Need Rudder and swing keel dimensions (1981, H22)

Jun 16, 2010
In search of my next boat Palm Harbor, FL
I had bought a bronze bushing from hunter22.net. I sent my bronze bushing to Foss to install when they were making my keel. I assumed that they would be using it instead of the delrin bushing that should be part of the standard build. When I received my rudder I just had to drill out a little of the hole so the pin would push in more easily.

But if Foss didn't install any bushing of any kind, you will need one. I suggest looking at hunter22.net for a bronze one, he also has matching s.s. pins for them. Drilling is just a matter of a drill bit large enough for the diameter of your bushing, maybe a tiny bit larger. Probably a lock or door bit, then epoxy it in place. I did the same thing on a smaller scale when I put a bronze bushing in my rudder to fix the wear on it.

SeaTR

Jan 24, 2009
Hunter 22 Groton
Thanks once again Inarathree !
Yes, it's hole saw time then.
Hopefully soon enough I'll get 'er back in the water.
...barring any other 'higher priority' situations.

Aug 11, 2011
O'day 30 313 Georgetown MD
I am DEFINITELY going to purchase or fabricate one of those bars that connects the motor and the rudder so they swing in unison. -Herv

Did you ever actually mount this. It sounds like a great idea. Pictures and source would be great.

SeaTR

Jan 24, 2009
Hunter 22 Groton
rockP2 ... info requested

Herv,

'twodzusfittings' is interested in your "bar" to tie the engine and rudder together so they operate in unison. Have you already done this? Can you help him out?( You mentioned this idea waaaayyy back in Feb 2009 )

Did you ever actually mount this. It sounds like a great idea. Pictures and source would be great.

rockp2

Apr 19, 2008
Hunter 22 Auburn, PA (driveway)
Re: rockP2 ... info requested

Hey Charlie!
Been awhile...unfortunately I still have not been able to put the H22 in the water...one thing after the other keeps popping up. I'll touch it here and there, but have not got to fabricating that bar system yet. Good to hear from you and I am glad to read that you are enjoying your boat. -Herv

SeaTR

Jan 24, 2009
Hunter 22 Groton
Inarathree & rockp2,
wooow, wooow! new swing keel is installed. FINALLY, the boat became a priority amongst all the "to-do" list items! I'm looking to put my H22 in the water within a week or so. YES, I know, it's nearly October, but some really good sailing happens this time of year. I'm willing go to through launch and retrieval for a couple of weeks of availability.

SeaTR

Jan 24, 2009
Hunter 22 Groton
Does anyone have any suggestions for 'sealing' the through-hull keel bolts. I've tried using rubber gasket material, but have less than satisfactory results even with only 3" of water in the bilge while on the trailer...stilll leaked .

HELP !!

Jun 16, 2010
I used a liberal coating of 5200, which to my surprise, did not hold like I expected. When I next pull her out next summer (yes in FL we pull boats out in the summer) I will redo the bolts with rubber cone washers. At least that's what I think they are called. By any name they are rubber washer, that tightly fit the bolt, and are slightly fatter at one end. A metal washer is placed between the cone washer and nut. When tightened, the rubber washer is compressed and squished, creating a water tight seal. I have heard of others doing this, but personal results are a year away.

SeaTR

Jan 24, 2009
Hunter 22 Groton
Inarathree,

Thanks, I'll give it a try! I'm running out of ideas. My prior installation from the PO was to epoxy a nut in place, screw the bolt through, then double nut it for the seal. That resulted in a few drops a minute (bilge pump and battery kept up with it). I'll let you know how it works when I launch ....soon.

SeaTR

Jan 24, 2009
Hunter 22 Groton
Inarathree,
I'm on the water (first of the YEAR) with my new swing keel from Foss Foam. Your idea (conical washers) works great on the keel bolt sealing!!
thanks again,

SeaTR

Jan 24, 2009
Hunter 22 Groton
Inarathree,
You bettcha'...it was better than nice, we set a new record high at 83 degrees yesterday!
Did we top even you in FL?

OBTW. there is some leakby on my keel bolt installation. I retorqued the nuts to see if it could be stopped. I'll let you know tomorrow (planning on going out again on Wednesday). It may be a challenge as the weather is looking towards showers and storms. We'll see. Nonetheless, it's better than being at 'work'. :)

SeaTR

Jan 24, 2009
Hunter 22 Groton
Well, it took a little while to get back out to the boat, but after retorquing the nuts on the keel bolts...leakage is significantly reduced. My place of business is going through a frantic period, and I'm unable to get in as much of my fall sailing as I had anticipated.

20-25 kts with gusts to 35 kts and 65 degrees yesterday...even though it was a day off, I did not even consider "motoring around" on the Sound. It would have been too challenging!

All in all, I'm VERY satisfied with Foss Foam's swing keel and Ida Rudder's rudder. It only took 3 years to get to this point, but I learned much in the process. Thanks again for your help!

Apr 27, 2010
Hunter 23 Lake Wallenpaupack
Various people have recommended butyl rubber tape for rebedding deck fittings - maybe that would also work under keel bolts.

SeaTR

Jan 24, 2009
Hunter 22 Groton
Butyl rubber tape under the keel bolts.. Hmmmm

Exa: Nashua: Butyl Rubber Tape, Width 2 Inches/48 Millimeters, Gauge 17 Mils, Adhesion 200 Ounces per Inch, Performance Temperature 200 Degrees Fahrenheit, Tensile Strength 17 Pounds/Inches, Rolls per Case 24, Yards per Roll 33.3, For Sealing Application. Mfr. Model # 681497. the max pressure seen by my boat at the keel bolts would be 18" of water (~.66 psi)

And very maleable at that!

Another option to consider. Thanks a grunch!

SeaTR

Jan 24, 2009
Hunter 22 Groton
OBTW---A pix of working on my new swing keel from Foss Foam. Used a nylon round stock drilled to accept a 1/2" SS rod purchased from a hardware store for the bushing and pivot point.

I just can't get to the boat much for my "fall sails" as my work demands a lot of OT. Soon though, I'll be getting back out for the FINAL Fal Sail. Long Island Sound water temp is dropping very quickly, presently at 57'F (warmer than air temp).

Attachments

SeaTR

Jan 24, 2009
Hunter 22 Groton
S-a-t-i-s-f-a-c-t-i-o-n

inarathree and rockp2,

I forgot to let you guys know how the fall 2011 season ended... well the above title sums it up !!

I sailed on Long Island Sound until the second week in December and had NO problems with swing keel leakage / performance. I did not have too many first mates go out with me as the air temperature got down to the low 40's, BUT the water temperature held up above 50'F (my lower limit).

It was so late in the season that the state public boat launches had removed all of the floating docks from my primary, secondary, and tertiary ramps. So I drove the boat up onto the trailer..with my 6 hp Tohatsu (@maybe 7 knots), and made it OK. That was scarry for me!

Anywho, inarathree, how's the sailing season in Florida?

rockp2, any progress on your boat over the past 6 months?

Jun 16, 2010
Glad to hear you got out. Although your temp is a bit low for me, but that wouldn't have stopped me from getting out. Too bad I don't make business trips to NY area anymore. I could always stay a couple extra days.

I have gotten out three times in January, and three times in February. Good times. I usually keep this site up to date with tracks, pics, and work done.

On the weekends that I haven't gotten out, usually cause of weather, I have been following MaineSails directions for restoring the gelcoat. So I have done the cockpit completely, and gotten as far as wet sanding the deck and combing. I will do the hull this summer when I pull her out for her bi-annual haul-out.

On another note, I bought a new main sail yesterday, which will take 3-4 weeks to get here. Comparing all the specifications from about a dozen different sites, including visiting two sail lofts in St Petersburg, best price I found was from peaksails.com.

SeaTR

Jan 24, 2009
Hunter 22 Groton
Bi-annual haul out.. Yes, I'm still jealous !

Hey I'd take three times in January, and three times in February! (just not here, water temp is ~43'F . thanks for the link to your site , I'll pop in periodically.

Yes, restoring the gelcoat is high on my work list (which keeps getting longer...) as well. I need to finish & install the salon bilge boards first (Ipe & maple vs teak & holly). Next will be various electrical items (new VHF, cable, and antenna - replacement salon LED lights).

Took a lightning strike at the end of the 2010 season.. I imagine you are familiar with that phenomenom (I think Florida is the "lightning capitol of the U.S"). After that, replace both v-berth ports (right now, they're inoperable, sealed, and caulked up tight).

Nice thing is..for my purposes, NONE of these MUST be done prior to srping launch, it's just definitely easier to do on the hard ! :-}