Navionics has active captain (finally)

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
Followup on my issues with my multiple devices. Navionics support emailed me right back today. They verified that,
"As long as both devices are of the same platform (both Android), you should be able to use the same app on both devices."

They suggested I make sure my app was logged into my account (it was) and try restoring purchases (which didn't work). I ended up clearing cache for the app (which also didn't work). Then cleared cache again, and app data. That did the trick, and allowed it to start up correctly. It now recognizes that my Navionics+ subscription is up to date, and allowed updating of charts.

Thanks Navionics!

FWIW, I also have Plan2Nav and INavX on my tablet for backups, but Navionics has always been my go to app after our plotter. Usually have it running when the plotter is on for backup and planning.
I think this subscription support “by account“ is new. In early ‘18 my iPad required a separate subscription from my phone. The iPad was close to $50 per year but the phone was closer to $15. Now the iPad picked up on the $15 subscription from my phone, and also picked up all my markers and routes from my phone. Thank you Navionics!!!

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
I have 2 different Icon on my tablet one is Navionics HD and don’t see AC on that and another
another Icon says Navionics boating and is pretty much same with all chart info same as HD
but has AC info on chart.
This all changed recently when I think I updated to get AC and did renew a while back and was
24.95 and not 49.95.
I also did see trail expires but not any more,so is this what other Navionics uses have.
Nick

Dec 29, 2008
Treworgy 65' LOA Custom Steel Pilothouse Staysail Ketch St. Croix, Virgin Islands
I don’t understand this comment. Explain, please.
Larry, with respect to Garmin Helm, which was a very convenient tool for extending the Garmin chart plotter functions via Bluetooth to the iOS device, when ported to the Active Captain interface it has become mostly dysfunctional, in my opinion. Connection is no longer straight forward and robust, and takes too many clicks to start and/or recover. In fact, on my trip last week, I couldn’t get it to connect at all. Another reason I have zero use for AC.

Jul 1, 2010
Catalina 350 Lake Huron
I think this subscription support “by account“ is new. In early ‘18 my iPad required a separate subscription from my phone. The iPad was close to $50 per year but the phone was closer to $15. Now the iPad picked up on the $15 subscription from my phone, and also picked up all my markers and routes from my phone. Thank you Navionics!!!
They used to have the HD version for tablets ($50) and the non- HD version for phones (much cheaper). I found that on my 7" Nexus tablet that the phone version installed just fine and looked fine on the display, so I was able to use the same app and subscription on both my phone and tablet (was a real deal!). The new Navionics app is HD for all devices. Much better pricing structure, free app, and pay a yearly subscription (albeit, in my instance, it's costing a little more).

I tried the same deal with Plan2Nav, and it picked up that I was using a tablet after I paid for the install (phone version). To use it, I had to pay the higher price for that one (not a great deal as I found I liked Navionics charts better, but it makes a good backup). Really, the only reason I tried Plan2Nav is that it had Active Captain built in. Now they no longer have Active Captain in their product...kind of ironic.