Need stove for 9.2A

Jul 8, 2014
Catalina C400 Oriental NC
We have a 1979 S2 9.2A and it has a hole in the galley counter.
Does anyone have their original alcohol stove, and would you be interested in donating or selling it to me? I'll pay shipping to Raleigh, NC.

Please message me if you can help us out.

Thanks!

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Why go backwards? Many folks have replaced their old OEM alcohol stoves with Origos: safer, easier to use, folks rave about them. I did that back in 1988 on our C25.

Jul 8, 2014
I should have posted in Wanted section, sorry. The reason for my mistake, I am specifically looking for a used/cheap stove for the S2 (like in the yachtworld link. PM sent)

The reason I'm not going for an Origio or something new is that we've bought a Catalina 400, and the S2 is going on the market. I really only need to fill the hole in the galley counter, am trying to do it economically.

Thanks!

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
I don't think there is any value in restoring a production boat to its original pressurized alcohol stove. Furthermore those stoves are prone to flare-ups and highly unreliable. I have known more than a few sailors to complain that at one time or another they had to do without a hot meal because the could not get the stove to light up. Nostalgia may come at a high price compounded with a lot of maintenance and moments of frustration. If you do not want to spend a lot of money and don't do a lot of cooking get a single burner non- pressurized alcohol Origo stove. They can usually be found used in E-bay and you can purchase denatured alcohol at Home Depot or any hardware store. There are also some butane single burner stoves like the Kenyon but the canisters are more expensive than the alcohol. Unless you are familiar with propane safety I would stay away from the camping or fixed propane stoves. An added benefit is that newer stoves are easier to find. A lot of Pressurized alcohol stoves have been cannibalized as parts are no longer readily available.

Oops, did not read the posting that you just wanted to fill the hole to sell the boat. Do the buyer and yourself a favor and at least get a butane stove.

Feb 26, 2004
Do the buyer and yourself a favor and at least get a butane stove.
We bought one in August, because I haven't yet switched from CNG to propane. It's a superb little stove and the butane cans are available at any camping store. Worked great on our 6 week trip up from California. I agree with Benny, forget the old curtain burner, even if you're selling the boat. Good luck on your new boat, nice.

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
I seriously doubt that a portable butane stove installed in that counter top will satisfy any surveyor or insurer, and with that impediment no buyer can get a loan.....

Feb 26, 2004
Good point, but it doesn't have to be "installed" - ours isn't and when we sail we stuff it into the oven of the old CNG stove! :) If the point of the OP is to provide some cooking "mechanism" for the next owner, he could either try the match of an old one; go Origo; or something else. His boat, his choice.:) But I was fascinated by the basic quality of the butane stove and how well it worked. We'll see how it does when it gets below 40F. :)

Jul 8, 2014
Butane is very much better, just about everything is better than the alcohol.
I am only looking for one that fills the hole, which is top of counter and about 5" of the front of counter. Heck, it's not that important to me that it even work! If I was keeping the boat, I'd pipe LP tank to a rack mounted on the pushpit, put in a solonoid/safety, and go sailing. Think of this requeast as 99% aesthetic, and only 1% function.

Thanks!