My Guetto Awning

Mar 15, 2013
Catalina 22 charleston
P1010224.JPG
P1010227.JPG
Here is my guetto awning and 3 reasons why it is better than the normal factory one. Reason 1. It sets up fast, clip 2 lines to side stays. 2. Unroll torwards back of boat. 3 unfold verticle poles. Slide 1 of the verticle poles into the socket and clip rear guy. 4 repeat with opposite side, done. 2 It stows easy for trailering, rolls into an 8 foot 3 inch thick bundle. 3. It provides more shade. 4. It can be used to collect rainwater to fill onboard 25 gallon tank. 5. It can ...be stored wet and will not mildew and 6. It is very cheap to replace. The only negative, IT LOOKS GUETTO. It is OK to laugh at my awning. I'll be in some beautiful place, sipping on a cold one, watching the sun go down, minus a really bad sunburn. I hated the factory awning because it had to come off for trailering, was heavy and bulky to stow and handle and was a pain to set back up. I will only install it if the boat is left at a marina for a long period.

Mar 15, 2013
Catalina 22 charleston
Take the set screw out of the lower pole bimini socket and you can just leave the bimini socket attached with the screw at take down. The downward pressure from the rear lines keep it in place. Just pull the pole out for quick take down. Easy to make bimini. Fold the ends over, sew with 4 lb test fishing line, insert pole in each end.
P1000111.JPG

Sep 20, 2014
Rob Legg RL24 Chain O'Lakes
Glad it works for your. My aftermarket one sets up in about 30 seconds and is rated for 70 mph winds setup, Folded with the cover has seen speed up to 90mph towing behind my motorhome. The only disadvantage is I had to make a taller post to set the mast on when trailering. I'm curious how you sail down wind with it up. Looks like your main sheet would interfere with the lines that clip to your stays.

Mar 15, 2013
Catalina 22 charleston
Glad it works for your. My aftermarket one sets up in about 30 seconds and is rated for 70 mph winds setup, Folded with the cover has seen speed up to 90mph towing behind my motorhome. The only disadvantage is I had to make a taller post to set the mast on when trailering. I'm curious how you sail down wind with it up. Looks like your main sheet would interfere with the lines that clip to your stays.

Mar 15, 2013
Catalina 22 charleston
f.jpg
They clear the main sheet. With this fractional swept back rig, the mainsail will contact the spreader before the mainsheet touches the awning line. I have used the same set up om my Catalina 22 for over 15 years with no problems. I think if the mast support pole is higher like the 260 is, I could just fold it back. When folded back it also was up against the pole and blocks my panel. I just grew to hate the thing. Check out my kite aerial. Awning is always in my way. I like the clean look with it gone. I just have used my homemade awning so long I like it better. I was going to make it with sunbrella fabric originally. I used the tarp as a pre test sort of thing. I liked the ability to fold it up wet with no worries. It also lasted for years since it was only exposed during my trips. So I never bothered with Sunbrella. When removed it is completely out of the way. If I don't want it in the cabin, I stow it along the starboard stanchions. I am going to sew a flap on the forward edge that can be unrolled to cover the entire companionway hatch. A small rope tied through the 2 grommets like reefing bunt ties will hold it in the rolled up position. Should keep the cabin cooler inside. Towels can be hung to the side flaps to block sun from the sides. I bought some small Harbor Freight hand clamps to hold them on. I also want to make an anchor riding sail sometime this summer out of an old C22 sail. Projects are part of the fun for me. Guess you just got to use what works for you.

Doug J

May 2, 2005
Hunter 26 Oceanside, CA
I like it dgreen! I'm on the same page as you! "Projects are part of the fun for me." Couldn't agree more. I'd love to see more of your projects.

I love this forum but not a lot of mods posted here it seems. I used to have a Macgregor 26S, did a lot of mods to it, many are posted here on sailboatowners.com . The MAC forum was very active with postings of mods. Fun to read and see pics, and for those of us that enjoy doing mods it produces a lot of great ideas. I've also done quite a few mods to my H26, also posted many of those here too.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I love this forum but not a lot of mods posted here it seems. I used to have a Macgregor 26S, did a lot of mods to it, many are posted here on sailboatowners.com . .
Look up sumner on this forum. He has a 26S and he has several links on the bottom of his posts that go to a mods page. He has done a tonne of mods to his Mac and frankly, I've stolen a few of his ideas. Cool stuff.

Doug J

May 2, 2005
Hunter 26 Oceanside, CA
Yep, I have followed Sumners stuff for years now. Got a lot of good ideas from him.
I prefer the older Macs, referred to as 26C for classic, which was built from 1988 to 1995. They include the 26S (Swing centerboard) and the 26D (Daggerboard). I really loved my 26S, and have been a fan of water ballast ever since. But the whole time I had it, I always thought I'd rather have a H26 or 260. The thing with the Macgregor 26C's is that they are bare bones, only the basics. So in essence they are project boats from the day they were new. Many owners are always doing stuff to make them more comfortable and sail better, though they do sail very well. In comparison the H26 or 260, comes nicely equipped from the factory. So, maybe that explains why this forum is not so busy with owners doing mods all the time.

Mar 15, 2013
Catalina 22 charleston
IMG_0432.JPG
Hmm, clever. To complete the look, string on some lighted hula girls and mount a beer-can-whirly-gig as a windvane. I like that solar panel mount. Does the panel angle forward?
Yes, the pole will rotate. There is a pin that holds the pole in place. I have a small line that I can use to lock it in position when the pin is out. The angle is fixed, unless you loosen the bolts on the U bolt. Now that I have a 2000 watt generator I probably won't worry about rotating the panel. The generator is quieter than my Tohatsu 6 sailpro extra long shaft at idle. I use a lot of juice when the admiral is onboard. 24inch TV, ice maker, CF-018 dometic freezer or fridge. In a lot of cases the panel is facing the wrong direction, flat may be the best way to go for me, still testing it. It will kick out 8 amps, though rated for 7 when straight at the sun. It is a Renogy 100 Watt mono panel. The 2000 watt generator will run a long time on very little fuel. I know a lot of boaters hate generators. This one is very quiet, and I only run it short periods before sunset to make a little ice for sundowners and my thermos and to top off the battery before the TV hit. It rocks. The generator is lighter than a second battery and with my 15 gallon fuel tank gives lots of recharge time as I use very little fuel for the outboard. If I am out on a solo sail trip, I do not need the generator, unless 2 days without solar. Where can I get the lighted hula girls and a beer can whirly gig? Sounds fun to me! Who does not like hula girls? I also just installed a Raymarine ST2000 plus tiller pilot. not sure how much juice it will take. I will be testing it soon in Panama City, Florida. Trailering down there from South Carolina for 2 weeks onboard. Also, will test generator running my mermaid AC, just to see how long it will run on a tank of fuel and if it will run.

Mar 15, 2013
Catalina 22 charleston
P1000018.JPG
Yep, I have followed Sumners stuff for years now. Got a lot of good ideas from him.
I prefer the older Macs, referred to as 26C for classic, which was built from 1988 to 1995. They include the 26S (Swing centerboard) and the 26D (Daggerboard). I really loved my 26S, and have been a fan of water ballast ever since. But the whole time I had it, I always thought I'd rather have a H26 or 260. The thing with the Macgregor 26C's is that they are bare bones, only the basics. So in essence they are project boats from the day they were new. Many owners are always doing stuff to make them more comfortable and sail better, though they do sail very well. In comparison the H26 or 260, comes nicely equipped from the factory. So, maybe that explains why this forum is not so busy with owners doing mods all the time.
I never owned a Mac., I have wanted one for years, The 26S was the one I wanted. I still have the original brochure in my Catalina 22 book. I bought a C22 and fell in love with it. I still have her in the back yard. I like the swing keel design. 550lbs is about the most weight I think a swing keel should be. The boat is just fun to sail. She is not getting much use now. I am keeping her just in case I grow tired of this Hunter 26. I probably would not have the 26 if I did not get such a great deal on it. The only way I would buy a non-trailerable sailboat is, if I lived on it, and then it would be 38 to 45 feet long. My wife loves our home, so I trailer everywhere. If you click on Dgreen1991, then photos, you can check out all the mods I have done. The only thing I wish it had, is a tandem axle galvanized or aluminum trailer.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Dgreen 1991
Would not suggest tandem axle. Look at the Sport 22 (Catalina) by Roadking. It will fit your hull as well assuming that you have the swing keel version as both hulls are the same. Boat will sit lower for easier launch even at shallow ramps and was able to motor on to the trailer. Ron and I designed the trailer. Take a look

Jun 28, 2016
Hunter 23.5 Paupack, PA
Wow - that is amazing! Congratulations on being my new "Turf and Surf" hero! That's exactly what we want to do, only on a smaller form factor (H23.5 to start). I am in complete agreement about this class of trailer-able sailboats, drop it on the hitch, drop it in the drink, explore new worlds. We're gonna practice on this lake up here for a couple of years, and then branch out. Er, please forgive my indolence regarding your remarkable bimini, that was all in jest. I would be proud to be seen in the shadow of such creative genius. You know, now that I think about it, it reminds me of those striped shade tops on the old Good Humor trucks. And who doesn't love a Good Humor truck?