Navigation

Nov 14, 2018
Hunter 26 / 33.5 Eden isle, Greer’s ferry lake
Well I think I fanally have the Nightwind at a point where I’m happy. Have had several days out with no squaks and am getting fairly comfortable. The next step for me is to find an inexpensive GPS chart plotter. Most of my sailing is for now going to be one inland lakes. While I’ve sailed our home lake for 35 or so years this isn’t nessessary to get around the lake. I do however want to learn to use this. I fly for a living so I understand gps and it’s use. I just want to apply it to marine use. No need to sail the same route around the lake each time out when maybe I can learn a bit. Thanks. Rog

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Calgary, Canada
Just curious, have you considered an app like Navionics on a phone or tablet instead of a chart plotter?

Jul 12, 2011
Leopard 40 Jupiter, Florida
Well I think I finally have the Nightwind at a point where I’m happy.
Are you SURE you own a boat? I've never known a skipper that didn't want one more improvement / project / upgrade etc.;)
Anyhow, try getting a Garmin color handheld 78-series for about $300, and put it on the bench, or even mount it in the cockpit somewhere. If you progress beyond that and get into higher priced and easier to read displays, you can just keep it in your travel bag as a backup. With a handheld, you don't have to worry about wiring or mounting locations. BTW: make sure of your charts when you buy, as buying separately may cost an additional $100.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Just curious, have you considered an app like Navionics on a phone or tablet instead of a chart plotter?
:plus:

Unless you are going to be more than 2 miles from the coast, navonics on your phone along with the NOAA radar app is about all you really need. I LOVE my NOAA radar app. It just as necessary on land as it is on the water.

Jun 29, 2010
Beneteau First 235 Lake Minnetonka, MN
PM Me, I have one I have been trying to sell and have only had one "bite" and they sent me a fraudulent cashiers check for way too much money. LOL
FYI, its a Garmin 441s. I have no use for it at all as I won't be taking my boat anywhere near offshore.

Nov 14, 2018
Navionics is on the iPad and looks like what I’m looking for. I have 2 weeks to figure that out. I’ve had this boat since about thanksgiving and most work has been cleanup and some minor issues I wanted to get taken care of. It’s a hundred miles the boat and weather and high water been an issue. Now is time to make my list and enjoy. You are correct. Like most toys I will always want more equip. What is cpn? Did I get to every one. Thanks rog

DJAY

Apr 16, 2018
Hunter 31 Saylorville Lake
Inland lake, airplane guy here. I use Navionics on an iPhone, backed with a weather radar app, maybe some (sailing) wind forecast apps and if you have it (and probably do) Foreflight for aviation weather, forecasts and prog charts etc.... inexpensive and more than we need.

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
I'm sure others might do a better explanation, but Open CPN is an open source freeware navigation software you can download. I use it all the time even though I have two other dedicated chartplotters.

Sep 30, 2016
Island Packet IP 44 Ventura, CA
Anyhow, try getting a Garmin color handheld 78-series for about $300, and put it on the bench, or even mount it in the cockpit somewhere. ....
Thumbs up for the Garmin 78 GPS Map. I used it on a Lake Huron/North Channel trip last summer. Great interface and features. My only complaint is the small screen.

Sep 17, 2018
Hunter 23.5 Charleston, SC
This post is timely because I just bought a chartplotter myself. I was looking at a hawkeye depth finder and Garmin 78sc because I'm cheap. However, I ended up breaking the bank on a Garmin EchoMAP 64cv G2. Some back story: Garmin recently bought Navionics and are adding all the Navionics data to their in-house charts. Whereas their old charts are called 'G2', the new 'G3' chartplotters are starting to show up on shelves. What this means is that West Marine and a few other retailers are blowing out all the old 'G2' plotters for stupid prices. I ended up getting my 64cv G2 for $380.

Ok, so why would you want the G2 when the new G3 is so much better? Well, Garmin also gives you 1 free map upgrade within the first year of purchase. So, if you wait until summer you will be able to use that to upgrade to G3.

Just thought I'd share.

-Z

Nov 8, 2007
Hunter 27_75-84 Sandusky Harbor Marina, Ohio
We have a Garmin 78C handheld, as well as older versions as backup.

We use our iPhone for NOAA weather radar and for the superior Navionics charts on it. If the charts for the area are downloaded, the GPS charting works 100% without internet connection. Further, we have had good internet connection as far as 9 miles offshore.

My recommendation would be Navionics on a smartphone as a first solution.

Jan 19, 2010
We have a Garmin 78C handheld, as well as older versions as backup.

We use our iPhone for NOAA weather radar and for the superior Navionics charts on it. If the charts for the area are downloaded, the GPS charting works 100% without internet connection. Further, we have had good internet connection as far as 9 miles offshore.

My recommendation would be Navionics on a smartphone as a first solution.
:plus:

Nov 14, 2018
I have downloaded Navionics trial sub to my iPad. It seems pretty straight forward to use. I’ll be going to the lake Sunday and see how it works for me. There is also a Garmin 76 hand held that came with the boat to play with. My grand daughter wants to go and handle the helm so I can play with sails and navigation while she does that. Grand kids I hope will be a big part of the sailing adventure. I have tried to pay attention to your advice and will continue to look at all of it. Thank you all. I’ll report in after Sunday after our trial run. Rog

Jan 19, 2010
I have downloaded Navionics trial sub to my iPad. It seems pretty straight forward to use. I’ll be going to the lake Sunday and see how it works for me. There is also a Garmin 76 hand held that came with the boat to play with. My grand daughter wants to go and handle the helm so I can play with sails and navigation while she does that. Grand kids I hope will be a big part of the sailing adventure. I have tried to pay attention to your advice and will continue to look at all of it. Thank you all. I’ll report in after Sunday after our trial run. Rog
Have fun.... take pictures...:)

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
Interesting article referenced below. Also note the safety precaution of carrying paper charts as a backup mentioned. I’ve always found that advice a little puzzling; if you didn’t paper chart your way to your current location (not common practice for lake sailors anymore) you really might not know your “location” to reference the paper chart to especially in inclement weather.

http://www.canadianyachting.ca/diy/...g-ipad-or-chartplotter-which-is-right-for-you

Nov 14, 2018
Good article for sure. When Garmin, Foreflight all the other apps came available for aviation I think we were all amazed at the new capability of these units. The FAA saw fit to say we had to carry paper as well. It was a wise choice on their part. My bonanza at the time had Garmin 530, 430 and Fore flight. All work well. But each one backs up the others in case of failure. And all have failed at some point in time. New rules are a bit more relaxed now and better equipment and flight without paper has been possible if certain criteria are met. For now I will be on a lake that I know quite well but I want to learn to use what’s available for maybe another place. I will have backup even if it’s the phone. Sounds like a rant and I don’t mean it to. But even the chance of finding yourself on a chart or backup could be handy

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
BR
Not a rant at all, just sharing your experience. Interesting perspective from your aviator standpoint in fact.

I'm a firm believer of backup for backups (just ask all the people who call me AFTER their computer crashes <grin>). Plus we are all just one big solar flare away from loosing GPS so maybe it's time I brush up on my paper chart skills anyway.

Getting used to the electronic marine navigation aids on a body of water you know well is an excellent choice IMHO as you will know exactly where you are and how that relates to what you see on the screen plus what "zoom" factor makes the most sense to use in a given situation.