My 1980 Hunter 30 rennovation

Feb 14, 2007
Ranger33 25 NewOrleans
Here is the base of the mast. I wanted to be able to raise the mast by myself, so I built a hinge in aluminium. I cut the pieces with my wood band saw using an old blade with oil. I went to a machine shop for the welding.

I installed 2 new thru wires and sealed them with buthyl tape. I replaced sealed wires connections for lighting in the mast and the VHF fitting. Brand new!

To be continued...
Man you wouldn't happen to have the measurements for the mast base on hand I want to do the same thing with my H30 im deffinitly bookmarking this thread I am buying my H30 tomorrow.

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2013
Hunter 30 Montreal
Hi JlLeblanc,

I did'nt get to the boat, but I should be onboard for next weekend and I'll take some measurments!

Sebastien

May 23, 2013
Hunter H42 Passage East Chicago and Hammond
Fuligule,
I see you replaced your front hatch glass. It looks like a Bomar cast type. I need to replace my glass in the front V-berth on my 1983 Hunter. May I ask how hard was it to remove the old Plexi? How hard was it replace? Where did you order your Plexi? Can I use any acrylic smoked plexi and what thickness? What did you use to bed it?

May 27, 2004
Hunter 30_74-83 Ponce Inlet FL
You can remove the hatch cover by gently removing the roll pins at the hinges and take it to a local glass company that does plate glass. They can tell you the tickness (1/4 inch lexan, IIRC), source it and install it in a couple of days and do it right the first time.

Jun 25, 2013
Hunter 30 Montreal
Hi 1Mcarlson,
I did'nt replace the glass, but just removed it and did a new joint with a sealant. I wrote to Bomar company and ordered a stuff (sealer) directly from them. I don't remember the exact nam of the product, but I remember that it it for sale on their web site.

I gently removed the old silicone sealer with a scraper and flat screwdriver, I sanded the edge of the glass a little bit with 220 or 320 grit sandpaper, then I removed all the old stuff on the bomar hatch aluminium structure and sanded it too. Then I used air with compressor to wash and I primed the surface with zinc primer, then I painted it with flat black metal paint and I applied the new sealer from Bomar and I replaced the old glass. Zinc primer is necessary prior to paint aluminium surfaces! Bomar explained to me that the sealer won't glue on aluminium directly. I hope it is enough clear... sorry for my English!

Jun 25, 2013
Hunter 30 Montreal
This summer, I sew hatch covers in Sunbrella Marine Fabric so the old glass is not visible. I also installed a solar air fan and told myself that if I scrap the old glass, it would be just a practice for a new one, but I did'nt have to buy new lexan.

Jun 25, 2013
Hunter 30 Montreal
Here a some pictures of the handrails covers I did with scrap pieces of Sunbrella Marine fabric:

Jun 25, 2013
Hunter 30 Montreal
Here are some soft shackes I have made with SK78 Dyneema 6 mm and SK75 Dyneema 4 mm. I really liked them for the last 2 months!

Jun 25, 2013
Hunter 30 Montreal
I made a air intake direct from the cockpit for the fridge compressor in the lazarete because it is coming hot with the engine running. I used 5 in hose.

Jun 25, 2013
Hunter 30 Montreal
Here is a home made deck organizer I"ve made with 1/8 in 316 stainless steel. I fold the top part and welded it to the base. I turned my pulleys in UHMW plastic on my wood lathe. Hunter put aluminium plate at this point ont the deck so I just tapered holes and used buthyl to seal the screws. In the same way, I made my own pulley on the base of the mast and had Spinlock and a winch on portside. Again, ther was aluminium plate under the fiberglasse so it was realley fast to install all of it. Realley plaisant to ajust the main sail now!

Jun 25, 2013
Hunter 30 Montreal
Hi,

I'm just trying to find a way to put again the pictures her, but for the moment, You could sand me an e-mail and I will be able to give you the access to my Google Drive so you could see all images I have taken since I bought the boat!

Thanks! Sebastien

letrusquin @ gmail.com