My 1986 Catalina 22

Sep 23, 2016
Catalina 22 Jacksonville
I've got the new bulkhead all bolted in with new stainless bolts, nuts, and finishing washers. Had to rubber mallet it a bit but it fits nice and snug. Question about bedding the chainplates: all the guides I've seen have one piece units and you kind of wedge them in with butyl tape but my 86 has the 2 piece ones. Do I just kind of figure out where the plates are gonna sit when bolted, wrap them up, squish it into the hole, then pop the top plate on with a sort of butyl tape gasket?

Apr 11, 2017
Catalina C22 Solomon's Island, MD
I just finished this job. I have the 2 piece set-up as well. All I did was bold the chainplate to the bulkhead, then went topside and squished butyl tape into the chainplate slot through the deck, around the chainplate. I then made a bed of butyl tape under the area where the flat chainplate topside fitting comes down to the deck. I seated the flat plate over it and pressed down hard to seat it into the butyl tape. I then screwed down the flat plate onto the deck, as butyl tape squeezed out under the plate. I then rolled a thin line of butyl tape, and wrapped it around where the chainplate meets the flat plate, on the top of the plate. Looks a little like overkill, but seems very watertight so far.

Before all of this, I taped the underside of the chainplate slot, and injected 2 part penetrating epoxy, thinned with denatured alcohol, into the slit to let it soak into the core. After about 2 hours I removed the tape, and a small amount of remaining epoxy drained the slot. I had to push with steady pressure to run the chainplate through the slot, which had been narrowed by the setting epoxy. I'm happy with the end result.

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2016
Catalina 22 Jacksonville
All bedded in. Had to go up a size for the screws, used #10x3/4" stainless sheet metal screws. Dirty outline is from the duct tape I had on there before. I pressure washed the other day so that spot didn't get hit. Still need a couple new washers for the chainplate and it will be good as new.

I cleared out all the cushions inside, any tips for cleaning them off? Upholstery cleaner or oxyclean or something?

Attachments

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
I cleared out all the cushions inside, any tips for cleaning them off? Upholstery cleaner or oxyclean or something?
Admiral has one of these, works wonders if your cushions aren't toast, and they look pretty good from your original post, kinda a mini steam cleaner...worked well for us on '84 cushions, and handy round the house/boat for occasional red wine spills/dog stains, etc, good investment IMO, others may differ...

https://www.walmart.com/ip/BISSELL-...75035&wl11=online&wl12=35702152&wl13=&veh=sem

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2016
Catalina 22 Jacksonville
Finally finished bolting up the chainplate. Used blue locktite and new lock washers. Matches the other bulkheads pretty well. Hopefully won't have to touch it again for a while. Should be all ready to sail again, have new sails, mainsheet pulleys, and outhaul. I've got a shark steamer, I'll give that a try on the cushions.

Attachments

Sep 23, 2016
Catalina 22 Jacksonville
Aft bulkhead was soggy too so I replaced it. Ran out of the other brown stain so I used some white stain left over from a table. Turned out ok I guess.

I keep getting water in the battery compartment though. The door hinge screws have pulled out so it could be there. Seal looks good so I don't think it's from the lid. I think there may be leaking around the scuppers. Need to do the chalk trick. There's a blown out speaker in the cockpit that I need to replace so that could be it too.

My current list of things left to do:
Rebed stbd bulkhead chainplate with butyl tape (still solid so no hurry)
Fix battery cover hinge
Make adapter for my larger battery to fit hull indentation
Find battery compartment leak, scupper, speaker, lid(?)
Install new speakers
Figure out what bilge pump handle I need
Steam cushions
Fix electrical panel
Make replacement vinyl mast shroud caps
Foam teak cushions on the cockpit seats and deck
Replace fuel line connector on gas line and my outboard
Replace broken PVC shroud line covers

Attachments

Last edited: