Need Help With Port Sizes For a 37c

Jan 22, 2008
Cherubini 37c HULL#37 Alameda
We have recently purchased a 1979 Cherubini 37c hull#37. The boat is in California and we in Texas. We need to order new ports from Gray-Bomar and are coming up with conflicting part #'s. We need the actual factory part #'s which are different from the #'s listed on this sites store. There are 4 smallish ports foward. 6 larger ports mid ship and 1 in the aft cabin/cockpit. If someone has this information it would save us a lot of trouble.
Thanks in advance.

Jun 8, 2004
C&C Frigate 36 St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia
The small ports are the 512 (~5" X 12") and the large ones are 715 (~7" X 15"). For the 1979 model year, the distribution of small & large is as you indicated. The Gray ports sold here at the SBO chandlery should be drop in replacements.

Jan 22, 2008
The small ports are the 512 (~5" X 12") and the large ones are 715 (~7" X 15"). For the 1979 model year, the distribution of small & large is as you indicated. The Gray ports sold here at the SBO chandlery should be drop in replacements.
Any idea what the spigot depth is ? I'm in Texas. The boat is in SF and I need to order them. I'm not able to measure the cabin walls thickness.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2004
Spigot depth should be 2". (1" won't make it on most of the ports... but I ended up trimming some of the 2" spigots after installation - just looked better).

tmjb

Mar 13, 2012
Hunter 36C Glen Cove
Based on my recent experience of buying 512's, 715's and 818's for my H36, only the longer spigots 2+" (varied a little by port type) are currently available so I don't think you have a choice. You need some extension beyond the trim ring anyway to make a proper seal and can trim where you find excessive as noted above.

Johnb

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37-cutter Richmond CA
We just got finished installing 10 nfm ports in our 83 HC 37. If you have gray ports you will need to fill in the holes because the nfm are just a bit smaller. Also the wall thickness is variable, thinnest toward the bow. In the 2 forward most ports in the main cabin the plywood transitioned from .75 to.5 In the middle of the window. Finally you better be ready to deal with water damage. And also make new indents for the drains.

All that said we are delighted with the result. We sprang for glass and are are pleased with that too. Feel free to pm if you want to talk about it.

Jan 22, 2008
Based on my recent experience of buying 512's, 715's and 818's for my H36, only the longer spigots 2+" (varied a little by port type) are currently available so I don't think you have a choice. You need some extension beyond the trim ring anyway to make a proper seal and can trim where you find excessive as noted above.
What did you use to trim the spigots ?

tmjb

Mar 13, 2012
Hunter 36C Glen Cove
I am only part way through installing mine (sailing season took preference) and those that I installed so far did not need trimming. However on a previous boat with similar Beckson ports I trimmed the spigots with a hacksaw followed by sanding. Came out fine. I think a fine circular blade on a Dremel would also be good. The trimming would be easier/neater if you rig some sort of a spacer/guide to maintain a constant offset from the trim ring.

sailnc

Sep 6, 2014
Hunter 37C New Bern, NC
So glad I stumbled onto this discussion! We have a 1981 model H37C -- are the port sizes and models the same as the 1979?
Thanks!
Tom

Johnb

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37-cutter Richmond CA
The Gray ports are drop in replacements, but we renewed 8 of ours and 10 years later the new ones were falling apart. Strangely 3 of the originals were in better shape and they were 30 years old. For this reason we went with New Found Metals, which even with glass instead of plastic, were not that much more expensive. The down side is they are more work to install. Chances are you are going have to deal with water damage by the way so be prepared to dig out soggy plywood and fill.

Jun 8, 2004
So glad I stumbled onto this discussion! We have a 1981 model H37C -- are the port sizes and models the same as the 1979?
Thanks!
Tom
Pre-1982 models have 6 large ports and 5 small (one of the small is in the quarter berth cabin). 1982 and 1983 have 4 large ports and 8 small (one in the quarter berth and one in the galley opening to the cockpit). 1984 & 1985 have the large fixed windows and just 6 small opening ports. I believe.

Oct 30, 2014
Hunter Cherubini 37 Ladysmith
We just got finished installing 10 nfm ports in our 83 HC 37. If you have gray ports you will need to fill in the holes because the nfm are just a bit smaller. Also the wall thickness is variable, thinnest toward the bow. In the 2 forward most ports in the main cabin the plywood transitioned from .75 to.5 In the middle of the window. Finally you better be ready to deal with water damage. And also make new indents for the drains.

All that said we are delighted with the result. We sprang for glass and are are pleased with that too. Feel free to pm if you want to talk about it.
Did use Newfoundmetal 512SS and 715SS with 1 1/2" or 2" spigots? I'm about to do the same project to my 82 37C.

Jun 8, 2004
Ed Schenck installed NFM ports in his H37C - maybe send him a PM.