My Mac is a little hard to keep on a straight cause under motor power, any thoughts

Discussion in 'Ask A Macgregor Owner' started by 1sailsman, Nov 24, 2018. Add this thread to a FAQ

1. 1sailsman

1sailsman

Joined Sep 12, 2018
    11 posts, 1 likes
    MacGregor 26X
    still deciding US Ft. Lauderdale, FL and Travers
    Just returned from a quick trip down the New River in Ft. Lauderdale under power. The boat seemed hard to keep on a straight track. I did not have the rudders installed, steering by prop only. Also, not sure if the daggerboard was down, the line to control raising or lowering seemed too slack. Assuming I get the dagger down, will having rudders attached help control the boat so a straight track can be enjoyed? Thanks in advance for any thoughts!

2. justsomeguy

justsomeguy

Joined Feb 20, 2011
    6,938 posts, 1,196 likes
    Island Packet 35
    US Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
    Good heavens yes.

FDL S2 and Justin_NSA like this.
  3. markwbird

markwbird

Joined Nov 26, 2012
    1,013 posts, 243 likes
    Hunter 34
    US Berkeley
    I think you’ve answered your own question.

Justin_NSA likes this.
  4. 1sailsman

1sailsman

Joined Sep 12, 2018
    11 posts, 1 likes
    MacGregor 26X
    So that means I can use both rudders and engine at same time. I was advised by someone in Michigan that using the rudders while motoring alone was not the best way to go.

5. justsomeguy

justsomeguy

Joined Feb 20, 2011
    6,938 posts, 1,196 likes
    Island Packet 35
    Just check for interference between either rudder and the propeller throughout their entire range of motion. You can do some tight maneuvering by working them together.

Then motor with a friend! :biggrin:

hoosierdoc likes this.
  6. 1sailsman

1sailsman

Joined Sep 12, 2018
    11 posts, 1 likes
    MacGregor 26X
    Full range of turning allows for both rudders and prop to operate without interfering.

justsomeguy likes this.
  7. Meriachee

Meriachee

Joined Aug 1, 2011
    3,282 posts, 1,124 likes
    Catalina 270
    CA Wabamun - on the orange ball
    With nothing to stop the boat from wallowing around, chances are that it's going to wander. The propellor wants very much to pass this lump of stiff that's preventing it from moving forward. Put the board down and use that as the fulcrum.

8. markwbird

markwbird

Joined Nov 26, 2012
    1,013 posts, 243 likes
    Hunter 34
    US Berkeley
    I always motor with a friend.

justsomeguy and Meriachee like this.
  9. Sumner

Sumner

Joined Jan 31, 2009
    5,248 posts, 288 likes
    Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37
    US Utah's Canyon Country
    I'd check with some other X or M owners. I believe it is going to be different what should be down depending on if you are running at displacement speeds or faster, which a X or M will do or in the transition speeds between displacement and planning. I sent you a PM,

Sumner
    ===========================================================================
    1300 miles to The Bahamas and Back in the Mac...
    Endeavour 37 Mods...

MacGregor 26-S Mods...
    Mac Trips to Utah, Idaho, Wyoming, Canada, Florida, Bahamas

10. DreamCatcher

DreamCatcher

Joined Dec 3, 2018
    2 posts, 0 likes
    MacGregor 26X
    Dream Catcher US Georgetown, Maine
    With the rudders up (or not present) and the centerboard up (Xs have a centerboard, not a daggerboard,) my X wanders around while motoring as well. There’s not enough structure to grip the water to provide tracking. MacGregor advises us not to use the rudders or centerboard at speeds over 6mph. However, I find that dropping the board about 1/4 of the way steadies the boat a lot. I am not an engineer or boat designer, so do this at your own judgement and be careful, especially when turning sharply.

11. Brian D

Brian D Moderator

Joined Feb 17, 2006
    4,444 posts, 1,065 likes
    Lancer 27PS
    US MCB Camp Pendleton, Ca KF6BL
    You didn't indicate what size motor you have. But I am sure if it is in the ballpark of <10hp then why are you not using the rudder and center board? These two items are pretty much essential to the operation of the boat. Like mentioned above, the use of both rudder and motor while turning can make for a very tight turn. But for normal operation (below 6knts?) put down that center board and use the rudder.

12. justsomeguy

justsomeguy

Joined Feb 20, 2011
    6,938 posts, 1,196 likes
    Island Packet 35
    I did not know that.

13. kenny13669

kenny13669

Joined Jan 22, 2008
    4 posts, 0 likes
    Macgregor 26X
    CA Ghost Lake, Cochrane AB
    It is VERY important not to use the rudders or centreboard in down position when motoring any speed above this, particularly IF you have emptied ballast with the intent of reaching higher speeds. I will sometimes run with the centerboard down about 2 inches showing below the hull at moderate speeds but even at that you must be careful particularly when turning (don't turn sharply)

14. Meriachee

Meriachee

Joined Aug 1, 2011
    3,282 posts, 1,124 likes
    Catalina 270
    @justsomeguy , did your Mac go faster than 6? :)

15. Brian D

Brian D Moderator

Joined Feb 17, 2006
    4,444 posts, 1,065 likes
    Lancer 27PS
    US MCB Camp Pendleton, Ca KF6BL
    Bad form, Meriachee, bad form.

I read in the 26x manual (curious) that indeed the boat is extremely unstable at higher speeds if the rudder is down or the centerboard. But they do say to put the CB down about 1/4 when going slow.

upload_2018-12-4_8-44-22.png

16. justsomeguy

justsomeguy

Joined Feb 20, 2011
    6,938 posts, 1,196 likes
    Island Packet 35
    There were times that the GPS noted top speeds a bit higher than 6 kts, but I'm pretty sure those were aberrations.

Meriachee likes this.
  17. Meriachee

Meriachee

Joined Aug 1, 2011
    3,282 posts, 1,124 likes
    Catalina 270
    Brian, nah. JSG and I have had many a conversation about the Mac, we both owned them for a very long time. I refrained from the “downhill with a tailwind” comment on purpose this time. :)

Brian D likes this.
  18. justsomeguy

justsomeguy

Joined Feb 20, 2011
    6,938 posts, 1,196 likes
    Island Packet 35
    But I've never owned an X or M model, thus my ignorance. :doh:

19. Meriachee

Meriachee

Joined Aug 1, 2011
    3,282 posts, 1,124 likes
    Catalina 270
    Me too, but I raced one once and proved, again that the c model is a faster boat.
    (Stir that pot).:kick:

20. ris

ris

Joined Feb 23, 2015
    9 posts, 0 likes
    Macgregor 26
    US FROSTPROOF
    We just put a 42 inch long by 6 inch skeg on the aft center line of our 26X and the motoring without rudders is amazing. I can now line the boat up with trailer from 50 ft away and drive straight up on the trailer to the rubber stop with no help. We are starting the great loop for the second time in March 2019 and this will be a long term test of the skeg. We also had our 14 X 9 prop repitched to a 14 X 7 and picked up 850 rpm at wot. We can now run on plane with 1200 lbs of gear on board with our Honda 60 while getting 4.5 mpg. We get 10 mpg at 7.5 mph.

Gray ports and parts
The most popular port on boats built from the 70s into the 90s.
Winch covers
Any brand, every size, any color!
Leaky Lewmar ports?
Start by replacing lens gaskets in stock now
Sail Trim Chart and Guide
When it comes to sailing, as basic as salt and pepper and just as indispensable!
-->