Navigation

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
No problem. If in doubt go to Samsung site and look up model and feature set of your model.

Nov 14, 2018
Hunter 26 / 33.5 Eden isle, Greer’s ferry lake
My wife’s phone is a Samsung s7. It works with google maps and always knows where it is. Pretty sure it has gps

Sep 15, 2018
Hunter H240 Richmond
Thanks. What motivates my question is my planned sail to Dry Tortugas from Key West. There is no cell reception out there.

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
I’m assuming you want the Nav app on your phone as a backup for your chart plotter setup, not a bad idea for your 140 mile round trip.

You mentioned in your first post you had already downloaded the app but didn’t indicate if it actually worked.
Assuming the app is working and you want to test to see if it will work without cell connection during your trip you could try temporarily disabling cell capability. I don’t use an Android - Samsung phone so not sure how or if you can do that.

You might also consider picking up a floating handheld vhf or for that matter frs radio that had basic GPS capabilities. I had a Garmin Rino frs-gps unit a long time ago that I had my kids take out in our little Zodiac. They could call if they needed help and provide GPS coordinates if necessary or I could use other frs handsets we had at the cottage to tell them to come home for dinner.

Nov 14, 2018
Hunter 26 / 33.5 Eden isle, Greer’s ferry lake
Maybe you could call the people at navionics. They should know.

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
I’m assuming you want the Nav app on your phone as a backup for your chart plotter setup, not a bad idea for your 140 mile round trip.

You mentioned in your first post you had already downloaded the app but didn’t indicate if it actually worked.
Assuming the app is working and you want to test to see if it will work without cell connection during your trip you could try temporarily disabling cell capability. I don’t use an Android - Samsung phone so not sure how or if you can do that.

You might also consider picking up a floating handheld vhf or for that matter frs radio that had basic GPS capabilities. I had a Garmin Rino frs-gps unit a long time ago that I had my kids take out in our little Zodiac. They could call if they needed help and provide GPS coordinates if necessary or I could use other frs handsets we had at the cottage to tell them to come home for dinner.
The CP might become backup for the Navionics app. :)

Jun 14, 2010
Yes absolutely that could be the case. My assumptions are often incorrect
The reason I wrote that is the Navionics app is more usable than any CP I’ve used (Raymarine, B&G, Lowrance, Garmin). I use Navionics for route planning and progress, while using the CP for radar/AIS and close-in navigation while steering, plus the CP is weather proof and daylight viewable (a big issue at the helm).
Also, make sure you enter your boats air and water drafts then try the Navionics Auto Route function. It’s great.

Sep 19, 2016
Caliber 33 Sebastian, FL
It's not even a dollar worth of plastic. I'd be happy to print you one for the cost of shipping. You're going to laugh but it's been ages since I snail mailed something so I'd have to relearn the easiest way to do it. :)

May 17, 2017
Hunter H260 Prince George
On apple devices (iPad/iPhone) it uses the gps in the phone. Note the iPad must be a WiFi/cellular version to have a gps.
Newer i-pads and I-phones have built in GPS, Navionics works on them without cell or wifi. You just need to download and save on the device the map area you are sailing in from wifi or cell first. Its a great app, hope Garmin doesn't mess it up.

Jun 14, 2010
Newer i-pads and I-phones have built in GPS, Navionics works on them without cell or wifi. You just need to download and save on the device the map area you are sailing in from wifi or cell first. Its a great app, hope Garmin doesn't mess it up.
No change on the newer ones. If they don't have the cellular chaip they don't have the GPS chip. (The iBeacon technology is not GPS and does not work offshore.)
  • Digital compass
  • Wi-Fi
  • iBeacon microlocation
Wi-Fi + Cellular models
  • Assisted GPS, GLONASS
  • Cellular

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
TTFF is more of a problem with cars than boats. They tend to leave the GPS on till they get someplace, then turn it on again when they depart. Most GPS modules at the chip level remember where they were when shut off so If not moved TTFF is quick. Getting GPS from cell towers helps dial in the gps only if it has been moved since the GPS was last active.

On phones unless your using navigation (car or boat) they are off cause the eat electrons like crazy killing the battery.

May 17, 2017
Hunter H260 Prince George
Right Captain. What I meant to convey is you don't need cell coverage to use the Navionics app. My I-pad doesn't have a sim card in it but I guess it is cellular capable and so it has GPS. I didn't know they made the two kinds.

Thanks for clearing that up.

No change on the newer ones. If they don't have the cellular chaip they don't have the GPS chip. (The iBeacon technology is not GPS and does not work offshore.)
  • Digital compass
  • Wi-Fi
  • iBeacon microlocation
Wi-Fi + Cellular models
  • Assisted GPS, GLONASS
  • Cellular

Apr 8, 2013
Hunter 260 Nanaimo
Ok
I now sail on the west coast ( Salish sea)
Using Navionics as my primary map is just not stable rnough a platform for All the rocks around here.
Added a B&G Vulcan 5 .
It will repeat too your Ipad as well and helps . Navionics is great far planning and tied information.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
Being a total newb to navigation I tried NV, OpenCMS and Navionics. Navionics was super easy to use. It orks like a car GPS plus you can search for locations instead of typing GPS coordinates

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
I am thinking about getting the new Navionics app for IOS and can’t seem to find a definitive answer about whether I can use my “license” on more than one device. For example could I use it concurrently on an IPad and my IPhone?