Jul 29, 2012
hunter 37 cherubini Apollo Beach
Need to outfit my boat with:
Radar
AIS
Chartplotter
Autopilot
wind

Is their a single system (1 display) that will integrate all these inputs?

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
Any modern MFD will display all those on a single piece of glass. For racing B&G is hard to beat. I have Raymarine, and no problems, probably most popular with the majority being power/fishing. You don’t mention water speed, this is important for sailing polars

Les

leo310

Dec 15, 2006
Catalina 310 44 Campbell River BC
Garmin, B&G and Raymarine have packages that will do what you want, it's comes down to price and what bran you think is the best as we all have our own idea who works better. As for me I have Garmin MFD and Raymarine AP.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Lots of options and pretty pictures of integrated setups in any WM or Defender catalog. Or online. Or displayed in most marine stores.

Jan 22, 2008
Islander Freeport, 41 Ketch Longmont, CO
As Leo310 say, several have all, most use NMEA2000 or 0183 network outputs/inputs. While not all network interfaces are 100% compatible, most of the kinks have been worked out. I personally chose Raymarine (2017) over Garmin due to the length of time they have been around (not sure it really matters that much but it was a comment that stuck with me when shopping) and their network backbone system which although not cheap was mostly plug and play, my understanding was B&G was more for the racing crowd however I've seen some good stuff from them since I purchased. I found a decent deal at one of the boat shows for MFG, instruments and Radar. I added a Standard Horizon 2200 VHF and will be adding the RM AIS transponder as soon as I save up enough boat bucks.

I did the install myself, including hanging the radar off the mizzen mast while hanging from a bosun's chair. It actually was plug and play and suddenly I had radar on my MFG.

If you are doing the install, watch the boat shows and look for the best deal. Defender usually has good prices and West Marine is now matching ANY advertised price, so pick you best option. Otherwise, find a good installer who you are comfortable working with and get to know them well.

Fair winds,

Jul 29, 2012
hunter 37 cherubini Apollo Beach
i understand that sailing polars are make/model specific. Do you know where I can get those?

May 20, 2016
The best ones are built by sailing your own boat in different wind strength and conditions. Otherwise ask here if someone with your make/model of boat has one.

I just installed a Yacht Devices N2K log, and it has instructions on how to pull polars from the log

Les

Apr 8, 2011
Hunter 40 Deale, MD
I just installed a Yacht Devices NMEA 2000 Wi-Fi Gateway model YDWG-02. I'm able to get data streamed wirelessly to iPhone and iPad. I have a mixed system of Raymarine ST60 wind and thru the water speed, ST6000+ autopilot, and a Garmin chartplotter, GPS, and AIS receiver. I believe the Raymarine are all on NMEA 0183, and the Garmin are on NMEA 2000. It appears the 0183 network is linked to the 2000, as I get data from everything via the YDWG-02 - which is better than I'd hoped for. I believe the Garmin chartplotter is the aggregator and translator, since I don't get some data streams without that being powered on. I'm actually really pleased with the plug and play nature of the YDWG-02. The hardest part is finding the configuration menus on the apps you want to connect to the wi fi. Oh, and the gateway in the YDWG-02 manual is listed differently in two places, and only one gateway actually works. That was a little frustrating.

So, what does everyone use this wireless data for? Its all already available in my chartplotter, and I suppose there's some use in having it at the chart desk, although I'm usually EITHER sailing, OR at the chart desk.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Congrats on your electronic wizardry. We live in an age when more data is always better. Sounds like you are now trying to decide how to filter it or at the least put it to work.

One idea is to place displays of the data at different places in the boat. For instance you could get a display screen and put up one of those maps link in planes that shows the passengers where the plan is and how far it is away from land.

You can get an app for your iPhone/iPad and link the data up to provide the information anywhere you wander in the boat on the device. For instance you could be lounging near the stern and reach for your phone to check your SOG on your iPhone rather than standing up and looking at the display at the helm. (Think one of those old films of Roman orgies with the characters all lounging around while helpers drop grapes into their mouths.)

Or perhaps more practice you could be standing on the bow looking for that perfect depth to drop your anchor and your iPhone is providing you an accurate depth readout as the helm person is following your directions. You choose the spot. You drop just the right amount of scope and your tell your system "THIS IS OUR ANCHOR SPOT" all through the magic of electronics.

Just some thoughts.

Oh and as a caution, when we tried to connect my laptop to my friends wifi network gateway to see how it would work, the laptop took control and stopped control of the autopilot from the helm... This caused my friend to kick me off the network... Who knew?

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2011
Hunter 40 Deale, MD
I analyze data for a living, so I'm firmly in the "I love data" camp. I also know that often we're flummoxed about what to do with some of the data we "just had to collect". I know, why did we collect it if we didn't have a plan for it? Good question. Some of it we figure out eventually and put to good use. Some of it ends up on the cutting room floor.

What you've done, jssailem, is laid out a couple of use cases for this data, which I'll label as the "Lazy Captain" (I can't be bothered to get up and look at the chartplotter - I might spill my boat drink), the "Mute helmsman" (no need to communicate with anyone, I have all the data I need right here on the bow), and the "Are we there yet?" (for the screen addicted 13-year-old who didn't want to come on this stupid trip anyway) use cases.

I guess I would add one to that list: Building polars. I am not a racer, in fact, have never raced a sailboat. It is a hobby that brings me great joy for its relaxation, problem solving and occasional physical challenges. OK, its mostly problem solving. But I do want to learn how to sail better, and in particular, want to sail my boat as near to its reasonable potential as possible. The precursor to doing that, is understanding what the performance possibilities are for my particular boat and sailplan, in the context of my skillset. Building my own polars will help me get that "baseline", upon which I can slowly improve as I try to "beat" myself by improving my sailing skills. I think that collecting data as I sail will give me the information I need to start building polars. I've seen a few software apps which purport to help you do just that. We'll see. Its going to be a goal this season.

Would love to see other use cases for the wireless data from other people who have found genuine uses for it.

May 20, 2016
Congrats on your electronic wizardry. We live in an age when more data is always better. Sounds like you are now trying to decide how to filter it or at the least put it to work.

One idea is to place displays of the data at different places in the boat. For instance you could get a display screen and put up one of those maps link in planes that shows the passengers where the plan is and how far it is away from land.

You can get an app for your iPhone/iPad and link the data up to provide the information anywhere you wander in the boat on the device. For instance you could be lounging near the stern and reach for your phone to check your SOG on your iPhone rather than standing up and looking at the display at the helm. (Think one of those old films of Roman orgies with the characters all lounging around while helpers drop grapes into their mouths.)

Or perhaps more practice you could be standing on the bow looking for that perfect depth to drop your anchor and your iPhone is providing you an accurate depth readout as the helm person is following your directions. You choose the spot. You drop just the right amount of scope and your tell your system "THIS IS OUR ANCHOR SPOT" all through the magic of electronics.

Just some thoughts.

Oh and as a caution, when we tried to connect my laptop to my friends wifi network gateway to see how it would work, the laptop took control and stopped control of the autopilot from the helm... This caused my friend to kick me off the network... Who knew?
As the kicker mentioned above. This is also a YDGW-02. I’m not sure if it was how Costal Navigator was setup but it did screw with the auto function of the AP, if it was just providing Tracks that would be ok.

Other functions maybe provide a federation feed to SignalK, enable additional functions on iOS or android Nav apps. In fog I want the CP devoted to radar, so having a phone or tablet for the chart work would be handy.

Les