Registered users don't see ads

N28 progress

Discussion in 'Newport' started by CharlzO, May 6, 2018. Add this thread to a FAQ

1. MitchK

MitchK

Joined Sep 22, 2017
    84 posts, 13 likes
    Capital Yachts Newport 28
    US Burbank, WA
    Charlz, I understand in regards to access to the fresh water tank. On mine, it appears they installed the tanks before they installed the liner. I would have to cut out the V berth deck to get either of mine out. If your holding tank is sound other than the additional hole installed by the DPO, you may want to consider patching the hole. I know they make a plastic tank repair kit for RV type tanks that may work. I agree all of the hoses need replacing. I need to do that on mine too. It's on the to do list. As for the water hose type fitting on the deck, and the way it is plumbed to the waste tank, it was probay set up that way so that the tank could be flushed with clear water as it was being pumped out. With the seacock closed, suction on the clean out line would empty the tank, and with clean water bring injected into the tank, probably work well to clean out the tank. From what I saw in the video, that open port in the chain locker does look like your fresh water tank fill. It also looks like your waste tank vents to the chain locker too. At least I think it does from the small line T fitting on top of the tank. Waste tank venting straight into the water tank....Yuck! The waste tank vent should be outboard and away from the fresh water inlets. Peggies book is good. I purchased it a few months ago in prep for my waste tank re-plumb.

2. CharlzO

CharlzO

Joined Jan 14, 2014
    214 posts, 12 likes
    Newport Newport 28
    US Fair Haven, NY
    Her book is also in my cart at the moment, I hadn't pulled the plug on it yet until I got the boat in the water. Launch time snuck up on me so it got pushed off in favor of floating. It very well could be a fresh water flush for it, that would make sense. I'm still learning bits about the ins and outs (no pun intended) of the systems. I'll definitely be relocating the venting hoses completely when I redo the system. I also didn't know about the repair option, I just figured that the material these tanks are made of didn't seem they would take well to adhesives of any sort. I'm still leaning towards replacing it anyway, since I have no idea if that was original or anything, and in the grand scheme they really aren't terribly expensive at that size. My other option would be to just go ahead and use a porta for the season and do the complete head refit over winter/spring. That would free up more short-term funds to put towards new cushions and the new main. If it even got used twice all year, it would be a surprise anyway. Decisions, decisions. And that's why I tend to say "eh I'll figure it out later, it's nice out! Lets go sailing!"

3. CharlzO

CharlzO

Joined Jan 14, 2014
    214 posts, 12 likes
    Newport Newport 28
    US Fair Haven, NY
    Had a pretty good Sat-Wed stretch this past week. I went up Saturday afternoon, and spent the day just doing a couple little things - like painting the hatch and the chain locker covers the same blue as the hull. Sure they still stand out from the white deck, but now they at least look like appropriate accent pieces instead of that faded light blue whatever it was. I was able to go out Sunday for a bit, not sure of the wind speed, but the swell was pretty good. Went on a quick downwind run, even brushed 8 knots along the trip, and then spent quite a few more hours coming back upwind into the waves. Gave me a chance to peek at the shroud tension, and things like that. I won't mention how I totally made a mess of things getting out on the water, like trying to make the topping lift work right, and losing it so it was flying everywhere, or running the sheets on the inside of the starboard side and outboard on the port, and lord knows what else..

My dad came up Monday morning, to spend a few days, so we went West again, same situation with a nice NE wind so it was a pleasant rolly trip down to where I used to anchor - if anyone wants to know, just google Dufloo Rd, Sodus, NY. The wind was supposed to shift South overnight, so even though the waves were tossing a little when we went to bed, it was perfect when we got up on Tues morning. The Danforth held fine, which gives me more confidence going ahead to buy a Fortress in the next few weeks. We left Tues to an Easterly wind, ducked a little West while it built and then spun around and had a nice long Starboard tack the entire way back to Fair Haven. All told, a 43 mile round trip. They were calling for more wind on Wed and Thurs, so we just stayed in the slip Tues night.

I did learn this: I don't know if it's because of the liner, or what, but holy smokes this boat likes to creak and groan under stress. Under way, I could catch it once in a while but at anchor, my goodness, it was insane, hearing the groans from the cabinets and such. My last boat had no liner, and had almost no noises like that under any amount of pressure, so that's what I'm guessing? Granted most nights won't be spent in such conditions (4 foot rollers that were just enough off the wind that the wind would catch, straighten us out and smooth down, then the waves would push sideways JUST enough that we'd bounce around again for a few before the wind would get it back, and on and on).

But, ordered the new PortaPotty, that'll be here Monday. Decided on the Dometic SaniPottie 975MSD version. I went back and forth a lot on whether or not I wanted to plumb a pump out or not. I've never used a pump out before, but I can't imagine it would be that traumatic. But even worse case, I can still dump it manually, just without the fancy pour spout. If it even gets used once or twice all season, it'd be a stretch. But I also realized that it was $115 bucks for the Gray colored one, whereas the tan was a lot more, and even the non-MSD was another 40 bucks. So that's ordered, and will be next weekends crappy project.

I also tonight, ordered new foam for the V and for the seats. Once I get those in and covered, I'll go ahead and order new for the seat backs and the quarter (which is sail storage atm). It's almost like progress.

Rick D likes this.
  4. MitchK

MitchK

Joined Sep 22, 2017
    84 posts, 13 likes
    US Burbank, WA
    Charlz,
    Sounds like you are making awesome progress. Keep up the good work!

5. CharlzO

CharlzO

Joined Jan 14, 2014
    214 posts, 12 likes
    Newport Newport 28
    US Fair Haven, NY
    Well, this weekends plans are both comfy, and crappy. I got the new cushions in this morning, surprisingly quick. They're currently unwrapped and getting settled. Can already tell the difference just sitting here. Picked up some fabric from JoAnn Fabrics, 50% off on outdoor fabrics, so I grabbed a few yards of a Tommy Bahama design that should go nicely. I'm still trying to decide if I'm going to just go with a backing board or zipper. That's gonna be a question better left to my mom since she's a lot more experienced and I'll be having her do the sewing for me while I work on other things.

Tomorrow's project, is the crappy one. I picked up the Dometic SaniPottie 975MSD from Defender for about $118 dollars. But the kicker, is that it not only comes with the fittings and hold down brackets to be a mounted, but also still includes the pour-out spout on the holding tank. This makes it an even better value. The version without the MSD kit, is $155 dollars. So I get the best of both worlds. But rather than tackle it half tonight and half tomorrow, I'm just relaxing tonight and I'll deal with the complete removal of the old stuff all day tomorrow. Definitely looking forward to a soft-night's sleep on this new foam tonight though.

6. CharlzO

CharlzO

Joined Jan 14, 2014
    214 posts, 12 likes
    Newport Newport 28
    US Fair Haven, NY
    Oh what a difference a month or two have made. I haven't actually made my progress on the boat side of things, in all honesty, only been up two weekends since then. Well, three, but only took the boat out twice, the other weekend was just to chill.

Last trip up was with my dad again, and went out Saturday to find no wind on the lake. So we just floated for a few hours. I did manage to get a tube out and float around, scrubbing some of the sides down, getting some dirt and spiderwebs off, and I've also been able to clean the topsides off with some actual soap and stuff, so the boat actually looks cleaner, finally.

And then I learned firsthand that when they say those mid 90-s Merc outboards with tiller shifting aren't meant to be shifted into gear when not running, they actually aren't kidding. We got back to the dock Saturday, to get ready to enjoy the marina's Summer Bash evening, and I wanted to make sure I actually had gotten into Neutral. Turned the handle, it went into Reverse, and then stuck. Ended up taking two hours Sunday morning tearing it apart and fixing it. Well, more like an hour the first time, then getting it working and realizing the tube had come off the impeller and we had no water, so we had to drop the lower again and fix that. So then we went out for another four hours or so of light wind wisping along.

In the end though? Still on a boat :)

7. CharlzO

CharlzO

Joined Jan 14, 2014
    214 posts, 12 likes
    Newport Newport 28
    US Fair Haven, NY
    Went up this weekend, we had a fun race planned on Saturday morning, and I had someone from work that said they wanted to come up Sunday and spend the day out in the sun. So let me retreat two weeks:

Previously, I had made a trip up to make sure that I had removed one of the plugs in the cockpit. When Dad was up with me last weekend, I remember having the plug out still, which was fine, there wasn't enough wind or waves to splash any up into from behind. So when I hopped off the boat two weeks ago, I had in my mind that knowledge that I had left a plug out.

I arrived Saturday morning, and imagine my surprise to see a few inches in the cockpit floor. Well that's strange, I thought. Was there a stray bit of plastic that plugged the hole? My spare gas can sits in that corner so I had to move it to see. Oh, well.. there's the plug, in the hole. Racking my brain, I still to this day have no idea if I had done it, if dad had seen it there and thought to put it in when we were out, anything? No idea. But pulled the plug, problem solved. Or so I thought.

I unlocked the latch, I pushed the hatch open and pulled the boards and oh look, there's five inches of water in the cabin, and there floats my cooler. What in the hell, I think to myself. That's what happens when two weeks go by of near-constant rain while the cockpit drains are plugged, the water rises up to the companionway and rains inside. And without an automatic switch on the bilge (yes, my fault on that), it just made things very wet.

It was really gusty, and quite the wave state for the race, but I was also solo, so I made the choice to forgo the race, and focus on clean-up. Flipped the bilge switch to ON, and grabbed a bucket, sitting straddled across the cabin and scooping into the bucket, dumping out into the cockpit to drain out, while the pump did it's little bit too. It didn't take TOO long to empty but I was right annoyed with myself. I pulled the two carpets out of the cabin and draped them on the dock to dry out, and walked to the piers on the lake to watch the start of the race for a while.

I spent the rest of Saturday watching some Netflix, and surfing online, had a couple sandwiches, and passed out for Sunday. At least I'd have company coming. Except they never were able to make it up. It was a nice day, but almost no wind for most of it, so I just spent the rest tidying up a little more, getting the now-dry carpets back in, took some pictures of some activities, and called it an early evening. I did start the motor up to get it some run-time, and managed to actually get it started it in under ten pulls. Miracles still happen.

And I still was on the boat for a weekend, despite all of it. I'll take that every time. And I made sure BOTH plugs were out, and locked in the cabin this time.

Will Gilmore likes this.
  8. MitchK

MitchK

Joined Sep 22, 2017
    84 posts, 13 likes
    US Burbank, WA
    CharlzO, good to hear you are spending time on the boat even if it is not doing what you wanted. Its all good! Maybe I missed it, why do you plug the cockpit drains? seems to me you would want to keep them open all the time. I know on mine, when leaves an such will plug the drain holes. A previous owner had modified a flat sink strainer to fit in the holes too keep leaves and such out. I modified their idea by taking a small cup style strainer and attaching it to the flat strainer. That way if leaves get in the boat, the obstructions have to get about 2" high before it would plug the drain. I'll try and get some pictures of what I have if you are interested. I need to make another one since I made a tribute to Poseidon last Fri when I was pressure washing the boat.

9. CharlzO

CharlzO

Joined Jan 14, 2014
    214 posts, 12 likes
    Newport Newport 28
    US Fair Haven, NY
    I generally don't keep them in unless I'm underway with a following sea state, and even then I'm usually too lazy to put them in. I don't mind the water, but the first time Dad was out with me, it was splashing in a bit, so we put them in to cut down on him looking down. Didn't really matter to me, but just kept the cockpit clear. I do have the outboard on the back so my weight balance might have me down a half inch closer, but yeah. It's really nothing I would ever normally have in, but then I figured with my dad aboard, I'd appease him. Maybe I just need flappers! Until then, just means I have to get around to wiring a float switch soon.

Sail Trim Chart and Guide
When it comes to sailing, as basic as salt and pepper and just as indispensable!
Leaky Lewmar ports?
Start by replacing lens gaskets in stock now
Turn any toilet into a Raritan for a fraction of the cost
The Raritan LBA matches your existing bowl with the pump/plumbing of a PHII or PHC. save!
Sunbrella lifesling covers
Any color, fits over existing bag to match your existing canvas.