Mystery Through hulls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mselv1

Jul 18, 2010
Hunter 27 Laurel Harbor
Hi I am a newbie to both the forums and to my '76 H27. So I must profess ignorance on this issue.
The boat was given to me after having been stored on stands for the past 5 years. I am attempting to repair all environmental damage I find and make her seaworthy and proceed from there. (1.5 feet of water in the cockpit, Wiring mess etc)
I have 2 mystery thru hulls at the bottom of the transom. (see pic) They pass thru the transom and have no plumbing attached once on the dry side of the hull! Is this correct? Am I misunderstanding their purpose?
The boat has been modified over the years so anything is possible. All comments are appreciated.
Regards,
Mark

Attachments

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 37-cutter, '79 41 23' 30"N 82 33' 20"W--------Huron, OH
Have never seen that. Cockpit scuppers usually exit at or above the waterline. Are they capped inside? Or do they have shutoff valves or seacocks? That really is a mystery. I looked for some stern views on YachtWorld. All were like this 1979: http://www.yachtworld.com/core/list.../Newburyport/MA/United-States&boat_id=2046639 . Of course there were lots of changes from those earliest years. I could not find another '76 to compare.

Mselv1

Jul 18, 2010
Hunter 27 Laurel Harbor
Thanks Steve and Ed.
That is the mystery...No plugs or seacocks of any kind. My son crawled in the quarter berth to look at these, so I guess my next trip to the boat I will have to get my wide beam back in there and trace all plumbing. I am pretty sure the cockpit drains wye and exit through another thru hull below the waterline.
Not 100% sure of anything as we have only been to the boat twice and the first time was to de-water the cabin and remove all the moldy contents.
I'll investigate further and post a followup next week.
Thanks again.

Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 1999 C36 MKII #1787 Coyote Point Marina, CA.
Those through hulls do not appear to be below water line. One way to test them is to use a water hose and pour water in them while some one watches from inside. Or - use a coat hanger and gently push inside and see where it goes. Be careful to not force it and not tare the hoses inside. Make a U turn on the nd of the coat hanger.

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 37-cutter, '79 41 23' 30"N 82 33' 20"W--------Huron, OH
My own H37C scuppers exit through the bootstripe. Port scupper goes to starboard and vice versa. Anxious to hear what you find back there. On my boat the bottom of the stern lockers have false bottoms that can be removed. That is how I get to that part of the stern.

Jun 21, 2007
Hunter Cherubini 36_80-82 Sausalito / San Francisco Bay
Cherubini H27 owners -- you should weigh in.

Regarding the H27 thru-hulls location that is highlighted: The corresponding area on my Cherubini H36 transom would be in fact above the water line.

But since other H27's do not have this feature, certainly seems that a PO installed them for some reason. Given the extremely tight confines of the interior of this area, is it even possible to attach any hoses to the thru-hulls from the inside? Are there nuts on the inside threads or are the two thru-hulls just caulk/glued in? I am going to opine that a PO installed them as an automatic drain in case the interior became flooded during the extended time spent on the stands! By your comments however, the plan didn't work very well.

Congratulations on having come across your boat at such a reasonable acquisition cost. Right after buying my Cherubini 36 three years ago, I saw an H27 also for sale. My initial reaction was very nice boat for only 27 feet. Particularly the interior for its size. It would have attracted my attention if I had seen it first. (But I'm now more that happy with the larger 36' and the even larger interior.)

Apr 13, 2009
Hunter 27_75-84 Edgewater, Chesapeake
No Mystery For Me

Hello there!

On my cherubini 27 these holes are used as:
1) is the drain hole for the 'wet locker'. Am not sure if this is the intent of the external locker behind the tiller post but mine always has an inch or two of water in it, hence my name for it.
2) is the bilge

I've never had a significant amount of water in the bilge except the one time the engine water hose split so not a lot of water will be seen from either of these exits.

I have tried to find photos but don't have any, sorry.

Jun 5, 2010
Hunter 25 Burlington NJ
Mystery thru-hulls' solution

On an H27 these t-hulls should be above the at-rest waterline; but I think we'll all concur that they should have seacocks attached to them or else be relocated or 'glassed over. If this boat were taking on water they'd be close enough to the waterline to be a real problem... especially if the reason the boat were taking on water was because one of these cheesy nylon t-hull fittings had failed. They should be SS (looks nice), bronze, or Marelon, and with pipe threads and fitted with (Marelon) seacocks.

The BEST place for any bilge-pump exit is like in the cove stripe. This gives you the longest amount of time for the pump to continue running before the exit is underwater and no longer efficient. If this streaks your hull with slime, clean it-- for a responsible yachtsman no amount of 'convenience' should circumvent safety. (You can make nifty little spouts for the t-hulls out of milk-carton plastic that will keep waste water from dripping down the hull.)

A word about Marelon (and remember I do NOT work for Forespar!). The guy who used to edit the BoatUS newsletter, 'Seaworthy', has an eye-opening book out that we should all read. In it he describes a standard production sailboat which sank at the dock for no apparent reason. The truth was that 1-1/2" of snow on the deck had lowered the float level enough that a cheesy nylon t-hull fitting in the bootstripe had become submerged, and the t-hull fitting had a UV-sponsored crack in it. It could happen to you. Marelon, though it becomes chalky-looking, does not structurally degrade in the UV and would not have cracked in this application (though in either case a seacock should be fitted on ANYTHING below the heeled --or following-sea-- waterline; and it should have been turned off when the boat is left alone). 'Nuf said.

Nov 14, 2006
Hunter 27 Lake Lanier, GA
???

The stern of Dragon Fly my '83 H27 does not have those t-hulls. The t-hull clamshell on the upper port side is a fuel vent of somekind... on my Catalina 22 we had similar t-hulls that acted as additional scuppers for the cockpit.

Attachments

Mselv1

Jul 18, 2010
Hunter 27 Laurel Harbor
Update

Sorry for the delayed response on this. I do greatly appreciate everyone's replies and suggestions.
I finally made it down to the Boat in NJ last week and crawled headfirst into the quaterberth (a hilarious sight according to my wife as I am 6'1" and 280lbs!) I took the attached photo and looked at all plumbing runs.
As you can see from the photo there is nothing attached to either thru - hull. Nor any indication of piping that may have been. The cockpit drain on the Port side wyes to the drain from the "IceBox" helm seat drain and goes to a thru - hull. The Starboard side cockpit drain goes to it's own thru hull. The questionable thru hulls are in open bilge area under the aft end of the cockpit that can be seen from the quarterberth and from the Starboard side cockpit locker.

I recently received a packet of info from the P/O and spoke to him about these. He said they were on when he purchade the boat used. Interestingly... I found a copy of a survey done in 2004 where the surveyor made a recommendation that they be capped instead of plugged with corks!! I did find the corks in the bilge. The boat has not been in the water since the survey.
In looking through this site I did find a pic of another H27 with the same thru hulls. So I guess I will send Hunter a letter to see if I can find out the intent and if they were factory installed because my interest has been piqued.

Next step in this project is to build an A-frame to lower the mast. The marina where she sits is not sailboat friendly and has no derrick etc. So I am on my own to build a solution. Any comments or suggestions are always appreciated.

BTW I do not recommend crawling headfirst into the quarter berth if you are near my size. Getting in is okay. getting back out around that dang nav area is a pain.

More updates to follow and thank you again to all who commented.
Regards,
Mark

s/v "Sweat Equity"

Attachments

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
Just a question. How does the cockpit drain? I cannot believe that these are not for a locker or cockpit drain. It does not appear that the cockpit can drain anywhere except the bilge (not a real good idea).

Mselv1

Jul 18, 2010
Hunter 27 Laurel Harbor
Steve, There are 2 Thru hulls one each Starboard and Port. These I believe will be either at waterline or just below. Photo of Starboard interior shot attached.
I have tested each by flowing water thru the cockpit drains. The port side has a wye (tee) in it that allows the drain from the aft locker (IceBox) to drain.
I have noticed that every hose on this boat needs to be double clamped. Just ordered an assortment of clamps for next visit.

Mark

Attachments

Jan 2, 2008
Hunter 33 (Cherubini design Forked River, Barnegat Bay, NJ
I have done lots of crazy stuff while working on my boats but I have drawn the line at man-handling the mast of a decent size boat that is not designed for manual raising, particularly while on land. There are certainly ways to do it but it needs lots of preparation and thought. My suggestion is to get the boat in the water and take it down to Ted and Sons in Forked River. Frank is the best on the river in terms of both competence and price. For a mast he charges by man and machine time. If you're prepared it works out good. If you are laying the mast on the boat make sure you have proper supports in place ready to accept it. If it becomes an issue I can show you how I did mine. I offset it to the side so I can still move around the boat easily and I don't slam my head on it each time I exit the companionway.

Nov 14, 2006
Hunter 27 Lake Lanier, GA
Captain Ron: Ah…Don't worry, boss. If anything's gonna happen it's gonna happen out there.

I started watching Capt Ron last night and feel this quote
"Captain Ron: Ah…Don't worry, boss. If anything's gonna happen it's gonna happen out there. ":dance:works perfectly in this example...especially since there seems to be other 27's with the same thru hulls....you should be fine....you can always test the theory of them staying above the water by standing at the stern and having a friend climb the ladder...The only other thru hull I always worry about is at the vanity sink.:)

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
kloudie: There are losts of examples out there with the early 27's that have the through hull on the stern. They are NOT underwater (unless you overload the stern).

Status
Not open for further replies.