Mystery protrusion on starboard side of hull 1976 Hunter 25

Nov 5, 2018
Hunter 25 Edgewood
I recently acquired a sailboat and noticed a small protrusion about 5x5in, under the starboard side of the hull in front of the keel. I have heard a few things, the one closest is that it is the plug to seal the toilet that is located above in the cabin The original toilet was removed some time in the past and there is now just a porta-potty type setup. Does anyone know what this could be? Any help is appreciated. Thanks
20181027_101357-min.jpg
20181030_181916-min.jpg
20181030_181922-min.jpg

Apr 22, 2011
Hunter 27 Pecan Grove, Oriental, NC
I'm not buying that it has something to do with the toilet removal. It looks like it could be a grounding plate for lightning protection or for a single sideband install. Is there a bolt inside the hull right above the thing?

Nov 5, 2018
Hunter 25 Edgewood
I will have to check tomorrow. Im not exactly sure what is on the other side.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I'm not buying that it has something to do with the toilet removal. It looks like it could be a grounding plate for lightning protection or for a single sideband install. Is there a bolt inside the hull right above the thing?
:plus:
Those would also be my guesses.

Nov 5, 2018
Hunter 25 Edgewood
Gonna guess depth transducer also.. Someone went through a bunch of trouble to make the bottom horizontal.. Looks like the fairing block is wood?
I was looking at that also; it is wood of some type. Also there is a depth finder in-dash display in the cockpit. After you mentioned it I started looking around, and it does look similar to some other transducer applications.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
It looked to me like a jack stand's pad that some teenage yard worker got stuck to the fresh bottom paint and it miraculously hung on there. But a depth finder transducer seems more reasonable considering its shape. Crazy. That should be fixed and fared, whatever it is. Go to a bilge mounted internal transducer and improve your sailing. It'll be like adding five years of sail trim experience in a few hours.

-Will (Dragonfly)