Need a centerboard for a H23.5

Jun 3, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Cape Cod, Ma.
Long story short, Foss Foam sent me a new board but it was thicker than the original board. The new one split up the edges on both sides. Still looking for an original .

Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 26.5 West Palm Beach
Since you are located out on the sand bar, you might want to take a ride over to Karl's Boats on Great Western Road in Harwich. If Karl can't find or make a board for you, then you are in a tough spot. He has never let me down on any sailboat related repair or upgrade that I have ever sent his way. He does some really nice high end tuning work too.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Mike
Not sure but you may want to see if other manufacturers like ida rudder offer that in other materials.

Guys please advise if that is the case

Jun 3, 2004
Since you are located out on the sand bar, you might want to take a ride over to Karl's Boats on Great Western Road in Harwich. If Karl can't find or make a board for you, then you are in a tough spot. He has never let me down on any sailboat related repair or upgrade that I have ever sent his way. He does some really nice high end tuning work too.
The original board fell off the boat at the mooring.
Karl re-installed the original board and charged labor cost of $2000.00 It fell off again the next time out and was lost.
Karls Boat Shop installed the Foss Foam board for me and the labor charge alone was $1500.00
The new board he installed fell off last month and is split along the edges.
Both times I had the boat in his yard,while on the lift slings he left the cabin hatch open and when I picked the boat up both times there was three inches of stagnant rain water in the cabin. This, after my asking and insisting the workers keep the cabin hatch way closed. It took me three days to clean the inside cabin, cushions, and mattress's and equipment,they still smell moldy. Not sure I'll be going back to Karls.

Aug 12, 2018
Hunter 26 Carter Lake, Colorado
No experience with this, just my thoughts.

Seems like a used centerboard will only come from a salvaged vessel, so availability used is likely extremely limited. Given that a brand new one can apparently be had from this site for $1100, I'd want at least half that if I had a used one to sell. Just seems like after a while springing for the new one won't seem so bad so you can get back out on the water. Although you do have the whole winter now to keep looking for used.

Before putting any board back in there, I'd sure want to understand why they keep falling off. That just shouldn't happen. I think I'd also consider putting it in myself. It looks like awkward work but I think there's no need for a yard to do it if you can just get the vessel on stands (probably can't do it on a trailer) - especially with the always generous help from this forum's members. Then you'll know it was done right and you'll better understand what can go wrong and avoid future problems.

Sep 19, 2016
Caliber 33 Sebastian, FL
I had my centerboard repaired last year. Could not get it out on the trailer. I had the boat put on a stand at the local marina. It was easy to get out while on the stand. There's at least one thread on this forum with details. Don't see how they can honestly charge $2k in labor but maybe I'm just a cheapskate.

Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 26.5 West Palm Beach
How long was it on stands for?
Also, what route were you taking when you lost the board?

Jun 3, 2004
The boat was on a hoist with straps under and tied front to back for non slip and stands also under for safety. Tied up the lift for a month.Owner not happy.

Sep 19, 2016
Caliber 33 Sebastian, FL
The boat was on a hoist with straps under and tied front to back for non slip and stands also under for safety. Tied up the lift for a month.Owner not happy.
Then isn't it more accurate to say that most of that $2k charge was for tying up the lift? That's a very different thing than being charged $2k labor. Seems to me that the latter version unfairly paints the marina in an unfavorable light. I'm guessing that there was some reason that the marina couldn't put the boat on a stand...