My turn

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
It's so hard not knowing what our plans are. We have agreed to sell our current home and downsize but we haven't decided if we will even stay on the east coast! So it is hard to plan on whether or not I will be able to keep the boat and with lack of use the past few years it seems ridiculous not to sell it. However, after two months in the gym the tennis elbow and carpal tunnel pain is much reduced. I also stopped taking lovostatin, which was clearly causing memory issues and can retard the healing of muscles and tendons. The jury is out on how healed I am. My trainer wants me to have six months under my belt before I do anything crazy...like mow my lawn. Historically steering my lawn tractor has been a problem...along with pulling lines on the boat and operating screwdrivers. I have used a screwdriver a little without discomfort, but I tire easy still.

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
No such thing as a low rent marina in the Boston area. I am lucky they still let us do our own work. I am going to start by popping off the teak blocks the turning blocks are mounted to for the fore halyards and that should give me an idea of how accurate my readings are. I am also considering a professional inspection to tell me whether or not it is worth it.

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
At the boat! Boy things have been crazy lately. I removed her winter cover and began my investigation by removing tge two deck blocks in the "wet" area. One waa set in a bed of silicone. The other in butyl tape. It is tough to remove deck hardware solo, but i managed. I expected a lot of wet black mush on the screws. Nope. I could press a small screwdriver down into a hole and express some water. I took the cover off the beam in the head. Bone dry. I pulled back the carpet by the head thinking i wouldcut an inspection hole to check if the was a block under the compression post. I was thrilled to find an existing access port and a block under the compression post. It wa hard to see but i stuck a screwdriver tip in it and it is sound. So i went back on deck and ran my moisture meter over the deck again confirming my original results. Si i decided to overbore the block mounting holes to see more into how wet the deck truly is. I plan to fill the larger holes and redrill them when I remount the blocks. To my surprise nothing but clean tan shavings when i dug around the larger holes. So nothing but good news but i am still puzzled. I may have a surveyor meter the deck for me.

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
So, one more piece of data today. I removed the VHF cable overdrilled the hole. I knew this was a water entry point during the survey seven years ago and i thought i had sealed it up. Drilling it brown dust was all i found rather than black mush. So perhaps i did seal it but it dry rotted.

Jun 25, 2016
hobie 14 homosassa river
I may be interested in a project, I do like the S2 although I may prefer the 11m. Keep me in mind. Also to bring a project back to Fl from Ma believe it or not interests me greatly.

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
Well, I don't think it has quite devolved to project boat. But if I do give up I will let you know.

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
More investigation today. It dawned on me that the shower curtain track is screwed into the "wet" area. I pulled all the screws...bone dry. I drilled a few more 3/8" holes along the bulkhead inside the head and the core was sound and bone dry. I peeled back the headliner on the opposite side of the bulkhead under the dent in the deck all the way to the support post. I think i found the root cause. The bulkhead is a little crushed down next to the post. It looks like water got in through the mast base where they ran the masthead wiring.