Need Guidance - Which trailer sailer fits?

May 30, 2018
Standing By 20 Garage
Hello all, after a short lived experience with a Hunter 23 that we kept at a Marina to learn on in Lake Travis I'm ready to get back on the water. We only had our boat out about 6 or 7 times but we learned a lot before I thought I was going be transferred out of state and sold it. Needless to say a year and a half or so later I'm ready to get out and give it another go. This time I'm looking for something I can trailer fairly easily though. I've been doing research for a few weeks but decided that it may be time to reach out and see if I can help narrow down a constantly fluid list and start from scratch with some advice.
In terms of boat heres what I'd like to find: Under $4k Trailer sailer with a cabin, probably in the 17-20' range (I'd rather not go any smaller) so I can squeeze it in the garage, which also means a swing keel or something low enough, something I can setup and takedown on my own and one that is pretty forgiving for someone new but I can also grow into. Hoping I can gain enough experience that my wife will want to sail again as I'd really like to live on board down the road. For reference this will be for lake sailing in Austin, TX and since we do a lot of traveling with our rig it will most likely travel with us to other lakes. I honestly won't consider ocean sailing until I get more experience and that most likely won't be with this boat but who knows.
Thank you in advance to anyone who replies! Hoping to find something this weekend within Texas or any state I can travel to in a weekend.

May 30, 2018
Standing By 20 Garage
While there are many boats to suggest, a West Wight Potter 19 comes to mind when I read over what you are looking for.
I appreciate you mentioning that. That one is actually at the top of my list. Finding one in my price range/locally has been an issue. I’m hoping there are similar options.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
If you go to 22’ there are a lot more choices. Are you good with minor repairs?

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I own a beautiful 1973 Mariner 19 by O'Day. It cost me $1000 plus $500 for a new mainsail and $100 roughly to have the trailer bearings replaced and new cushions made (They are on the way, so I don't know the price yet) and some of my own labor. There are plenty of them out there and Texas has a pretty active fleet. The 2+2 sleeps four and they have a huge cockpit for their size.
sailingtexas.com is a great resource for lots of information about trailerables and sailing and boats for sale, such as this one:
http://sailingtexas.com/201401/soday19123.html

Welcome to SBO and to sailing. I know you will love being a part of both. Maybe I will also see you over at usmariner.org in the near future. If you want to see more about the Mariner, their class association site is great and so is this private one: http://www.mariner1922.com/

-Will Gilmore (Dragonfly, O'Day Mariner 19 #2632)

Jan 19, 2010
If you are willing to do some minor fixing...When shopping for an older (read cheap) sailboat and you are trying to get a good deal, do not be put off by cosmetic deficiencies. Paint is cheap. Wood trim is easy to replace. Even standing rigging is easy for a boat this size. Look at the KEEL! If the keel is in bad shape, walk away. Otherwise, where you will run into money is the outboard, trailer and sails. SO!

Think of the actual boat as free. Evaluate the other three components. Were the sails stored inside and do they still have the correct shape? Is the trailer solid and if rusty, is the rust surface rust or more significant. Is the outboard still in good shape?

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Rgranger is making good points. For an older boat, the real value is in the peripherals, the equipment. As long as the foundation is sound, keel, center board, hull and deck, the rest is cosmetic and easily fixed or replaced. Even hull and deck damage isn't that hard to fix if you have the time. However, considering you are also trying to get into sailing as a new captain under an admiral, shop for a deal that will get you on the water with as little project work as possible (to impress the admiral) . They will almost all come as project boats; you want to find one who's projects can wait until after that first weekend sail or two. Then, you can call them 'upgrades'.

Pay particular attention to the center board. Make sure it swings down and lifts back up freely. CB work is often the first issue to address. It was on mine.

- Will (Dragonfly)

May 30, 2018
Standing By 20 Garage
I agree, I’m really going to focus on making sure the complete setup and the primary points are good to go.

The biggest thing I’m trying to narrow down right now though is which models fit into what I’m looking for based off experience from others. There’s ALOT of boats in the 17-20’ range but not a lot that will work for what I’m looking for. Since I’m open to traveling for one I want to narrow down my focus.

My top two choices right now are West Wight 19 and Montgomery 17. Finding one within a few states of me or in my price range has been an issue so I’m looking for comparable options. Thanks again everyone

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Another one to consider is the Compac line of boats. Compac 17 and up. They are wide, so have more space than most and they have a strong and active following.

There's a 19 also.
As a cat rig, they are easier to sail too.

- Will (Dragonfly)

May 30, 2018
Standing By 20 Garage
Honestly if it doesn’t fit into my garage and I have to store it then I don’t mind going a bit bigger. I just don’t want to get into a size that I can’t setup and unload by myself. I’m worried if I go bigger than 20’ it’ll get into that spectrum. Maybe I’m wrong though. I just assume a 17’ boat is easier to setup than something like my old Hunter 23

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
My Mariner has a 24' mast, I'd estimate its weight at around 40 lbs. I have no trouble putting it up and down. Lots of people make mast raising systems that consist of gin poles hoisted by their trailer winch for larger masts. Lots of Mariner owners do too. Look around on this site, there are lots of threads dedicated to mast raising and a few to fitting and storing in a garage. Except for the Compacs, with their gaff rigs or long booms, the mast is the hard part to get indoors. For short-term storage (in season) store in driveway, half setup and ready to tow to the ramp. For off-season storage, you can store the mast separate from the boat.

In Texas, there is an event called the Texas 200 that is meant for small sailboats. 200 mile camping bbq trip along the coast. People tow their boats from as far away as New England, where I'm from, to participate. Check out their Web site to get an idea of what people are sailing in your state.
http://www.texas200.com
There are usually 3 or 4 Mariners represented in the event.

- Will (Dragonfly)

Jan 19, 2010
Honestly if it doesn’t fit into my garage and I have to store it then I don’t mind going a bit bigger. I just don’t want to get into a size that I can’t setup and unload by myself. I’m worried if I go bigger than 20’ it’ll get into that spectrum. Maybe I’m wrong though. I just assume a 17’ boat is easier to setup than something like my old Hunter 23
I used to have a magregor 22. I could pull up to a launch site and have the boat ready to sail with the OB at idle in 20 min. With a few mods she slept four. Did some serious coastal cruising in that boat.

Jun 25, 2004
Corsair F24 Mk1 003 San Francisco Bay, CA
It’s usually the mast and the height of the garage door opening that determine how much boat fits in the garage. Most 20 footers will have a mast longer than 20 feet, with the exception of the Compacs that have the “Mastender” tabernacle.

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
Honestly if it doesn’t fit into my garage and I have to store it then I don’t mind going a bit bigger..
If you give up the idea of storing in the garage (good move), you have a lot more options, as has been mentioned. If you consider water ballast an option then you can move up to even a larger boat and still have the ability to tow easier. This would open longer cruises to you if that interests you. A longer larger boat will be faster and have a lot more room inside.

For instance a water ballast MacGregor 26 foot D or S will weigh about the same as a lot of 20-23 foot boats that have weighted keels, 1800 lbs dry. They have a huge aft berth, lots of storage, a V-berth and a large cockpit and sail well. Probably can't find a S in your price range but some D's or selling near it. Love our S,

Sumner
===================================================================
1300 miles to The Bahamas and Back in the Mac...
Endeavour 37 Mods...
MacGregor 26-S Mods...
Mac Trips to Utah, Idaho, Wyoming, Canada, Florida, Bahamas

May 30, 2018
Standing By 20 Garage
So I think I have it narrowed down to a couple selections.

Compac 16 (a couple within a few hours) ~ $3500 tied for my 1st choice
West wight 19 (one about 13 hours away) ~ $4500 2nd choice, would be first but it’s far
Hunter 19 (one a few hours away) ~ $3500 3rd choice
Lindenberg 22 (closest) ~ $3500 tied for my 1st choice

I narrowed down a lot of others and would be really interested to hear thoughts on them. Thank you all again, your help is going a long way.