My New Boat - A Tartan 3800

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
I have a 1996 Tartan 3800 under agreement, hull no. 20 (only 43 or 44 were made). I am pretty certain all will go well with the survey and sea trail, and we will own it. It's a beauty! It has sand an off-white gel coat deck with contrasting, sand-colored non-skid areas, and blue painted topsides, varnished, teak toerails; "toast" dodger, bimini, and connector; four, stainless steel dorade ventilator cowls, with guards; white polyurethane coated, tapered, aluminum spar and matching boom; fairly new, cruising laminate sails, and more.

I love our C36, and feel a bit sentimental putting her on the market. But we are excited about this new one. Everything seems a bit up-standard from the other, just heavier, sturdier, more substantial.

Friends said "sail it for a year before changing anything!" They know me, and my obsessive tendencies. There are a couple of things we will do immediately, though. My wife can't see over the huge instrument pod at the helm; I have a plan to replace that with the standard pedestal guard, and an Edson Vision, deep pod to stbd, with a smaller B&G Zeus2 MFD; the 9" one currently installed will go to the nav station. The Simrad pilot control head will go in a pod to port. The B&G Triton instrument display will "chill" for now. It has Raymarine W/S/D instruments on the cockpit bulkhead to stbd. Next, the lifelines. They are currently vinyl-covered, and showing signs of age and corrosion. I will change these to bare SS 1x19, probably done by Rigging Only in Fairhaven (close to us). Based on the survey, I may replace the standing rigging, as if original, it's 21 years old. Also Rigging Only.

Other than that, I think it could be considered "turn key." It had lots of updates in 2016, 2012, and 2010. Of course, I will want to 'customize' and change or correct things, despite my wife's objections!

edited for spar finish

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2008
Bristol 29.9 Dana Point
You could have saved a thousand words just by posting a picture.
:-D
Have always liked that model of Tartan.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Beautiful boat. I always thought the 3800 was the (second) prettiest boat there is:)
Thanks, Don. I initially wanted a T3700, and looked at one that was for sale locally, and affordable. My wife didn't like it, for a bunch of reasons. I begrudgingly looked at the T3800 she found, and fell in love with it. The T3700 is beautiful, too, and carries more beam aft, making for a wider cockpit, and bigger aft stateroom and head. But the cabinetry was cherry and of what we thought was a lower standard. The T3800 is all teak below, and more wood than the T3700; "1,600 pieces of teak!" as one T3800 owner I met exclaimed. It is also more traditional looking and feeling to us, in many ways. Plus, you can't 'order' a used boat, you have to find something that fits the budget, and that you can see reasonably, and transport reasonably. This 3800 is in our back yard.

Oct 9, 2008
Bristol 29.9 Dana Point
Wow. Even from a distance I can see she's a stunner. PO paid attention to detail. That means the whole boat usually.
When you have more + interior please post.
Edit: nevermind. I found it on yachtworld.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Very nice. What is going on with the two port-side cabin-top winches lined up on one another? I like those color-coded traveler lines, might have to steal that idea!

jviss

Feb 5, 2004

Very nice. What is going on with the two port-side cabin-top winches lined up on one another? I like those color-coded traveler lines, might have to steal that idea!
Yea, good question. The sheet stoppers there are only two, for reef one and jib halyard. Starboard sheet stoppers are spinnaker halyard, main halyard, [indecipherable], and boom vang.

Update: maybe the main sheet?

Last edited:

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Very nice, congratulations. All you have to do is remember to go to starboard instead of port to sit at the saloon table! :)
Yes, lest I fall on my ass! likewise the galley, now I have to go starboard for a beer after coming down the companionway.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
I meant town-wise! But yes, the current owner keeps it in heated, indoor storage at Burr Bros. in Marion, MA. I'm guessing over $6k/year.

Both our kids keep theirs that way too. Too bad daddy can't afford it.

She looks like the beauty queen contest at any mooring field.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Both our kids keep theirs that way too. Too bad daddy can't afford it.

She looks like the beauty queen contest at any mooring field.
Thanks, Stu, that's very kind. Yea, this Daddy can't afford that kind of storage cost. I'm on the waiting list at my marina for indoor storage; it's in barn-like sheds, dirt floor, no heat, but more like $2,400 (versus $1,700 outside), not including un-rigging, mast, and furler storage.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Thanks, John, and others for the nice words. Looking forward to it.