Need Guidance - Which trailer sailer fits?

May 30, 2018
Standing By 20 Garage
I would not let the distance be much of a factor because that is a one-time inconvenience and you will have the boat for a number of years...
bob
In that case it would be between the west wight 19 and the lindenberg. Lindenberg with the edge on cost as the WW19 is at the very top of my budget

May 30, 2018
Standing By 20 Garage
West wight is pretty much out. I don't want to max out my budget, want to save some for repairs and any upgrades needed.

Apr 26, 2015
S2 26 Mid On Trailer
I've never seen a Lindenberg cruising, only out racing with 4 or 5 people on board pushing the thing to it's limits. Think about what that does to every piece of the structure. Just a little food for thought.

May 30, 2018
Standing By 20 Garage
Thank you everyone for your help and guidance!
Picked up a 1978 Compac 16 last night based off all the feedback here. Looking forward to putting it in the water this weekend.

Wasn’t feeling the water ballast of the hunter 19, just my opinion, the west wight sold before I could make it up there, the Lindenberg was a great boat but looked to be to much for me to try and rig solo, the Compac felt right and fits in the garage.

Mar 28, 2018
Mcgregor 25 Austin, TX
I'm not sure if you are still looking for a boat but there is an O'Day 23 for sale outside of a storage lot just SE of Bastrop on Hwy 71. Take 71 to Bastrop and go past the town about a few miles, it will be on the left a little past Tahitian Valley. Too big for your garage and not a swing keel but it looks complete and for only $2,500. You can store it out at Travis with the $1,500 you save.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I'm not sure if you are still looking for a boat but there is an O'Day 23 for sale
The OP bought a Compac 16. That sounds like a great deal though.
I'd love to know how the Compac is working out.

- Will (Dragonfly)

May 7, 2006
Catalina 28 Mark 1 New Bern
did you know that you can get a hinge kit for the toung of the trailer. That will save you 3-4 feet. I did that on my Oday 222 for the same reason.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Sloop rig. Use to be a dealer for them
My father had one modified with a gaff rig and a bow sprit. That is the image I held in my head, but you are right. Even Clark's Suncat was Marconi cat rigged.
They have short masts with a tall tabernacle so they are as easy as it gets to trailer and setup single handed.

- Will (Dragonfly)

May 30, 2018
Standing By 20 Garage
It's been a while and I wanted to not only follow up but revisit this as I'm hoping to pick up something similar to what I mentioned prior this weekend.

Long story short went with he Compac 16 and it was PERFECT for fitting in the garage and setting up and taking down myself. That went really well along with getting more experience in the local lake. We needed up moving to Colorado though and I ended up selling it. Fast forward a few years and we are now stationed in Hawaii and I'm presently in Florida near Destin for about 8 months and want to get another trailer sailer. Garage fitment is no longer an issue but setting it up myself 100% is.

My original thought was to find a west wight potter 19 like I originally wanted or another Compac 16 since I have history with it now. I still think the Hunter 23 we had would be too big to do myself so I'm sticking to the 16-19 range.

Here's my question. While I was searching for a WWP19 or another Compac 16 I came across a Hunter 18.5 that looks just like our 23 but obviously a bit smaller.

What I'm working with
- Right now I plan to store it in a storage lot so length isn't 100% a huge factor as was before
- I need to be able to set it up myself
- I will be sailing in the bay or sound mostly. I don't plan to step out into the Gulf
- I plan to take whatever I get back to Hawaii since they will ship it for me and just sail in calm areas around the island. Inlets and coves more so to just get out on the calm water and snorkel/hangout with the wife and kid
- After we leave Hawaii in about a year I plan to have it shipped over again with us but this time to the Massachusetts area.

So that's the plan long term.

Short term though does the Compac 16 and Hunter 18.5 (Now my first choice out of the two) work as good options for the bay/ sound? Just want to increase my experience, fish, hangout and get to areas I can snorkel and such. I just really need it to be one person manageable as a primary factor.

Thanks in advance!

Aug 2, 2009
Catalina 315 Muskegon
Good to do as you're doing, and decide what would be the best possible boat(s) for your situation.

The other way to do it, even simultaneously with what you're doing, is decide how far you're willing to drive for the right boat, and then do internet searches for every boat from 19 to 24 feet within your search radius. Then if you find something interesting run it by the members on this forum.

If I were deciding on my search radius, I wouldn't base it on how far I was willing to go round trip to see a boat, and then possibly do a return trip to get a good boat. I would base my search radius on how far I would drive to see a good boat that turns out to be a piece of junk. That philosophy would have kept me from driving from Muskegon, Michigan to somewhere near Cleveland, Ohio to look at a Harbor 25 that was misrepresented by the broker, and appeared to have spent some time underwater.

If I was to go outside of my self imposed search radius because I'd found what could possibly be the ideal boat, and the pictures in the ad were lacking, I would hire a local photographer to take 50 or more sharp, well lit pictures of it before I took off down the road.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Here is a SAIL magazine review article that might give you some leads...

• Helpful