Need Rudder and swing keel dimensions (1981, H22)

Jun 16, 2010
In search of my next boat Palm Harbor, FL
Yeah, I sealed up my port lights too. I replaced all my electrical last year. I am not too worried about replacing the bulbs with LED, there just aren't enough of them, and I don't use them that much. I do need to drop my mast, so I can finish pulling the VHF coax to the top, which will also give me a chance to replace the anchor light, which went out last summer.

SeaTR

Jan 24, 2009
Hunter 22 Groton
Sooooooooo...

rockp2 --- Herv, any progress on your "project" ? Testing done on Lake Wallenpaupack? MAYBE by now, you’ve hit the water on the Chesapeake ?? Anymore tours to the Mideast by the family? I have a son-in-law who’s been periodically going over to Qatar.
Hunter 22
Auburn, PA (driveway)

armesy1954 -- how’d your keel replacement come along? OBTW, there IS lead in the swing keel…enough to counter-balance the keel only. Bulkhead replacement done ?? …I’m heading into that as my next project.
Hunter 22

inarathree -- ahh, forever sunny Florida... did you ACTUALLY haul out your H22 for its tri-annual hull inspection ? :-} Did you get a chance to test out the new main sail from www.peaksails.com ? …pulled the VHF coax up the mast / replace the anchor light ?
Hunter 22
Palm Harbor, FL

CKDK --- How’d the trailer lifting go for the swing keel shaft / bushing replacement ?? (OBTW, Muskegon, IL ?)
2 22
Muskegon

LDM --- did you get to make that “real sailboat trailer” for your
Hunter 22
North Creek, Bath, NC

rockp2

Apr 19, 2008
Hunter 22 Auburn, PA (driveway)
Well I thought I'd have a lot more time with retirement,,,,but I'm actually just as busy as I was before...*sigh*. Maybe this summer. How's yours doing?

SeaTR

Jan 24, 2009
Hunter 22 Groton
Herv,
Well, besides having a very truncated sailing season last year, I'm very satisfied with my swing keel from Foss Foam (in Fl) and the installation. Last year was extremely busy with "higher priorities" around the house (new furnace, flooring..) and at work, making the START of the sailing season for me delayed until late October and hauling out in December. It was worth it !! So, yes, I know how work on the boat can be OBE (overcome by events) sometimes. I've been working on mine for ~4 yrs now. I'm doing it in stages: "to trailer worklist", then "to sail worklist", and someday "to overnight worklist",

One thing about last year's sailing: there was not much traffic out on Fishers Is Sound or Long Is Sound to contend with.
;-}

Charlie

SeaTR

Jan 24, 2009
Hunter 22 Groton
armesy1954, RE: difficulty with your H22 swing keel...see the attached pix of my 1981 H22 swing keel configuration with some measured dimensions shown (hopefully enough info for you, if not, let me know what additional measurements you need). I bought from Foss Foam (FL) & installed it last year, and am quite satisfied so far.

If you have dimensions / pix of your swing keel available, maybe I or someone else on the forum may be able to give suggestions for your self-made swing keel fit.

Charlie

Attachments

Dec 14, 2009
Hunter 22 Naples
SeaTR said:
armesy1954, RE: difficulty with your H22 swing keel...see the attached pix of my 1981 H22 swing keel configuration with some measured dimensions shown (hopefully enough info for you, if not, let me know what additional measurements you need). I bought from Foss Foam (FL) & installed it last year, and am quite satisfied so far.

If you have dimensions / pix of your swing keel available, maybe I or someone else on the forum may be able to give suggestions for your self-made swing keel fit.

Charlie
Well, what do you know, that looks just like mine! I didn't have any pics of the swing keel installed. Looks like I'm off to the welders to raise the bunk boards a bit.
Thanks for the post, now all I have to do is replace the bulkheads, the forward hatch, the side windows, the aft hatch, ... Oh Heck! Maybe I'll just go sailing instead.
The rest of this stuff can just wait, Well, maybe not the bulkheads.
I'm traveling for work just now, when I get back I'll post some pics for your laughing pleasure.
Tim

SeaTR

Jan 24, 2009
Hunter 22 Groton
Tim,
Glad I could help, and look forward to your pix.

Yes, the various 'worklists' do not get any smaller when one does not work them... :-}
I know, my original worklist of repair / replace sundry items hasn't shrunk much in the 5 years I've been working on my salvage boat...BUT, the "to sail" portion of the list ALWAYS gets priority, so.. I HAVE been able to sail her for 3 of those years.

Funny how certain priorities are so much higher than others..
Charlie

Jun 16, 2010
In search of my next boat Palm Harbor, FL
Well I havent pulled out the boat yet, that wont happen till August/September time. Thats when its too hot to get out sailing, and the winds barely get above 5 knots. BUT my new main sail came this week... Its awesome! Two full battens, draft stripes, its all stiff (not like the bed sheet I have now) and its white. Unfortunately, I had surgery on my back also this week, and the Dr says no sailing for three or four weeks. Ehhh, what do doctors know, they are just practicing medicine. :)

SeaTR

Jan 24, 2009
Hunter 22 Groton
Back surgery, OUCH !
Hope your recovery goes well and doesn't hinder your sailing plans too much.

SeaTR

Jan 24, 2009
Hunter 22 Groton
armesy1954, How's the difficulty with your H22 swing keel coming along ?? ...did you find a fix for your installation ?? Pix of your 1981 H22 swing keel configuration may allow us to help you out...

SeaTR

Jan 24, 2009
Hunter 22 Groton
Inarathree, VERY PERDY !!

Now you've done it... I may have to think more seriously about replacing MY old rag bag sails:

Attachments

SeaTR

Jan 24, 2009
Hunter 22 Groton
Thanks y'all .. from 'So.' New England !!

..for all the suggestions on getting a good seal at my swing keel mounting bracket bolts. I had very little in-leakage this year AGAIN, compared to past years. This 'year' (May to October) was a bit longer than last year's (limited to November and December). And it was such a simple fix at that..conical neoprene washers.

And now it's the end of the Southern New England season for me..pulling her out this weekend. A sad time indeed.

Yes, I know, inarathree , there is NO end to your sunny FL "season". Just triennial haul outs. :)

armesy1954 -- Tim, did you replace your swing keel? Find time to sail this year with all your travelling?

rockp2 -- Herv, any progress on your H22 "project" ? Did you get to do any testing on Lake Wallenpaupack?

CKDK --- How’d the swing keel shaft / bushing replacement go? Get her in the water?

Dec 31, 2012
Hunter 22 Punta Gorda
Re: I have what you need

I didn't notice your thread. Do you still have a swing keel for an 81 hunter 22? I'm very interested. I just did the bottom job and am trying again to find a swing keel for this boat.
-greg

SeaTR

Jan 24, 2009
Hunter 22 Groton
Re: I have what you need

Greg,
I do NOT have a spare swing keel presently available. BUT, one may be obtained from:

Foss Foam Products of Florida, Inc.
(NewRudders.com)
7060 Highway 41 North,
Williston, FL 32696
email contact: BobWalker10@aol.com
or phone: 352-529-1104
Fax: 352-529-1106

SeaTR

Jan 24, 2009
Hunter 22 Groton
Scott,
Ya, funny how it works out that way sometimes !! But, then again, you would not now have that experience and newly acquired skills from doing it yourself. :-} It's all a part of the joy(s) of boat ownership.

Do you have any pictures of your 'creation' ? I'd love to see how you made out. We 'old boat'-ers need to keep in contact and share ideas and experiences.

Have fun with yours...I'm still digging out from another snowstorm here in So New England...only 6" this time. (Got 14" a few weeks back.) That's not bad compared to my son in Massachusetts (12") and daughter in central CT with 10". I'll take the lower snowfall amounts here on the temperate coastline! ...nothing like the snowfalls you get down there I bet !!

Charlie

SeaTR

Jan 24, 2009
Hunter 22 Groton
armesy1954,
Haven't heard you pipe up for a while.

Find time to sail this year with all your travelling?
How'd your H22 swing keel situation go?? ...did you find a fix for your installation ?? Let me know if I can help. Send some pix of YOUR 1981 H22 swing keel / installation sometime when you get a chance...

Charlie

SeaTR

Jan 24, 2009
Hunter 22 Groton
OK, who HAS modified / repaired (or WILL do so with) their H22 swing keel up/down haul installation? I'm in the process of trying to upgrade / replace mine.

inarathree ?
armesy1954 -- Tim, did you rework your swing keel up/down haul during the replacement of your swing keel?
rockp2 -- Herv, any work in that area?
CKDK --- Did you rework your swing keel up/down haul during your the swing keel shaft / bushing replacement?

Even if you have not done any work on it, maybe you have some pictures of your swing keel up/down haul installation?