My davits, solar panels and bird netting

Status
Not open for further replies.

curlew

Mar 12, 2011
catalina 310 charlottes cove tasmania
Hi Witzend, Is the bimini and davits a standard Catalina store purchase? If not where did you obtain them . They look really good.
Cheers Curlew

Dec 25, 2008
catalina 310 Elk River
Wow, out of almost 100 views someone finally comments and asks a question!
Curlew, the 4 Solar cells are Coleman 15W each (very inexpensive), I mounted them on 3/4" PCV frame thru bolted into the Bimini frame. The Davit hardware is by Garhauer. http://garhauermarine.com/catalog_process.cfm?cid=81 Mark who puts them together there was great!!!!.. and from my design he made modifications at no extra charge. I increased the length to help clear the transom when raising and lowering. The standard cross bar is set up for 90deg. angles. I did not like the stability and created a trapezoid with some added triangle supports.

Dec 5, 2010
Beneteau 331 0 Niceville FL
Thanks for the post.....we purchased the davits from .g.m. At the Miami boat show but have not installed them yet....your video helps give me some ideas on how it will all go together.

Dec 25, 2008
catalina 310 Elk River
It's a fine piece of hardware. The toughfest part was getting them so the cross bar ends up level, the placement of the bases is rather critical. I had the bases for the support struts custom made so they would not interfere with the transom hatch covers (again, no extra charge). The standard round ones I think will be just a little wide. Cutting the length of the struts is a bit tricky as well. Not sure how long your dink is, but make sure that the lift points pull inward (toward the center of the dink) so the lines don't chafe. This was another reason I created a trapezoid. I measured the distance of the lift points on my dink and subtract ~4" and then use that measurement for the cross bar length.

Sep 29, 2008
Catalina 310 #185 Quantico
Like your davits

Witz, with those on the back how does your boat ride? Mine seems to ride low in the back without all that.

Dec 25, 2008
catalina 310 Elk River
Of course without having the dink aboard, she is the same, the hardware alone is not a problem. You know as well as I that in a quarter sea on a beam reach she is a wallow-er with that wing keel, adding the dink seems to slightly amplify that problem.
"Cause she's a cruiser, a gunker, a midnight junker, she want's to wallow thru the waves"

Bob S

Sep 27, 2007
Beneteau 393 New Bedford, MA
Witz,

Curious why you didn't mount the solar panels on the davits? I bought Garhauer davits but haven't installed them yet. I'll wait until she's on the hard. My stern is a bit narrower than the 310. Hope it will work out.

Dec 25, 2008
catalina 310 Elk River
Witz,

Curious why you didn't mount the solar panels on the davits? I bought Garhauer davits but haven't installed them yet. I'll wait until she's on the hard. My stern is a bit narrower than the 310. Hope it will work out.
I installed the solar panels 2 seasons ago, I may add more on the davits someday.

Status
Not open for further replies.