perhaps a photo of your bow and foredeck will help. Images of your anchor locker and info about your electrical systems are relevant.

It looks like your location is inland on lakes. You may get by with the V2 windlass. My ocean and Pacific NW waters lead me to upgrade to the V3 model. Additionally I chose 105 feet of chain and 200 feet of rode to manage a 44lb anchor.

Just what I did. Reach out to @Dave Groshong here at SBO. They were able to help me with the whole package.

Dec 10, 2017
I am planning on moving this boat to the ocean in a few years . Bow side of my anchor locker is 20" deep the aft side is only 12" deep, Mounting on the deck behind the chain locker seems like a good place but the chain is across the top of the lid for the anchor locker .
20170928_142851.jpg

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
On our Sabre 42, we mounted the windlass BEHIND the anchor locker. The chain/rode went to the windlass and then it dropped into the anchor locker by "going around the windlass" and back forward. That's what I do, if I were you. You can put some tread guard (VETUS) or something else to protect the deck from abrasion from the lead. DO YOU HAVE AN ANCHOR ROLLER?

Dec 10, 2017
Sabre
I have room to Mount the windlass behind the locker, not sure I have enough fall for the chain May have to modify the depth of the locker.
Also thinking about mounting the windlass in the center of the chain locker on a metal plate, And modifying the The door to cover the windlass and create a tunnel for the chain.

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
Then you would have to use a horizontal windlass. The lead to horizontal windlass needs to be flat or slight upward. (It is like a winch.).

The windlass just winds up the anchor, then you allow or feed the line into the anchor locker just forward of it.

You might contact some other owners of the Catalina C38. There may be an owners's group.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
Paul
That is very similar to the anchor locker in my C36. I have a Lewmar Ocean Concept. Which is the previous generation if the V series. It is mounted just aft of the locker and the rode gals right in no problem. The early C36’s came with a two piece lid so I can get into the Port side of the locker without slacking the chain.

Most newer Catalina’s are fitted with Maxwells that are mounted inside the locker.

Jul 25, 2021
Catalina 38 McKinley
Hello,
I am a new owner of a 1983 C38 and am looking to add an electric windlass. I as well have had little luck finding any info out there about people who have made the modification on this year/model boat. Any help I can get is much appreciated. Thanks!

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
We are lucky to have a retired Sabre boatwright who does lots of projects for our clubmates. He just did a windlass on a recently acquired boat. He made a marine plywood base that was totally glassed. and mounted into the anchor locker. It sits just below the hatch so its a clean foredeck. Had more issues running the power cables than installing the system.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Great advise to mount the windlass aft of the anchor locker. I will add you could install a deck-mounted horizontal windlass on a small pedestal, if you need height to achieve 12" free fall. You might find this article helplul: Selecting an Anchor Windlass | West Marine . Attached is a Lewmar Windlass Selection Guide.

1629640653612.png

Attachments

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2021
Catalina 38 McKinley
Thanks for the quick reply. I was considering mounting aft of the anchor locker as there appears to be enough space for one there. The only issue then is opening The anchor locker as it swings open from the starboard side with its hinges on the port side and the rode would be blocking it. Also one other issue I am trying to tackle is that the current bow roller is one solid welded piece attached to the furling jib and I would need to somehow remove that to get a new bow roller for the 45lb Rocna vulcan and 5/16" chain I just purchased.

Jul 25, 2021
Catalina 38 McKinley
This 1980 Catalina 38 S&S 1980 Catalina S S 38 Sloop for sale - YachtWorld has a deck-mounted horizontal windlass aft of the anchor locker AND apperas to have a bow roller to the port side of the jib furler.
View attachment 197498
Thank you, I actually recall looking at this exact listing when I was doing my research prior to purchasing the boat but completely forgot about it! I think this is exactly what I need to do. Looks like the locker door may still be interfering with the rode so I may need to figure out something for gaining access to it.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
..........only issue then is opening the anchor locker as it swings open from the starboard side with its hinges on the port side and the rode would be blocking it. Also one other issue I am trying to tackle is that the current bow roller is one solid welded piece attached to the furling jib and I would need to somehow remove that to get a new bow roller for the 45lb Rocna vulcan and 5/16" chain I just purchased........
A photo of your anchor door interference would help. This 1981 Catalina 38 1981 Catalina 38 Sloop for sale - YachtWorld appears to have replaces his bow roller as shown.

1629644831606.png

Jul 25, 2021
Catalina 38 McKinley
Attached are some photo's of my configuration.
The deepest part of the anchor locker is 22" which is directly under the door.
The deck lip extending forward from the aft end of the locker is 10" in length
The depth from the underside of the deck at the aft side of the locker is 9" and at the fore end of that lip is 13"
The distance from the bow of the boat to the start of the anchor locker door is 23"

Ideally I'd like to have the windlass sit inside the locker to keep the deck clean, however if it's going to be much easier to install on the top of the deck near the aft of the anchor locker then I'm okay with it. I've been looking at other catalina configs and see that some 36's have the windlass sitting on some sort of plate inside the locker, but I'm really not coming up with much for the 38's.

Also I believe I need a new bow roller to fit a 5/16" chain and would likely need one that extends out past my bow to accommodate the 44lb vulcan anchor I purchased. Would sawing off the original one and bolting in a new one next to it be logical? I am fairly handy with tools and there isnt many jobs that I dont think I can handle, I just have no experience with doing something like this on a sailboat and want to make sure I'm doing the right thing before I start cutting anything or drilling into the deck. Thanks!

Attachments