Need Rudder and swing keel dimensions (1981, H22)

Jun 16, 2010
In search of my next boat Palm Harbor, FL
Charlie, when i replaced my keel, I also replaced the line at the same time, but thats about it. What repair/upgrades/mods are you thinking of? Sorry I don't have any pics, everything i did on the boat back then, was done without any thought of future need or for forum fodder. I hadn't found the forums yet.

Never taking the boat out of the water, i probably don't do as much maintenance as i should, but i also sail more than i should.

SeaTR

Jan 24, 2009
Hunter 22 Groton
Thanks anyways, inarathree.
I don't think mine is the original installation (pulley and mounting). See the attached photo. I'm looking for options before I commit to the potential changeout...

Attachments

Dec 14, 2009
Hunter 22 Naples
Swing- centerboard rigging

Gents, I know, I know, long time no post! Blame it on the job, financial boon-doggles, plus no money.

So despite all the above, some progress has been achieved.
When last I posted, I think I had just mounted the centerboard. Thanks for the instructions & pics, they were instrumental in arriving at a great fit. Now, being a mechanic, I couldn't help but modify the centerboard just a little. I added a small 'bulb' at the bottom, just for luck. Of course the first time I retracted the thing, it got stuck! (What do they say about blueprints? Oh yeah, don't mess with them.)
All of the rigging had been stripped out of the well, so thank goodness for the diagrams you all had available. I swaged a 1/4" SS cable from the centerboard eye through the fwd pulley where I used a swaged eye to convert to 3/8" line to finish the pulley run and exit through the trunk past a spring cleat. As I haven't had it water yet, (darn!), the final adjustment hasn't been made.
Say, I saw the pics of the rudder string, I'll print those out and rig mine so the function will work.
Holler if you need pics, and I still intend to upload a bunch when I get it done.

I have played with the mast, it is sooo easy to pop up and down, and have begun to sort out the halyards and sheets. Found a source for toe rail, as soon as the money eases, I'll buy some and reinstall it. BTW, the bed mount for the toe-rail on mine looks like 3/4" half round that was glassed into place. Naturally mine has rotted away to nothing leaving just the glass shell. Do you guys have any easy solutions?

Anyway, thanks for checking on me, still here and will someday get in the water!
Tim

SeaTR

Jan 24, 2009
Hunter 22 Groton
"...too much sailing..."

Sure, go ahead, inarathree ... rub it in re: your 'sailing season'. Geeezz.
LOL

Last edited:

SeaTR

Jan 24, 2009
Hunter 22 Groton
Tim,
Thanks for your description. Do you have pics for YOUR swing keel up/down haul ? I couldn't quite figure it out from your response.

No ideas at present regarding seating your toe rail other than using butyl rubber for "gasket material".

SeaTR

Jan 24, 2009
Hunter 22 Groton
.......All of the rigging had been stripped out of the well, so thank goodness for the diagrams you all had available. I swaged a 1/4" SS cable from the centerboard eye through the fwd pulley where I used a swaged eye to convert to 3/8" line to finish the pulley run and exit through the trunk past a spring cleat. As I haven't had it water yet, (darn!), the final adjustment hasn't been made.
........Holler if you need pics, and I still intend to upload a bunch when I get it done.

Tim
Tim,
Yes, I'd love to see your pix of the swing keel (centerboard) up/down haul line configuration. Is it done??

Are the pix available yet ??
Charlie

Jun 29, 2014
hunter 22 High Springs
Charlie,
Didn't spend anytime in my "Man-Cave" last weekend. My youngest was back from Iraq.

This was a little tougher than the rudder to provide some measurements to you. No part of the rudder is at a 90 degree angle. I used the angle iron and wooden shelving to create a square box. The 2 blue tape arrows you see on the aft edge are parrallel to each other. The "box" is square

Let me know if you need anything else. -Herv

I got a 81 Hunter 22 last week. The guy who I got it from has made a keel out of wood and fiberglass shaped close to the correct dimensions. My question is: What makes the keel stay in the down position? It seems this one will want to float.

Sep 3, 2013
Hunter 22 Lake Eufaula
the one I just bought from foss foam, weighs about ~150 lbs... for my 85 h22. weight keeps it down, but it is light enough to pull up with the line in the cabin.

SeaTR

Jan 24, 2009
Hunter 22 Groton
jimboh22,
Just for clarity's sake, are you talking about the swing keel ...or... the rudder ??

Jun 29, 2014
hunter 22 High Springs
jimboh22,
Just for clarity's sake, are you talking about the swing keel ...or... the rudder ??
Swing Keel. There is some water leaking in that I think is cuming from the bolts holding the keel in place. I read posts about installing cone shaped rubber washers on the threw bolts. It seems to me that the shaft that the keel swings on must take quite a bit of pressure when underway.

SeaTR

Jan 24, 2009
Hunter 22 Groton
jimboh22,
It sounds like you are already in the water. If so, it is possible to install these conical washers one at a time, BUT you risk losing the bolt to Davey Jones's Locker, which would add greatly to the complexity of replacement.

The keel bolts (you should have 4 of them) are typically the main candidates for water ingress on these H22s. The only other possible leak paths (sans hull failures / holes) are the galley drain and the OEM underwater log pennetrations. The conical neoprene washers have worked well for me for the keel bolt application. I back them with a ss fender washer (of diameter the same or slightly larger than the diameter of the washer) and a ss locknut.

One thing to consider prior to installation is to inspect the bolt hole penetration area / suface condition. It should be either smooth or slightly countersunk from inside the boat to ensure a good sealing surface for the conical washer. I 'prelube' the ss bolt with a PTFE based lubricant to minimize galling.

Torquing down on the ss bolt should be done gradually in order to only tighten enough to stop leakage (the ss bolts strip / fail easier than standard steel bolts). If any galling occurs, do not hesitate to immediately replace the bolt / locknut...It's important to get the max pressure with the minimum bolt damage. You'll be much happier with fewer concerns while underway.

I don't know how much force the swing keel pivot pin takes, but it's less than the types of keels that have the lead IN the swing keel, vs in the bilge on either side of the keel housing like these 80s H22s.

Have fun y'all.

SeaTR

Jan 24, 2009
Hunter 22 Groton
OK, one more time...with boat prep spring fever just around the next blizzard and the boat still behind a few snowdrifts here in S. New England (see attached pix), ... I need your help.

Does anyone have pictures of their 80's H22 swing keel/centerboard up-down haul arrangement ? My cable failed at the end of last season, and I "lived with" the keel/centerboard fully extended all the time. That included driving the boat onto the trailer at the boat ramp in New London,CT. BTW, that little evolution is not a lot of fun...filled with trepidation and stress, but lucky for me, I hit the trailer just right with the help of my daughter and daughter-in-law on the bow and stern lines.

Anywho, I don't think my installation is original, and the failure MAY be due to this configuration ... ??? (see my picture in post #122, above).

Attachments

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2010
In search of my next boat Palm Harbor, FL
Charlie, while I know the scale is off, and I no longer have my H22 to go check or take pics, this is as near as I can remember of how my keel raising mechanism was played out. Keep in mind that the keel only weighs 120-150#, it doesn't need that much of a purchase system to raise it. letting go on the keel line, drops the keel, pulling, raises.

Attachments

SeaTR

Jan 24, 2009
Hunter 22 Groton
Inarathree,
Thanks. Your diagram is quite similar to my general arrangement. I am trying to determine specific things like ...the cable diameter, type of pulley, and positioning of the pulley. Apparently, my cable was either undersized, have the wrong pulley for the application, or it's installed at the incorrect position.

BTW, Are you getting any of this cold weather (snow?) down in your part of Florida this year ? It's crazy up here this year in New England.

Good luck with your boat search!

SeaTR

Jan 24, 2009
Hunter 22 Groton
Inarathree,
Oh, you are a riot !!!

A ONE day winter (LOL) sounds enticing...who knows, maybe (some day soon) retirement will beckon me a bit more in the southerly direction for routine sailing activities.

SeaTR

Jan 24, 2009
Hunter 22 Groton
So....another season has come to an end in Southern New England, and
the query still stands:
Does anyone have details / pictures
(preferred) of their 80's H22 swing keel/centerboard up-down haul arrangement ?

My cable had failed previously and I don't think my installation is original, and the failure MAY be due to this configuration ... ??? (see my picture in post #122, above).

vielen dank, grazi and 10Q,
SeaTR

SeaTR

Jan 24, 2009
Hunter 22 Groton
So....another season has come to an end in Southern New England, and
the query still stands:
Does anyone have details / pictures (preferred) of their 80's H22 swing keel/centerboard up-down haul arrangement ?

My cable had failed previously and I don't think my installation is original, and the failure MAY be due to this configuration ... ??? (see my picture in post #122, above).

vielen dank, grazi and 10Q,
SeaTR
OK, with another season long completed and the latest snowstorm (Helen) just now easing from New England, now begins the winter job list work off, so my question is still open regarding the swing keel/centerboard up-down haul arrangement... see quote above.

Thanks in advance for ANY help!

SeaTR

SeaTR

Jan 24, 2009
Hunter 22 Groton
Well, my swing keel/centerboard up-down haul line failed early in the season this past summer, and was left with the swing keel/centerboard being extended for a number of months. I thought that I could live with it as the last maintenance on it was performed ~2yrs ago, and I had some level of confidence that the centerboard's "clanging" back and forth at the mooring would not cause undue wear.

I was mistaken !

The pivot hole was lined with what I believe to be PVC pipe epoxied to the centerboard and it wore nearly through its wall thickness. See pictures attached. Once again, this is a salvage boat, and I continue to get these little gotchas. Does anyone know what other types of materials I might use instead of the PVC pipe ??

Your help is MUCH appreciated!

Attachments