Music to calm the savage beast you

Nov 30, 2015
Hunter 1978 H30 Cherubini, Treman Marina, Ithaca, NY
We haul a lot of new sailing folks, potential crew, never been on a sailboat kinda folks for a weekend day sail. Sometimes the winds are calm, others not so much. I do the best I can keeeping the Hunter level and scare free. But occasionally the freak out to the newbies arrives.

We always have music playing, Wireless, relocatable, Bluetooth speakers, loud and clear, and placed anywhere on the boat I want. So my big question is simply this...What is the calming music you might play on your ship to create that magical "All is well" sensation and then wink to those that think we're going over.

I like James Taylor with Carole King, the Admiral likes smooth Jazz.

What say you all?

JRacer

Aug 9, 2011
Beneteau 310 Cheney KS (Wichita)
Wagner.

Anything by Bob Marley. Lightfoot, Willie and Waylon. Danny Wright.

Jun 10, 2017
Catalina 1980 Catalina 30 Mk II John's Pass / Tampa Bay
BMA,

I have IPOD & Satellite radio.
I try to contour the music based on my guests. My IPOD has these playlists,
Boat Mix, Classical, Frank-n-friends (Sinatra & others)
Hank-n friends (Country), Celtic Plus, Doo-Wop, Elvis-n-Friends,
Jazz (both smooth & classic), Rock, Italian & On the Go.

In this way, I can usually satisfy everyone' taste. And if that doesn't work,
there's always my Sat radio.

Jun 10, 2017
Catalina 1980 Catalina 30 Mk II John's Pass / Tampa Bay
On a side note,
The original quote was, "Musick has Charms to soothe a savage Breast,"
incorrectly attributed to Shakespeare.

It was in fact William Congreve (24 January 1670 – 19 January 1729) was an English playwright and poet of the Restoration period. He is known for his clever, satirical dialogue and influence on the comedy of manners style of that period. He was also a minor political figure in the British Whig Party.
( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Congreve )

Back then, the church thought "breast" was sexual in tone so over time, it changed to "beast."
Congreve was referring to the heart behind the breast plate.

Just alittle trivia fact to impress your friends with.

Nov 8, 2007
Hunter 27_75-84 Sandusky Harbor Marina, Ohio
Please consider other boats when deciding where to play your music.

At the dock, and even more at a mooring, or anchorage with other boats around you, your neighbors may be there to enjoy the peace and quiet of nature. If they do want music, your choice will seldom be theirs. The only way to avoid infringing on their pleasure in these circumstances is to play music at moderate volume inside your cabin.

Underway in wind and waves, sound will dissipate more quickly with distance. If you are truly alone on the water, then loud in the cockpit will only impact wildlife ashore.

Finally, peace and quiet is the only appropriate consideration for others after 10 at night.

Nov 30, 2015
Hunter 1978 H30 Cherubini, Treman Marina, Ithaca, NY

At the dock, and even more at a mooring, or anchorage with other boats around you, your neighbors may be there to enjoy the peace and quiet of nature. If they do want music, your choice will seldom be theirs. The only way to avoid infringing on their pleasure in these circumstances is to play music at moderate volume inside your cabin.

Underway in wind and waves, sound will dissipate more quickly with distance. If you are truly alone on the water, then loud in the cockpit will only impact wildlife ashore.

Finally, peace and quiet is the only appropriate consideration for others after 10 at night.
Yep, I agree 100%. Neighbors are always considered with respect to volume and music selections.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay

These considerations should also apply to the barking dogs, children screaming about the marina, and nosiy generators. Last week in Prideaux Haven, a beautiful, pristine venue of British Columbia, I suffered the distinct disadvantage of having a powerboater dickhead anchored barely 200 ft from me running his GENERATOR all day and most of the night.
Also at night this guy had on his underwater lights with an LED anchor light so bright it interfered with my enjoyment of the night sky. [The mast light of a smallish powerboat is functionally at eye level when viewed from a nearby boat.)

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
I was sent to Singapore by my company to do a satellite install. The first (of 11 ships I did) was a 2800 passenger super cruiser. As I boarded the ship, the piano in the main lobby was playing the Titanic theme. Great, off to a good start!