My 1980 Hunter 30 rennovation

Sep 3, 2012
Hunter 285 Grand Rivers Ky
I just love seeing old boats brought back to life. And you boat is wonderful. Good job!!

Jeff

Nov 14, 2010
Hunter 28.5 Madisonville
This is a beautiful job. I'd like to know how you removed the carpet glued to the inside of the hull in the forward cabin.

Jun 25, 2013
Hunter 30 Montreal
This is a beautiful job. I'd like to know how you removed the carpet glued to the inside of the hull in the forward cabin.
Hi jbuckhaults,

I used "Vice Grip" Tools to hold the fabric and working gloves on my hands to pull it. For all the carpet glued in the boat, we had to be 2 (my wife and me) people to get it removed by pulling it using Vice Grip.

I can tell you that the glue used is a nice quality one!

I used "Contact Glue" to glue the new carpet direcly on the old surface.

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2010
Hunter 28.5 Madisonville
Thanks for letting me know your technique. Have a second question.

How did you attach the wood strips to the hull? I see some plugs which must be covering countersunk screws. Did you epoxy some pieces directly to the hull to give you something to attach the strips to? How thick did you make these pieces?

Jun 25, 2013
Hunter 30 Montreal
Nov 14, 2010
Hunter 28.5 Madisonville
Thanks for the information. I looked at the other posts and now understand your method. I think everyone appreciates you taking the time to post all this helpful information and answering questions.

wmp3

Aug 15, 2015
Hunter 30 Dundalk, MD
Unbelievable work! Just bought a '83 H30. Structurally and mechanically sound but needs work. Your detailed documenation will really help. Thanks and happy sailing!

Jan 7, 2004
Hunter 31 Kingsville, Ontario, Canada
Fuligule
I have been working on sailboats for many years and I have to say - Your work is OUTSTANDING! I just went through all your posts and I am tired out just seeing all the work you have done!
Our present boat a Hunter 31 (1984) was a salvage boat we brought home the fall of 2003 and we launched and sailed since 2004 and I understand the hours you have invested...hopefully you are getting to sail that beautiful boat! :)
Your woodworking skills are incredible!
Keep up the excellent work and the continued posts, I am sorry to say posting stuff is not my forte!

Mike

PS - if you are ever travelling this way (West end of Lake Erie) let me know and I can help you!

wmp3

Aug 15, 2015
Hunter 30 Dundalk, MD
Companionway Cover

I really like the plexiglass companionway cover vice wood slats. Wheremdo
id you find the matrrial?
Thanks

51RD55

Jul 13, 2015
Hunter 31 Toronto
Sebastien, what a great documentation of your project. Our new to us this summer, Hunter 31, 1984 is not as neglected as the boat you so wonderfully resuscitated, but nevertheless does need improvement. I will look at all of your posts. Thanks for your generosity and consideration to share this, it is much appreciated.

Renat

Sep 9, 2015
Hunter 30 Delaware
Hi Sebastian! I really like what you have done. Your arch is very well designed - beautiful and practical. Could you provide dimensions or scheme? Or more photos? I would like to build a similar one on my Hunter 30 74-83. Regards, Renat

Jun 25, 2013
Hunter 30 Montreal
Hi everyone,

Sorry, I did'nt came back here since a long time. I did'nt receive any notifications by email so I did'nt know I got new answers on the thread...

I'll take some time in the weekend to response!

Thanks in advance,

Sebastien

Jun 25, 2013
Hunter 30 Montreal
Thanks for the information. I looked at the other posts and now understand your method. I think everyone appreciates you taking the time to post all this helpful information and answering questions.
wmp3 said:
Unbelievable work! Just bought a '83 H30. Structurally and mechanically sound but needs work. Your detailed documenation will really help. Thanks and happy sailing!
bearsails said:
Fuligule
I have been working on sailboats for many years and I have to say - Your work is OUTSTANDING! I just went through all your posts and I am tired out just seeing all the work you have done!
Our present boat a Hunter 31 (1984) was a salvage boat we brought home the fall of 2003 and we launched and sailed since 2004 and I understand the hours you have invested...hopefully you are getting to sail that beautiful boat! :)
Your woodworking skills are incredible!
Keep up the excellent work and the continued posts, I am sorry to say posting stuff is not my forte!

Mike

Thanks for you comments!

Sebastien

Jun 25, 2013
Hunter 30 Montreal
Companionway Cover

I really like the plexiglass companionway cover vice wood slats. Wheremdo
id you find the matrrial?
Thanks
Hi wmp3,
It's not Plexi, but Lexan 1/2 inches thick. I found this stuff here:

http://www.plastiquesforget.com/en/

You can take a look at the web site, because I really don't know what could be the translation in english for this type of buisness (plastic products manufacturer?).

I cut it on my table saw with a finishing blade and sanded corners with 320 grit sandpaper. It really make the cabin clear when it is closed (during low temperature nights).

Sebastien

Jun 25, 2013
Hunter 30 Montreal
Sebastien, what a great documentation of your project. Our new to us this summer, Hunter 31, 1984 is not as neglected as the boat you so wonderfully resuscitated, but nevertheless does need improvement. I will look at all of your posts. Thanks for your generosity and consideration to share this, it is much appreciated.
I'am glad to see this post can be used by others! Thanks for the response!

Jun 25, 2013
Hunter 30 Montreal
Hi Sebastian! I really like what you have done. Your arch is very well designed - beautiful and practical. Could you provide dimensions or scheme? Or more photos? I would like to build a similar one on my Hunter 30 74-83. Regards, Renat
Hi Renat,
Here are a public album of all the pictures I got for my arche (66 pictures, 3 pages):

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Low_S/library/Fuligule/arche?sort=3&page=1

I could send you the original (not resized) by e-mail if you want. Let me know.
I could get dimensions next spring when I get to the boat. Should be around mid of march.
I must tell you I'm not a welder... so please no comments on my weldings!

Sebastien