My Hunter 36 lists to the port side

Jul 6, 2017
Hunter H 41DS Hampton, VA
I have a 2004 H36 (new to me this season) and it lists slightly to port. Just a few degrees mind you.
This is kinda is annoying because the shower drain, galley sink and head sink all hold a little bit of water that wont fully drain because the drains are not the lowest point in those fixtures and spills on the galley counter top run to the center line of the boat. The little puddles in the sinks and shower get funky.

Now the boat has, as you know, a massive lazarette on the port side that holds loads of stuff plus the battery banks. Mine is not necessarily full of a lot of things and even empty the boat lists. The PO did upgrade the batteries (4x6V and 1x12V).
Even when the waste, fuel, and hot water tanks are full (all on the starboard side) the boat lists.

Here's the thing. I sailed on a newer (2011) H36 all last year. Hunter had moved a lot of equipment around on the newer cheaper design. And.......that boat listed as well.

When I bought the boat the PO had stored full 1 and 2 gallon water bottles all over the boat in all the hard to get to places to give the boat more weight but he had the most water on the starboard side under the seating in the dinette. I must have removed 50 gallons of water.

Has anyone heard of this before? Is this a H36 thing?

P.S. no the keel is not bent or damaged.

Sep 22, 2009
Hunter 36 Seattle, WA
Our 2009 H36 started listing to port when we installed an enlarged battery bank two years ago. We have ballast to starboard in the form of used gym weights in 25lb size, placed in the areas between the cushions and the hull.
Ballast is an old and oft-used remedy for balancing a boat.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Dumb question, but your mast is perpendicular right? No offset to port?
Otherwise it sounds like you need to add ballast like Stewart said. Would be nice if it was something useful though.

Mar 20, 2004
Hunter 356 and 216 Portland, ME
this is common on the 356 and 36,especially when the batteries have been upgraded. you can try compensating ballast on the starboard side, maybe under the aft bunk...

Mar 3, 2003
Hunter 356 Grand Rivers
I have upgraded batteries and a genseset in the port lazarette and I also list to,port. Common on the boat to do that. Put some ballast on the starboard side of it bothers you.

Apr 21, 2014
Hunter 356 Middle River, MD
Have a generator in the lazarette as well as a pair of folding bikes plus 2 batteries and list to port. Boot strip always dirtier on the port side because it rides lower.
Has anyone tried relocating their battery bank to starboard under the after bunk?

Mar 20, 2004
Hunter 356 and 216 Portland, ME
It has been done - look in the forum archives under 356 projects. The project involved raising the dining settee seats a couple of inches to allow room for the batteries in boxes under the inside seat. It's a tradeoff