need shade for cockpit on Catalina 30

Status
Not open for further replies.

mortyd

Dec 11, 2004
Catalina 30 easy living
by unrolling the front window. you are quite welcome to come here and see how many boats have both and how few have one. again, i guess the sun must be in a different locaton where you are, it's exactly above the wind vane here.

Oct 26, 2005
- - Satellite Beach, FL.
Where we are ..no dodger means freeze ing
Here a dodger is nice if it's raining but in the way the rest of the time. In the summer, shade from a bimini and as much air movement through the cockpit are essential to sailing or sitting at anchor.

mortyd

Dec 11, 2004
Catalina 30 easy living
am i missing something? don't your dodgers open to let air through? the factory ones sure do.

jrowan

Mar 5, 2011
O'Day 35 Severn River, Mobjack Bay, Va.
Hey Merlinuxo, Don't bother arguing with Morty cause he knows everything.

Jul 7, 2009
Catalina 30 Mark I Stockton, Mo
We found this shade in our boat after we bought it. I don't know what it is or who sells it, but it is awesome! It lays over the boom, from the mast all the way to the aft shrouds. It splits at the aft end of the boom and is tied together at the shrouds. We secure it to the lifelines and the shrouds as necessary. It has 3 adjustable poles for rigidity, and even goes over the bimini.

We had it up a couple of weeks ago during some pretty good storms, and it hung in just great. The biggest problem was a couple of small puddles (about a quart each) in the shade.

Attachments

Apr 3, 2012
Catalina 309 Sydney
Just took delivery of the ronstan boom tent
Looks good in the lounge room
Next step is the boat

Dec 30, 2009
jeanneau 38 gin fizz sloop Summer- Keyport Yacht Club, Raritan Bay, NJ, Winter Viking Marina Verplanck, NY
I have dodger and bimini. Need em both.If its super hot u can flip the dodger down. Got the bimini last year, its necessary equipt now. The anchor shade is ok, for just that, its a little involved for setup, however if u have no bimini or dodger for the price its a very good option. Red

Oct 26, 2005
- - Satellite Beach, FL.
Hey Merlinuxo, Don't bother arguing with Morty cause he knows everything.
I was just trying to point out that our geographical areas dictate what will work for us.
I have had 2 boats with dodgers but for me a bimini is a much more usefull piece of gear (here in FL.).
And the PO was asking about shade in the cockpit.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
I was just trying to point out that our geographical areas dictate what will work for us.
I have had 2 boats with dodgers but for me a bimini is a much more usefull piece of gear (here in FL.).
And the PO was asking about shade in the cockpit.
Absolutely. I see folks sailing here on SF Bay with biminis and no dodgers. They freeze. I have a dodger, no bimini, and need the sun to stay warm. If I lived elsewhere, it'd be a way different choice.

Dec 1, 2011
Catalina 1984 C30 Tall Rig Bow Sprit MD
Carefully measure height too. The previous owner of my C30 must have been a few inches shorter than I; the bimini is about 2 inches too short. I have to stoop when standing at the wheel. The next version will have those inches added to the tubing; and the zip in window between the dodger and the bimini.

Feb 26, 2008
Catalina 30 Marathon, FL
I used a standard Taylor Made 3 bow bimini from a power boat that I got for $100 when my local Boater's World was going out and had the local canvas shop sew in two zippers to fit around the split backstay.

At the time I was thinking I just wanted something to last a year or two until I could get a bimini made up for the boat. That was in '08 and it's still on the boat, though it's now showing it's age with some wear spots.

If you can find one cheap this might be an option, especially if you can do the zippers yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.