Registered users don't see ads

Mystery leak

Discussion in 'Mid-Size Boats' started by Tom H31, Aug 5, 2017. Add this thread to a FAQ

1. Tom H31

Tom H31

Joined Jan 11, 2004
    52 posts, 1 likes
    Hunter 31_83-87
    US Middle River, MD
    Found wet fabric at the very aft end of the quarter berth (1986 H31). This is usually a dark, damp area with no ventilation, but the water was very noticeable when I peeled up the fabric. I checked the port side cockpit drain hose that exits in this area, but found no leaks. I have checked all around this area, but nothing jumps out as the culprit. Any ideas or similar issues?

2. SFS

SFS

Joined Aug 18, 2015
    1,112 posts, 214 likes
    Hunter 31
    US Tampa Bay
    Some ideas:

1) Water can come through cockpit scupper fittings. It drips to the quarterberth surfaces, then migrates to the lowest point, which on my 1983 H31 is the aftmost point of the quarterberth, along the transom at the centerline bulkhead.

2) If the scupper fitting leaks, it can drip onto the top of the false ceiling above the quarterberth and migrate across the boat, down the centerline bulkhead, and ending up in some strange places.

3) The floor of your aft cockpit lazarette likely has one or more hoses coming through it (vents, fills, etc). If water gets in the laz, it just comes through the floor, and ends up in more strange places.

One thing to remember. Leaks can occur a LONG way from where you see the water end up. And water will run uphill, which seemingly contravenes the laws of physics.

Try these threads, which elaborate on those three ideas. The second one is long, but covers a lot of possibilities:
    https://forums.sailboatowners.com/index.php?threads/surprise-my-boat-leaks.179496/&highlight=leak

https://forums.sailboatowners.com/i...nt-leak-near-fuel-tank.181234/&highlight=leak

Last edited: Aug 5, 2017
  3. Tom H31

Tom H31

Joined Jan 11, 2004
    52 posts, 1 likes
    Hunter 31_83-87
    US Middle River, MD
    SFS, thanks very much for your help. I have seen water in the lazarette at various times, so I will need to check out that area for potential leak sources.

4. SFS

SFS

Joined Aug 18, 2015
    1,112 posts, 214 likes
    Hunter 31
    US Tampa Bay
    You are most welcome.

On my boat, the water that gets into the aft laz comes thru that laz floor, down the hoses, and ends up in at least two places: a) that deepest pit under the starboard laz (which I call the basement) just aft of the battery tray, and b) the place where you are encountering dampness. The water drips off the hoses onto that centerline bulkhead and runs aft, on both sides of, and under, that bulkhead.

I plan to caulk the hole where the hoses run through the laz floor, but I need to stop water from getting in that laz in the first place. The entry point still puzzles me.

5. Reg M

Reg M

Joined May 21, 2016
    118 posts, 5 likes
    Hunter 31
    Ca Montague, Prince Edward Island Montague
    SFS - One common way for water to get into the aft laz is under the edges of the aft laz covers when you are hoseing down the cockpit. The lids rest on those rubber bumpers which are about 3/4 of an inch high.

6. SFS

SFS

Joined Aug 18, 2015
    1,112 posts, 214 likes
    Hunter 31
    US Tampa Bay
    Reg, good to hear from you. I am aware of that mechanism of entry, and guard against it as best I can. Our problem seems to also include wind-driven rain from precisely the right direction. I am currently thinking about options for a) increasing the height of those "lips" on the laz, and b) sealing the hole in the aft laz floor through which the various hoses run.

7. Reg M

Reg M

Joined May 21, 2016
    118 posts, 5 likes
    Hunter 31
    Ca Montague, Prince Edward Island Montague
    Steve
    You might try some of that thick weatherstripping and stick it to the bottom of the lids between the rubber bumpers. Sorry I did not get to take you up on your sailing offer last winter but due to my Mom's illness we did not get down to Florida until late Dec and then came home mid Apr. The winter just seemed to fly by. Regards
    Reg

8. SFS

SFS

Joined Aug 18, 2015
    1,112 posts, 214 likes
    Hunter 31
    US Tampa Bay
    Reg, it's a standing offer, though we are getting closer to taking a stab at full time cruising. Sold the last piece of real estate yesterday, and are back to prepping the boat.

9. Ken13559

Ken13559

Joined Oct 29, 2005
    1,812 posts, 47 likes
    Hunter 326
    SG Singapore
    Mine water comes through the deck-hull joint from inside the rubrail. Flows down transom locker and finds its way to rear bulkhead (soaking and damaging the veneer) and wet the beddings. Tried Capt Tolley and Sikaflex but only reduces water intrusion, not stopping it. I suppose the rubrail has to come off to fix this. Thats gonna be quite some tough job. :(

10. mr c

mr c

Joined Aug 4, 2010
    77 posts, 0 likes
    hunter sailboat 31
    US northport
    My leak was from the glassed in tube for the cockpit drains on the bottom of the hull. Half way up the glassed in tube was a hole. Every time the boat bounced water would come in. Took awhile to find that.

Hunter prop struts and shafts
Everything you need for your power train
Hunter faucets and parts
Replacement fixtures, hoses, sprayers, washers, and more.
Deck fill caps for most Hunter sailboats
In stock, these caps will fit most boats newer than 1990