Need help with the type sanitation.

Tim66

Oct 19, 2017
O’day 34 ct
I just bought an O’day 34 and I wanted to know what type of sanitation is on this boat? They ask it on the registration ( type 1,2 or 3 or a combination of those 3 types, does anyone know the answer? And what model name is

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
If it has a holding tank, portapotty, composter or any other device that's designed to receive and hold but NOT discharge human body waste, it has a Type 3. If it has a Lectra/San, ElectroScan or PuraSan (the name will be on it) treatment device , it has a Type I. Most boats that have treatment devices also have a holding tank. It would not have a Type II...those are treatment devices for boats over 65'.
It appears you're kinda new with boats big enough to have a sanitation system...in which case I think you'll find my book (see link in my signature below) very useful. The title is a bit misleading...although it does deal with every source of odor on a boat and how to cure, or better yet PREVENT, 'em. it's actually a comprehensive "marine toilets and sanitation systems 101" manual that explains the laws, describes all the types of systems and will help you learn how to operate and maintain your system to prevent 90% of problems instead of having to cure 'em. 'Cuz you get to do any preventive maintenance on your terms when it's convenient...the need to cure a problem NEVER happens when it is!
And I'm always glad to answer any questions it doesn't.

--Peggie
"If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't completely understand it yourself." --Albert Einstein

May 12, 2004
Hunter Cherubini 30 New Port Richey
Yes, buy Peggy's book. Some of the best boat bucks you'll spend.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Ok thanks for the help . It actually is my first boat.
Then you've come to the right place! I suggest that in addition to the Oday forum you also monitor Ask All Sailors, Plumbing & Sanitation, and Engines and Propulsion ...they're all under Forums For All Owners. Or you could just check out All Forums, All Discussions, which posts just the newest posts (you can get back to the beginning of any threads that look interesting to you) in all forums. It only takes a couple of minutes to skim through all the headers. You can learn a lot by doing that before you find out you needed to know it!

--Peggie

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
Good advice... I recall when I bought our first big boat I really "did not know what I did not know"
:)

Tim66

Oct 19, 2017
O’day 34 ct
The reason I was asking about the type of sanitation, was they asked me about it on the registration form. I am good to go and now registered. I would like to thank everyone for their help and I will be getting that book. If I might ask one more question, the depth sounder does not work. I have a tick tac knot and depth gauge, the speed part is working. So I was thinking it is the wiring to the transmitter or transducer. Does anyone know where they are located in the boat? Any help is appreciated.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
If it is Tack Tick, as you mention.... aren't they wireless? Otherwise, follow the cable from the display. And that would be an aftermarket installation, there is no standard location. However... owners will usually install the transducer where it can be easily accessed so first look under the vee berth, or in the area just in front of or behind the keel near the center line of the boat.
You should also study the "owner's book", which would be a collection of manuals concerning the devices and equipment installed by previous owners. Hoping you have something like that... most boat owners will save those things as they make changes to their boats and pass them on the next owner. Good luck.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
If I might ask one more question, the depth sounder does not work. I have a tick tac knot and depth gauge, the speed part is working. ....
Is the boat in the water???

Tim66

Oct 19, 2017
O’day 34 ct
Yes it is in a slip in Maryland
Thanks for the information on depth sounder. I heard it is wireless. But th components are wired to transmitter, then it is transmitted to readout on the controller by companionway.