Need Ideas on Galley Back Splash

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
Hi All:
Our 44DS has a long plastic back splash just forward of the galley sinks, presumably to prevent water from splashing onto the settee cushions. Over time the back splash has become cloudy in the vicinity of the sinks. It remains clear away from the sinks. I have tried various treatments to return the clarity, including Turtle Wax headlight restorer. Regardless of the treatment the cloudiness returns in a short time. It seems to be a surface condition, like many fine hazy scratches. I wonder if others have seen this condition and have discovered a treatment that works better than the ones I have tried. It's kind of an eyesore and, short of having a new one made, I certainly would like to find a treatment that could be a once a season kind of thing.
Thank you for your thoughts.
Rick

Aug 26, 2007
Hunter 41DS Ventura, California
An easy solution would be to get paint and frost it if you don't care about transparency.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Sounds like you tried my first thought. As in #2, maybe just frost the whole thing? I live on a ground floor unit, and the windows are low for prying eyes. I frost-painted the first window, and that worked sufficiently. For the second window I used my sander with extra-fine paper in it. I went north/south on one side of the plexiglass, east-west on the other side. Back in place, I found it worked like a fresnel lense, and the room looked brighter. Took a pic of the other end of the room with and without the frosted pane, and there was notable difference. Not saying that will get your dishes cleaner, though.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Most likely someone has cleaned the thing with the wrong cleaner, damaging the acrylic deeply. Have Tony at Hatchmasters make you a new one, he loves these kind of challenges. When you reinstall your beautiful new backsplash put a label on it - “clean with soap and water ONLY”.

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
The smart thing to do is REMOVE all cleaners from the boat that are not safe for clear plastics. Otherwise, someone will "help."

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Once you've exhausted all cleaning options and before you replace it, try 2000 grit sand paper followed by 4000 grit paper, followed by a high gloss automotive buffing compound and buffing wheel. If it is just scratches, a thin layer of bar top acrylic resin can make it disappear too.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Yeah, remove the plexi part from its brackets and take it to a local plastics shop.. They can probably cut one out fro you for $50.. then you are done.. No paper towels and no abrasive cleaners as others have noted.. I find that a good clean microfiber rag works fine with a little soapy water.. like this:
https://www.harborfreight.com/microfiber-cleaning-cloth-12x12-4-pk-63358.html
Often they will have a coupon where they are free with another purchase.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
Try Meguires Plastic X with buffer pad and did use it on my dodger windows before
getting new ones and now they look like new.
Do this if ready to buy new.
Nick

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Do not allow cleaners on your boat that contain Ammonia. The Windex is gone from my boat cleaning.
Jim...