Mystified!

gdudik

Oct 25, 2017
Catalina 22 Vancouver, WA
Well here is the result. I did rent a pressure device and tested the system. I found a cracked hose that had a small leak behind a fitting. It would leak while we were running and the heat from the engine would evaporate the antifreeze when the engine was stopped and not show a trail. Upon inspection the hose(s) were pretty badly cracked and could have failed so I am glad that I went looking for it. I also found a very slight leak at a fitting at the pump and will fix that as well. Lesson learned...check your hoses regularly. BTW I am finding it hard to find 5/8" hardwall water hose (green strip). Thanks again for your help with this. As usual you all are such a great resource for problems like this!
Glad to hear pressure tester worked. The one I have also came with a device for using air compressor to pull vacuum on cooling system to fill all the pockets and voids without going through laborious burping procedures.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I found a cracked hose that had a small leak
Good for you. It is always the something we can not see that will give us a bad day. Good you found it this way "regular maintenance inspection" then thru a sudden failure.
Happy Sailing.

Nodak7

Sep 28, 2008
Hunter 41DS Punta Gorda, FL
Well the saga continues! As I was repairing the leak(s) I began inspection of the hose and found it to be in marginal to poor shape. I finally came to the decision that to be confident the hoses would not fail me at a inopportune time now would be the time to change them. On the 41DS these hoses run under the sole plate to the water heater compartment and its a pretty ugly and difficult hose to reach or pull through. Part of it is visible from the void under the galley and some of it is visible from the starboard water tank inspection port. Anyway while pondering this project I realized that if I could lift the water heater and pan out of the way that would give me good access to the hose run. All I needed to do was disconnect the water lines and relief valve hose remove then the 4 hold down screws. I did that and sure enough it will be a much simpler hose (2) pull. FYI if you have to do it again. I am also changing the hoses from hardwall water hose to hardwall engine water hose that is better suited to the temperature.

Attachments