Navionics has active captain (finally)

Jul 1, 2010
Catalina 350 Lake Huron
I noticed that when I opened my navionics app today, it wanted to be updated to the "newest" version and that the app I had would be no longer supported. Reluctantly, I bit.

The good news is that the new app seamlessly migrated all my user info and tracks over, and has active captain built in. Woo hoo, it's about time, Garmin.

The payment scheme has changed some, though. Previously, I had paid for the app to get USA and Canadian charts. I then had paid the yearly charge for access to the Navionics + features.

The new scheme, is that the app is free in the HD version (which previously cost more for tablets). However, it is free to use for a 2 week trial. Then you have to pay a yearly subscription ($21.99 for USA and Canada, less for just USA). For that, you get all the features that I had with Navionics +. So, overall, more for a yearly subscription than I paid before for navionics+, but still a pretty good deal. Haven't had a chance to update it on my tablet yet, but assuming I can use the same subscription on my tablet as my phone like I did on the past.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
@sesmith let us know how the iPad upgrade goes. Hopefully it is a personal subscription and not a device subscription.

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
Do you know if the Navionics on the Raymarine MFDs now includes the Active Captain?

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
Pretty cool! I just saw a Panbo post about this. I have Navionics on my iphone, but no AC. Ben explains, if you have an older version of Navionics, you go to the App store and find the right Navionics upgrade, Boating Marine and Lakes: https://itunes.apple.com/app/apple-store/id744920098?mt=8

It's a free download, which I did right there, opened my Navionic app, and voila, AC, up to date.

https://www.panbo.com/navionics-app...skVQmeFC990OE6GAo5Hjw1YH4OOkVKdB7qPG5O4l9Gyho

There is a lot more info with AC now than when I last downloaded it on a Garmin App on Ipad.

Dec 29, 2008
Treworgy 65' LOA Custom Steel Pilothouse Staysail Ketch St. Croix, Virgin Islands
Anyone else have problems with Garmin Helm since it was integrated into Active Captain?

Personally, I’ve never realized any value from Active Captain. When I tried using it in the ICE the chart granularity was so poor you couldn’t identify where you were to take advantage of the features. Now, since Garmin Helm was integrated with it, connecting Helm to the chart plotter has required too many keystrokes, and more recently would not connect at all. I am totally displeased with anything Active Captain as a result.

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2010
Catalina 350 Lake Huron
NotCook, active captain never was good as a stand-alone app. Its usefulness is when it's integrated into your regular charting app. The active captain info shows up as icons on the chart where they apply. Click on the icon, you get the info.

Not familiar with garmin helm, but it looks like it's discontinued.

May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC
Do you know if the Navionics on the Raymarine MFDs now includes the Active Captain?
I don't think. The Navionics website is silent wrt Active Captain. One of their features is Community Edits which is dependant on local input and I find is hit and miss. Active Captain is compatible with C-Map which can also be used with many Raymarine MFDs,

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
Saw this and jumped on my iPhone where I run Navionics. I had an update pending for the old App. After I updated that I got the notice to click on the icon that installed the new app. Opened that up and all my data and the purchased chart was there. Very nice.

Hopefully it is a personal subscription and not a device subscription.
Device subscription. I use Navionics+ on both my iPhone and iPad. I recently renewed the chart purchase on my iPhone for $4.99, then renewed on the iPad for $24.99. Now with both on the new app the Navionics+ USA and Canada is showing $24 on both the iPhone and iPad.

Any time I'm sailing I track my trip on my iPhone. Before I got a chart plotter I used Navionics on my iPad. Now I use it to play with trip planning and to look at past tracks.

Jul 1, 2010
Catalina 350 Lake Huron
Device subscription..
It never was that way in the android world, but it's starting to look that way. Previously, I paid for 1 app install on for both my phone and nexus tablet. I then paid for 1 subscription for navionics+ that worked for both.

Today, after installing the new app and paying for USA and Canada Navionics+ on my phone, I then updated and installed the app on my tablet. The tablet won't let me update the charts and wants a separate subscription for Navionics+. I emailed support to see what the deal is. Hopefully it's a software glitch and not just a new money grab on their part. We'll see.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Check the licensing agreement. You know that wordy thing that wants your approval before you can see the app. The one that everyone say “Sure take me first born and all my private info”.
It should say if you are leasing it personal subscriber or it is the device subscription. So if you sell your phone the new owner gets the subscription and your credit card.

Sorry. Hate. Device subscriptions.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
It never was that way in the android world,
Ahh, there is the difference in your experience and in mine as well as the cost difference.

Sorry. Hate. Device subscriptions.
As do I but I love the Navionics+ on my iPhone and iPad enough that I live with it. Especially with the iPhone chart only $5. Now, if they raise that to the same cost as the iPad, then the iPad will probably go without.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
I have had Navionics for many years on my phone and IPad and just updated it yesterday
and so happy with AC on it and is great and look forward to my next cruise.
Nick

CarlN

Jan 4, 2009
Ketch 55 Bristol, RI
It is not a device subscription. I have the new Navionics app installed on three Ipads and have only paid once. They also don’t have my phone number. I have a Navionics user account with email and password. I use a dozen email accounts for app accounts as a small speedbump against the data miners.

And while it took them almost two years and a lot of dumb misteps, Garmin has obviously not been executing some double-secret evil corporate plan to screw AC and Bluechart Mobile users as a way to increase their profits. The new Navionics with AC is 1) a better navigation app than Bluechart Mobile, 2) You get Sonarcharts for free too, and 3) the charts cost less than BCM especially as BCM didn’t have a discount for chart renewals.

They made some stupid mistakes along the way, but Garmin’s ultimately done a great job with AC.

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
I have Navionics on my older C-80 Raymarine and for a few years on my Ipad and IPhone
and think it is great and love Dock to dock feature and AC can’t ask for anything more.
Nick

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Do either of you have the Navonics "Boating Marine and Lakes" app? That is the one on my phone. Is it different than the one you are talking about?

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
There is more information on my Navionic's App, now. I didn't have an updated AC on it this past season down in Southern New England. Going through some of our stops, AC would have helped us with local info on services etc. Plus the Navionic's platform of info icons, is growing. In a busy harbor like Gloucester, it takes a while going through the icons as well as AC info. But I found an option for provisions that we were unable to find despite talking to a few locals(not on AC but a Nav. icon).

The memory banks on Navionics, harbor and local info, look pretty empty and lack detail. All user supplied, I wonder how it will all fill in?

There is more up to date info available for visiting sailors, today, but you have to find it. We simply used google along the way and found much needed info, that isn't even sailing related (i.e. travel articles).

Maybe the 'guide' of the future that will bring all this up to date - multi source info to your screen, hasn't been invented yet.

The Island Store on Cuttyhunk.
Cuttyhunk Island Store.jpg

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Do either of you have the Navonics "Boating Marine and Lakes" app? That is the one on my phone. Is it different than the one you are talking about?
I just now completed updating mine and the AC data came over. Very nice!

Jul 1, 2010
Catalina 350 Lake Huron
Followup on my issues with my multiple devices. Navionics support emailed me right back today. They verified that,
"As long as both devices are of the same platform (both Android), you should be able to use the same app on both devices."

They suggested I make sure my app was logged into my account (it was) and try restoring purchases (which didn't work). I ended up clearing cache for the app (which also didn't work). Then cleared cache again, and app data. That did the trick, and allowed it to start up correctly. It now recognizes that my Navionics+ subscription is up to date, and allowed updating of charts.

Thanks Navionics!

FWIW, I also have Plan2Nav and INavX on my tablet for backups, but Navionics has always been my go to app after our plotter. Usually have it running when the plotter is on for backup and planning.