Need recessed instrument panel blanks

May 6, 2010
1984 Oday 39 79 Milwaukee
I would like to find a source for a new recessed housing approximately 16" wide by 6 - 8" high to mount in the cockpit, into which would go a new blank recessed engine instrument panel. I have the instruments but would like to layout my own panel and not spend $400-500 for a ready made one. Any suggestions?

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Get some fiberglass and gel coat supplies, make a mold out of plywood and build your own.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
If you like the look of wood. Wood works great. I've made them for RVs before. Cost of wood and a few hours of careful measurement, the right sized hole saw, fine sandpaper and good spar varnish. It shouldn't cost a lot. However, a pro would probably charge about half the number you posted. That's what I would charge.

-Will (Dragonfly)

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
I made my own panel using ABS sheets from onlinemetals.com I think you could get it at Tapp plastics also

For the recessed panel look for som Tupperware about the right side and use that as a mold. Paint inside with pva, then bush a couple coats of gelcoat followed by a couple layers of CSM,

Also frontpanels.com

Mine cost $3.00.

980EDC5D-EFDD-4DAA-A7D0-4A54C3557F70.jpeg

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
You can buy a 4' x 8' PVC board at Lowes. You will have a lot left over but... if you want to take @Will Gilmore 's idea and do it in a nice hard white plastic instead of wood (less maint.) you could go that route. Wood looks salty but takes effort to varnish. If you go wood, consider hiding the seams by gluing some light 3-strand nylon line as the "trim". That adds a very salty look. I've used 3-strand as "trim" in several boats that I have restored and always get a lot of compliments on the look.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
You can buy a 4' x 8' PVC board at Lowes. You will have a lot left over but... if you want to take @Will Gilmore 's idea and do it in a nice hard white plastic instead of wood (less maint.) you could go that route. Wood looks salty but takes effort to varnish. If you go wood, consider hiding the seams by gluing some light 3-strand nylon line as the "trim". That adds a very salty look. I've used 3-strand as "trim" in several boats that I have restored and always get a lot of compliments on the look.
I second the no maintenance. I built this panel out of scraps of Ipe from the cockpit I built. The panel is unfinished like the rest of the Ipe in the cockpit, and slowly turning gray.

Because it doesn't see direct sunlight it's weathering slowly after two seasons in the weather. An engine panel can take a beating from feet which the 1/4" sliding Lexan panel protects against.
Engine panel 2 years old.jpg

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Reminds me of the olden days when we boys would put an LP record over a glass bowl and pop it in the oven to melt. Makes a nice bowl! Same deal, with a sheet of plastic... make a wooden form, lay the plastic over it, and into the oven. I'll leave it to you to figure out the details.

May 6, 2010
1984 Oday 39 79 Milwaukee
Reminds me of the olden days when we boys would put an LP record over a glass bowl and pop it in the oven to melt. Makes a nice bowl! Same deal, with a sheet of plastic... make a wooden form, lay the plastic over it, and into the oven. I'll leave it to you to figure out the details.
I have access to all sorts of ABS and other plastics cut offs at a nearby plastics supplier - I have thought about attempting this.