Registered users don't see ads

Moving to Larger Boat

Discussion in 'Catalina 22' started by w4swk, Jul 9, 2018 at 7:43 PM. Add this thread to a FAQ

1. w4swk

w4swk

Joined Mar 23, 2015
    74 posts, 8 likes
    1991 Catalina 22 Wing Keel
    US Nocona
    Hi BE
    I guess I should have pointed out that the allowance of "renting" the boat was offered at the time we took our first classes. Maybe it's an option only offered to students of their school but this is just a guess. Nonetheless, a phone conversation with Captain Laurie will provide you with a ton of information that is not detailed on the website. I don't mean to sound like an advertisement, but the Folks at Stem to Stern are extremely flexible and accommodating. When we went for our first ASA classes, the weather was kinda dicey and they made it very clear that the classes could be extended or rescheduled at our convenience.(We chose to sail in foul weather for the experience). Basically, they hide nothing and have no hidden surprises.

* I am not or have ever been an employee of S to S and receive no compensation for saying all these things! LOLOLOLOLOL (I always wanted to say that!)

Dang! Just realized I am hijacking my own thread, but if we can't have a little fun....:clap:

2. BigEasy

BigEasy

Joined Jun 21, 2004
    876 posts, 166 likes
    Beneteau 343
    US Slidell, LA
    Ken, no need for the disclaimer! Nothing wrong with recommending an outfit that provides good service. I have never sailed around Panama City. I have sailed the Pensacola area and Alabama coast quite a bit. Was a member of Pensacola Yacht Charter’s charter club for 6 years. They closed the big boat operation a few years ago; however, they still do ASA lessons and rent out smaller boats... Catalina 22 & 25’s. Great people to deal with and they run a tight ship. Good luck with ASA 104 trip and the hunt for a new boat!

3. SVMOONDANCE

SVMOONDANCE

Joined Aug 31, 2017
    51 posts, 23 likes
    Catalina Catalina 22
    US Tampa
    If you plan on cruising the coast of Florida and the Caribbean I would suggest a shoal draft. Although not the fastest but a solid boat with a HUGE following and having their factory in Largo Fl I would look into Island Packet. Really solid boats and lots on the market. Great interior layouts, twin head sails the list goes on. Less of a chance of finding a crappy one than a good one. Tartans and C&Cs are also great boats worth looking at though they aren’t shoal drafts. Good luck and happy sailing!

4. w4swk

w4swk

Joined Mar 23, 2015
    74 posts, 8 likes
    1991 Catalina 22 Wing Keel
    US Nocona
    Thanks for the very positive reply! We have been researching a lot of boats and draft seems to surface (no pun intended) close to the top of the list. Island Packet is one we have looked at and it is in the top 3 or 4. I am beginning to like a full keel boat (actually, it is now a requirement). I know that they can be slow, but if I was in a hurry I would just fly one of our planes there! In my research, I keep being drawn the Pacific Seacraft 27. A bit smaller than we were looking for but they have a great layout and can carry a fair amount of supplies.

Comments (on topic and positive):)are always welcome!

Thanks
    Ken

5. Calif. Ted

Calif. Ted

Joined Jun 8, 2004
    2,108 posts, 130 likes
    Catalina 320
    US Dana Point
    You may be interested in the Compac 35, shoal draft Scheel keel, build quality appeared very good, and they seem well priced on the used market. They are made in Florida, they only ever shipped one out here to the West Coast for boat shows I think.
    Here's a link to the boat I was on, I liked everything EXCEPT the shoal keel.

Ready-made sheets and halyards
Now faster than ever, our calculator tells you what sizes you need.
NEW, updated Get Rid of Boat Odors
The bible of marine toilets and plumbing, expanded and updated for 2016!
Gray ports and parts
The most popular port on boats built from the 70s into the 90s.
Leaky Lewmar ports?
Start by replacing lens gaskets in stock now