Need Help in Search for a Catalina

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Sid_Apollo

Hi. We're in the process of searching for a Catalina, and are interested in finding a used vessel between 34 and 42 feet. We're planning to spend January through March each year cruising the Caribbean.

I have several questions, and feel free to answer them all, or just stick to ones you feel you might be able to offer assistance with. As you once did, I am learning the ropes as I go, and have done quite a bit of research already. But I figured there'd be no better resource than to take some of my questions directly to those who have first-hand knowledge of Catalina Yachts -- you, the owners. So here I go...

--If you could list 2-3 items that are most essential in choosing a quality pre-owned vessel, what would they be? (To give you an idea of what I've tended to look for, I've been looking for models built in 1995 or after, with low hours on the engine (have read that Yanmar is preferable to Westerbeke -- is that true?), and with as much quality navigational gear as possible (would love to find something with Raymarine E Series or better)

--If I choose to go with a smaller (34-36) length, will I be okay with what we intend to use it for (cruiding the Caribbean, possibly sailing up the Intercoastal Waterway to the Great Lakes)?

--Conversely, if we choose something larger (40-42), will it be a manageable size for just my wife and I to handle (given that we're fairly amateur sailors)?

--I'd like to have a radar display that shows 150 NM, but rarely see any that display more than about 48 NM. Is it unheard of to have such a display? Any recommendations on where to look?

--Are there other essential items that I should make sure I own before venturing out? Are there things you wished you'd had when you first started out?

--Is it safe to sail alone in the Caribbean? Is there such a thing as groups of Catalinas who follow the same course, and kind of stick together for safety? (You hear of all sorts of scary situations taking place, so I was just wondering if it's commonplace to sail in small groups)

--Any other recommendations? Feel free to share any insights, or stories, or ideas.

Thanks so much!

Mike

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
Radar...

--I'd like to have a radar display that shows 150 NM, but rarely see any that display more than about 48 NM. Is it unheard of to have such a display? Any recommendations on where to look?

Mike
You won't find that as 72nm is usually the absolute biggest on recreational boats. Even on big boats a 72nm radar is only used for weather as it can't see targets more than 12-15 miles away depending on height. Plus a 72nm open array radar antenna is 6 feet wide and heavy!!!!

Radar is line of sight and the curvature of the earth prevents much real distance.

A 20 foot antenna height with a 90 foot tall target (tanker) still only gets you returns at about 16.75 miles...

This chart is from Consumers Marine Electronics (LINK)

S

Sid_Apollo

Thanks

Thanks, Maine Sail. I guess even a Raymarine G Series wouldn't give me what I was hoping for, huh? I just was hoping to be able to see what's out there well in advance. Will a 24nm or 48nm display be sufficient?

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Mike
It may be a misconception that a very long range radar is preferable to a shorter one. Consider first where you might be sailing in terms of range as it is unusual to find any sailboat, regardless of size, having a radar range of more than 48 miles. It is essentially useless at that range,however, the real benefit of a longer range radar is in terms of power. The range is a function of power and the more power, the greater discrimination which helps in "seeing", tracking and hopefully avoiding approaching weather. The other benefit of power is in terms of close-in discrimination - with a weak low range radar, you'll see the tug towing a barge but it takes a powerful longer-range radar to see the tow line between them.

Also, to state the obvious, unless you are using it for nav purposes, the only real concern when using the radar is for collision avoidance and as you obviously aren't going to hit something 48 miles away, you are usually more concerned with close-in discrimination.

The other consideration is weight aloft - you don't want a huge, heavy array up the mast.

Bottom line - a 12 mile range radar is good; a 24 miles range radar is better, etc...

With respect to the choice of boat, there is nothing wrong with Catalinas for your intended purpose but there are a myriad of other types of boats which will equivalently serve your purpose well so don't be limited to one specific brand - it's a buyers market so find the best maintained, best priced boat which fits your needs regardless of the nameplate.

S

Sid_Apollo

Thanks, Don..

I appreciate you taking the time to provide feedback to me about radar. Not sure if you saw my initial inquiry about radar, but I had been thinking it was possible to have a display that would show 150ish nm. Maine Sail, however, informed me that it is very unlikely that would ever happen, though.

So, I guess what I'm still wondering is whether a 48nm display will allow enough time to change course and head out of the way of an approaching storm. I really have no idea how quickly a typical storm might move. It sounds like most people get along fine with 24nm or 48nm displays. And I'm trying to envision a 6-foot wide open array radar antenna, which is what Maine Sail said is typical with a 72nm radar.

What do you use, and what would you use if you could choose the top-of-the-line, best system available?

In terms of boats, I guess I have just been leaning toward a Catalina model, as I've heard many great reviews on them, and I like the design. However, that isn't to say I wouldn't consider other manufacturers, as well. I'm also looking at Hans Christian, and Hanse. Do you have any advice that might steer me toward one brand over another? I'd prefer to find something for $150,000 or less, but might consider something higher if I felt the quality was enough to warrant the extra money.

Thanks, Don.

Mike

S

Sid_Apollo

Engine Hours?

One other thing I forgot to ask about was, as a general rule, how many hours might be considered "too many" on a deisel engine? Obviously, that has a direct effect on the cost of a pre-owned boat, but is 1,000 too many? 2,000? At what point does engine usage come into play in the buying process? Should we stick to looking for vessels that have 500 or less hours only?

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Re: Thanks, Don..

I am not sure there is a "best" in terms of radar but I am in a somewhat similar situation as you in that I am thinking of replacing my green screen radar with something more contemporary and therefore have been looking into which one I'd select. Given the other instrumentation aboard my boat, I am somewhat limited in the slelection as I want it to interface with the already existing stuff which leads me to suggest you might wait on this choice until you find a boat you want - the cart before the horse analogy.

There is a world of difference in terms of build construction quality between a Catalina and a Hans Christian, the latter being considered an offshore boat which leads me to the second suggestion - too many people go looking for a boat without first considering where they will be sailing. Pick a boat based on your needs rather than any other criteria and a C is fine for coastal and Caribbean trips.

Lastly, 500 engine hours is barely broken in. On the other hand, 5,000 might be time for a complete overhaul depending on history and maintenance - there is no definitive line between okay and too many hours. Just like a car, it all depends on how well it's been cared for.

S

Sid_Apollo

Radar and AIS?

My main concern is weather, and avoiding storms if possible. In that light, it is important to "see" the weather coming from further away, getting a fix on it's movement and speed, so that you can set a course away from danger. I've looked around a little bit, but can anyone give me some more info on how expensive a 50 to 72 nm radar range would run, and whether it would be too difficult to mount or set up on, say, a C36? If anyone can share information on this, I would be very interested.

I'm also wondering about the AIS indentification system for ships. I read that you can sync this with your radar and it gives you positive identification of approaching ships, their course and also warns of possible collisions that may occur. I could imagine this would be great to have if locked up in a fog. Does anyone out there do this, or know anything else about it?

Thanks so much for the feedback I've been getting...

Mike

Feb 6, 1998
I'd Buy..

One other thing I forgot to ask about was, as a general rule, how many hours might be considered "too many" on a deisel engine? Obviously, that has a direct effect on the cost of a pre-owned boat, but is 1,000 too many? 2,000? At what point does engine usage come into play in the buying process? Should we stick to looking for vessels that have 500 or less hours only?
I bought mine with about 2700 and I feel she's barely broken in. Diesels like to be run under load. I'd personally rather buy a boat where the owner had to motor an hour to open sailing and also maintained it. I'd buy a well maintained engine with 2000 hours that had been run & maintained over a poorly maintained engine with 300 hours run for 15 minutes at a whack...

Short runs do more to damage diesel engines than long hours under load..

It's a good idea to have an engine survey and an oil analysis done!

Feb 6, 1998
Forget 48 or 72 nm radar

My main concern is weather, and avoiding storms if possible. In that light, it is important to "see" the weather coming from further away, getting a fix on it's movement and speed, so that you can set a course away from danger.
Mike forget focusing so much a 48 or 72 nm radar on a 36 footer and instead focus on a GPS plotter that has a weather subscription available like the new Garmin's and Raymarine units. For most uses a 24nm or 36nm radar is more than adequate..

Weather prediction is very good these days and radar, even at 48 or 72 nm, is not going to get you out of range if you are far enough off shore.

Weather service subscriptions are the way to go as well as many other services to alert you to weather including SSB networks. Weather fax was the older model but I don't believe to many use it these days.

Jun 19, 2004
Catalina 387 Hull # 24 Port Charlotte, Florida
To Help You Some

Let's see where I can begin. I am curious why you picked a Catalina. Is there something about it over other boats that has you leaning in that direction? I have a Catalina because when I was like you, planning on getting a boat in the range you have cited, I stumbled on my Catalina by accident. I was actually looking at older boats with an interest in Tartan's, Island Packets, Bristol's, Morris, Tayana's, but not in particular a Catalina. One day when I went to look at an IP, the broker asked me if I would be interested in looking at a Catalina, a brand new Catalina, to which I replied that I couldn't afford a new Catalina. Well, he told me that the kind of boats I was looking at were in the same price range as the new Catalina he had. So we looked at the Catalina. And, there it was, brand new, big, roomy, set up with what I felt was important to me at the time. Lots of room, the ability to single hand it, lots of creature comforts, and something that I felt that I would not grow out of in a rather short time frame. It was rated by Catalina as being enough boat to handle the requirements of off shore and coastal crusing. The boat had(s) enough room for 4 to 6 people to spend a long weekend together on board, and lots of room for 2 people to spend lots of time together on board. It is set up ideally for 2 people, it only has one head, doesn't need two. And I don't need two heads, since at the most, for an extended period of time, I won't have any more than 2 people aboard.

A primary concern of mine was that I wanted to get something that I would not feel like I had outgrown in a couple years. So, when I looked at the 387, it fit that requirement. I felt it was huge at the time. Now, after 4 and 1/2 years, it is still big enough for me to feel like I have enough room, and be able to single hand. So, that is one question I would ask myself if I were you.

To me, there is a great difference between a 34 and a 42. Have you physically been aboard the two of them? If you plan on wanting to spend the winter aboard it, I would think that you would want to have lots of room to store lots of stuff. But maybe, you don't require as much creature comforts as I do. I'm lazy basically, so that's why I have a TV in the main salon and one in my cabin, so I can watch TV and crash out also without having to get up and move to my bed. My preference would be for the larger end boats up in the high 30's to the 40-42 foot range. It's all about cost and what your comfort levels are.

OK, I would consider that water, fuel and holding tank capacity would be important to you, they are for me. Since you are looking at used, then something with a water maker would be a plus. Also, energy management is a big issue. Spending the winters down south, you more than likely will spend considerable time on the hook. Solar panels, gen sets, wind generators, DC/AC inverters, battery banks; these should be something that you would want to look at closely. There are lots of reference to these topics in the archives here.

Communications are something else. How important is e-mail to you? An SSB is a nice radio to have to be able to get e-mail, and weather data from. While the radar is invaluable for seeing immediate weather, a weather fax will keep you informed as weather systems develop a couple days out. Like Maine Sail said about the radar, you can only see so far due to the curvature of the earth; knowing about a low pressure system that is developing several days ahead of time can give you enough time to make a major change of location if necessary.

What about sail inventory? I knew that I would be single handing my boat more of the time than not, so having roller furling systems was important to me. I had no plans to race and and be involved in competition, so I was willing to make performance sacrifice for ease of handling, so I opted for the furling systems so I could very quickly and easily hang the laundry out or put it away if I needed to. If you are going to be a purist and hoist sails, then having different sails for the different wind conditions would be another important consideration.

Something else that is important that you would want to look for is ground tackle. Down in the islands, lots of chain is important and several heavy anchors. There have been many many discussions here about anchors. All I can say about that is good luck :D in trying to figure out what the best is. You can ask 10 different people here about anchors and get more answers than 10.

You mention the E-series for your Chart plotter. Fairly high dollar, perhaps you may find that to not focus on the electronics at first and focus more so on ship board systems will add more value to what is important. After you have spent a couple seasons getting to know the boat you pick out, and also spending some time looking at all the electronic equipment, right before you get ready to bust loose, then you may find the cost of electronics has come down, and you may be able to get something with newer technology for a better price than you will find right now.

What all have you sailed so far? If you haven't done so yet, be sure and take some safe boating classes. Taking some ASA classes (like basic keel boat and coastal crusing) may help you figure out what is important when you go to pick out a boat also.

OK, good luck, I'm done. Let us know what you wind up doing. Welcome aboard. Tom

Sep 10, 2007
Catalina 34mkII NJ
Size (of boats) Matters.....

Especially when it comes to boats. Buy the biggest boat you can afford. i started out on a 22 ft and moved up to a 27 Catalina and now a 2002 Catalina 34 MKII and I am perfectly happy with the size.
A larger boat means more expenses but the trade off is well worth it. You are concidering a big range in size. Try to find a 34 foot and42 foot and TRY to sail on each. Most owners would love to take you out for a sail if you tell them your intentions. A friend of mine owns a 2007 Catalina 42. It is a great boat especially since they have 3 childern. I only have one daughter so the 34 is perfect for us. I do beleive any boat in your size range are "go anywhere" boats. Enjoy and keep us informed...

S

Sid_Apollo

Response to ITMaster

Why a Catalina? My response would be, "Why not a Catalina?" I know there are lots of other possibilities, but for the money, it just seems like Catalinas are among the best options. I don't think I'd get too much of an argument on that assessment in this forum. Yes, I'm also looking at other makes, but Catalina is definitely the front runner at this point.

As far as how much room we might need, I think anything between 34 and 42 would work just fine, but we're leaning toward something on the "smaller" end of that scale -- probably a 36. For most of the time, it will just be my wife and me. We have four sons, who all have families, and we plan to fly them down and have them stay with us (not all at the same time, obviously). So two cabins will work, we hope, but I've also looked at 390s and larger, which have a third cabin. But I like the layout with the aft master stateroom.

As far as having room to store lots of stuff, I don't think that would be necessary. One of the things my wife and I really like about this idea is that we can really try to be minimalists, and get along for the four months with limited supplies, clothing, or whatever. We wouldn't be wanting to bring along so much stuff that we'd feel packed in. We'd make a plan, and bring along what we felt was necessary. And, along the way, if we felt we were missing something we really needed, we could look to buy it somewhere along the way.

It'd definitely be nice to have a TV, but I'm wondering how much something like that would drain on the batteries.

Communication would be important, and we'd love to be able to keep in touch with family and friends via e-mail. Any idea how well a wireless laptop might work in the Caribbean? Is that even an option, or is this SSB the best way to send and receive e-mails? And I have read about other options for keeping in touch with what's happening weather-wise.

I'm not planning to be a purist and hoist my sails, so I'd prefer to find something with an in-mast furling system. I'm not going to be racing, or in any competitions.

I'm curious about your comments about anchors. You sound like there might be problems I should be aware of. If anchors are not on chains, are the lines sometimes cut and boats are stolen, or what? Please let me know what you know about this.

As far as the E Series (or F or G Series, for that matter), I guess I'm just hoping to possibly find a vessel that is already rigged with some high-quality navigational gear. I know the Raymarine equipment is pricey, and what I buy will definitely depend on what systems are already in place.

I do plan on taking some sailing classes. I'm certainly not going to be so naive as to think I can simply buy a boat and set sail with no worries, not having first taken the initiative to become familiar with the craft. I have a friend with a C34 on Lake Michigan, and I plan to give that a try. But I also have 30+ years of experience on the water (not all sailing, mind you), as we live in the Land of 10,000 Lakes -- Minnesota.

Thanks, Tom.

S

Sid_Apollo

AIS Navigational Software?

I'm wondering about the necessity of having an AIS receiver on a small boat. From the little that I know, it allows you to identify boats in your vicinity -- speed of movement, name of ship, direction, etc. I think with some of the newer chart plotters, you can also sync these other instruments in to one coordinated source for all the information you need to navigate.

Does anyone else out there have the AIS Navigational Software for your vessel, and if so, does it prove to be useful for you?

Jun 19, 2004
Mike I wanted to get back with you

I do like the Catalina, as I'm sure others here do. I was just curious. I am happy with mine and I have established really good relationships with Warren Pandy, and Frank Butler. They don't want me foul mouthing their reputation.

We love the 387 for its abundant size, storage, ease of handling with the roller furling and in mast furling systems, the ability to do all of it safely within the cockpit, the decent water capacity, as well as holding tank, large hot water tank ( my boat being an early one has a 20 water heater tank instead of the 11 now installed) and the other creature comforts. The boat seems quite able to mange itself in very crisp and snappy conditions which we have been in several times with winds pushing 60 knots and waves about 20 feet. I wasn't overly confident, in fact puckered up a bit, but I did feel safe in the boat in those conditions. With 10 tons displacement and a ballast of 7300 included, she seemed quite stable, and I had long put everything away and was with bare poles at the time.

The fact that there is room for more than a couple, yet when we as a couple are all that is aboard, we feel like we are in a palace with more than ample room. I love the aft berth, however we both will bang our heads with the low ceiling back there, we don't have the centre berth, instead have that monster bed that is almost 9 to 10 feet long that sleeps us sideways. I wish for more flow through ventilation when it is hot and stuffy during that time of year. If it gets really bad, we move up to the forward Vee-berth and set up the wind scoop and that will have us closing the hatch by 3 AM usually.

We can easily sleep and have enough room for our daughter and son-in law and their 4 girls aged 6 months to 10 years, but are very happy to have had the time with them yet appreciate having our privacy after they disembark.

We don't have a problem with battery and amp hour capacity, about once a day charge is required in the summer, mostly due to the high use of the battery opperated fridge and the fact that I can't instill energy management values in the admiral. She will open the front fridge door and leave it open for what seems like an eternity and I just watch the cold air fall out on the floor. She won't use the top access door, I guess she likes to hear the compressor running all the time. For my power, I'm set up with the 2 4D's for my house bank and a group 27 starting battery. We can watch TV and DVDs until we get tired of it and barely notice a hit on the battery guage.

What I have heard is that the SSB is the more preferred means of communication down there, that the use of cell phones is sporadically reliable as well as the use of WiFis. You can get weather data and e-mail on the laptop with the SSB that is very reliable.

My comments about anchors is that one just can't over emphasize the need for the right type of anchor for the existing bottom conditions. Coral doesn't cut through chain as it does rope, although we shouldn't be dropping anchors in coral beds in the first place, yet that can't always be avoided. Check out all the anchors and try to find the best all around anchors that will handle the different conditions. I use Danforths (3) 40 lbs. for now, my next one will more than likely be either a Manson or Rocna style or Bruce, CQR, Plow or something similar in design.

The equivalence of an ASA 101 and 103 class would be really good, basic keelboating and coastal offshore crusing would both work well and give you a great skill set.

Good luck Mike, keep us posted about what you wind up with. If I can be of any help with anything, let me know.
Tom

Jun 19, 2004
This is My Nav Equipment

Raymarine C-80 Chart plotter ST 70 Wind Speed Depth and with ST 8002 Autohelm with Auto Tacking, Wind Heading, Cross Track Error, Magnetic Heading or Power Steering Modes.

With the C-80, I can't get the 3-D Imagery, but I make do without it. That would be a nice perk. My next major investment will be both the radar and the AIS system. I will more than likely go with a 4KW radar.

Attachments

Jun 19, 2004
Mike I wanted to get back with you

I do like the Catalina, as I'm sure others here do. I was just curious.

We love the 387 for its abundant size, storage, ease of handling with the roller furling and in mast furling systems, the ability to do all of it safely within the cockpit, the decent water capacity, as well as holding tank, large hot water tank ( my boat being an early one has a 20 water heater tank instead of the 11 now installed) and the other creature comforts. The boat seems quite able to mange itself in very crisp and snappy conditions which we have been in several times with winds pushing 60 knots and waves about 20 feet. I wasn't overly confident, in fact puckered up a bit, but I did feel safe in the boat in those conditions. With 10 tons displacement and a ballast of 7300 included, she seemed quite stable, and I had long put everything away and was with bare poles at the time.

The fact that there is room for more than a couple, yet when we as a couple are all that is aboard, we feel like we are in a palace with more than ample room. I love the aft berth, however we both will bang our heads with the low ceiling back there, we don't have the centre berth, instead have that monster bed that is almost 9 to 10 feet long that sleeps us sideways. I wish for more flow through ventilation when it is hot and stuffy during that time of year. If it gets really bad, we move up to the forward Vee-berth and set up the wind scoop and that will have us closing the hatch by 3 AM usually.

We can easily sleep and have enough room for our daughter and son-in law and their 4 girls aged 6 months to 10 years, but are very happy to have had the time with them yet appreciate having our privacy after they disembark.

We don't have a problem with battery and amp hour capacity, about once a day charge is required in the summer, mostly due to the high use of the battery opperated fridge and the fact that I can't instill energy management values in the admiral. She will open the front fridge door and leave it open for what seems like an eternity and I just watch the cold air fall out on the floor. She won't use the top access door, I guess she likes to hear the compressor running all the time. For my power, I'm set up with the 2 4D's for my house bank and a group 27 starting battery.

What I have heard is that the SSB is the more preferred means of communication down there, that the use of cell phones is sporadically reliable as well as the use of WiFis.

My comments about anchors is that one just can't over emphasize the need for the right type of anchor for the existing bottom conditions. Coral doesn't cut through chain as it does rope, although we shouldn't be dropping anchors in coral beds in the first place, yet that can't always be avoided. Check out all the anchors and try to find the best all around anchors that will handle the different conditions. I use Danforths (3) 40 lbs. for now, my next one will more than likely be either a Manson or Rocna style or Bruce, CQR, Plow or something similar in design.

The equivalence of an ASA 101 and 103 class would be really good, basic keelboating and coastal offshore crusing would both work well and give you a great skill set.

Good luck, keep us posted about what you wind up with.
Tom

Nov 10, 2008
catalina c470 kent island, md
hi
i am the owner of a catalina and love every second of it
from reading your posts, i think you need to take a couple of steps back from your future plans
i noticed several comments you made in response to info sent that actually scared me for your safety a little bit
the one that made me write this was concerning the anchor rode being rope and a potential to be cut and the boat stolen
man you are in the wrong league
if someone wants to steal your boat they wont be cutting the anchor rode
now back to your other questions
on a slow moving sailboat you will probably not be able to outrun a storm when you see it on your 150nm radar if you knew which way to run
you should just look for a 24nm scanner to allow you to see in coming weather to make minor course corrections
radar should be used primarily for accident avoidance
ais is a wonderful thing but on the ages of the boats you are looking you will not find ais, nor will you find e-series raymarine plotters
the fact that you are aware of the technology would say that you are also aware how new and expensive the hardware is to buy
you can add a separate ais receiver which would make tanker identification acceptable because the technology works
when you are alerted to an ais contasct you would receive the name of the vessel, its direction, its speed, its next port and how close it might pass to you
when you hail the vessel they are required to answer because you will be hailing them by name
as one of your responders mentioned, you should buy the biggest boat your wallet can afford
tomorrow go home and lock your self and your wife in your bedroom and bathroom and you should have about that much space in a 36' boat - your bedroom is probably beamier than the boat will be
foir some people that would be fine but as you sound like a novice at this game, boats are tight spaces with low ceilings
the anchor thing is another can of worms, as previously stated you will need a couple of different anchors on board to deal with the different bottom conditions
i had a cqr anchor and dragged twice and now it is in the trash
i bought a manson supreme and we get whiplash when it sets and no dragging
you should have primarily a chain rode because of the weight of the chain and its durability- a rope rode will wear and you will drag due to the lack of weight
where are looking to purchase this boat and how were you planning on getting it to the caribbean
depending on your skills and confidence you will be able to handle a larger boat
with an auto pilot in the electronics package you will have a third hand on board - a must have
i also have a bow thruster on my boat which gives me more manuverability in tight spaces if used properly but they would not be on a 36-40' boat
a good chartplotter is essential so my true recommendation is to buy a boat with as little electronics on board and scrap it all and then you can get what you want but dont over do the radar - i have 24nm and it is more than adequate and i do sail in the ocean
sorry if i have been wordy but i think a coastal cruising course is your first option at this point and buy the biggest boat your wife will let you
good luck
larry

Oct 6, 2007
Catalina 387 Panama City, FL
Sid, I have a C387, 2004 Hull # 33, after owning saiboats of 17',23', & 31'.
It is the perfect boat for me and is the last boat I will own till I die (I am only 59)
ITtMaster has brought out a lot of good points for the C387. I have not put my C387 in 60 Kt winds and 20" seas, but it is good to know someone has and survived.

You need to determine what you want and why, just as we all did before purchasing our "last boat" for our lifetime.

Please go the the link:

http://www.lighthousetc.com.sg/Mei Poh.htm

That Sailor went though a very detail search and lists all of the reasons and his findings.
I think you will find his info very detailed and very helpful.

Bill

S

Sid_Apollo

Sid, I have a C387, 2004 Hull # 33, after owning saiboats of 17',23', & 31'.
It is the perfect boat for me and is the last boat I will own till I die (I am only 59)
ITtMaster has brought out a lot of good points for the C387. I have not put my C387 in 60 Kt winds and 20" seas, but it is good to know someone has and survived.

You need to determine what you want and why, just as we all did before purchasing our "last boat" for our lifetime.

Please go the the link:

http://www.lighthousetc.com.sg/Mei Poh.htm

That Sailor went though a very detail search and lists all of the reasons and his findings.
I think you will find his info very detailed and very helpful.

Bill
Thanks, Bill. I'll check out that site.

And thanks to Larry, as well, for all that you wrote. I appreciate people continuing to take the time to weigh in with their thoughts and opinions. I have this thread bookmarked, and I check back here every so often to see if anyone has added a post.

I might have to delay the timing on purchasing something, based on how well the stock market rebounds over the next year or two. My retirement income kind of took a bit of a hit recently. Nothing drastic, just enough to make me think twice about it. Still planning to go ahead with things, though, beginning with some sailing lessons on Lake Michigan, probably next summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.