Moving to Larger Boat

w4swk

Mar 23, 2015
1991 Catalina 22 Wing Keel 15202 Nocona
Ken,
I checked out Stem to Stern's website. Apparently, they only allow "captained" charters, where they allow you to charter the boat with one of their captains aboard. Nice for a day sail; however, you and the admiral really need to bareboat charter to gain experience after you get your ASA 104 certification. Big difference when you have a captain on board who is calling all the shots and probably docking the boat vs a bareboat charter where you have to make all the decisions and execute. In the beginning its more stressful to bare boat charter, but after you spend more time on a boat under your command your comfort level grows as you gain more experience. If you have interest purchasing a similar model boat, a weekend aboard the bare boat charter will give you ample time and opportunity to get a feel for how it sails, motors, and how to operate most of the onboard systems. Very good experience before buying. I am not advocating that you use Emerald Coast Sailing in Pensacola for chartering; however, you guys obviously like sailing on the Gulf Coast and ECSailing has 33 to 41 foot boats that can be either bare boat chartered or chartered with a captain. Check out their website. Rick & Peggy are very nice people to deal with also; they have been doing this for a long time.
Hi BE
I guess I should have pointed out that the allowance of "renting" the boat was offered at the time we took our first classes. Maybe it's an option only offered to students of their school but this is just a guess. Nonetheless, a phone conversation with Captain Laurie will provide you with a ton of information that is not detailed on the website. I don't mean to sound like an advertisement, but the Folks at Stem to Stern are extremely flexible and accommodating. When we went for our first ASA classes, the weather was kinda dicey and they made it very clear that the classes could be extended or rescheduled at our convenience.(We chose to sail in foul weather for the experience). Basically, they hide nothing and have no hidden surprises.

* I am not or have ever been an employee of S to S and receive no compensation for saying all these things! LOLOLOLOLOL (I always wanted to say that!)

Dang! Just realized I am hijacking my own thread, but if we can't have a little fun....:clap:

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Ken, no need for the disclaimer! Nothing wrong with recommending an outfit that provides good service. I have never sailed around Panama City. I have sailed the Pensacola area and Alabama coast quite a bit. Was a member of Pensacola Yacht Charter’s charter club for 6 years. They closed the big boat operation a few years ago; however, they still do ASA lessons and rent out smaller boats... Catalina 22 & 25’s. Great people to deal with and they run a tight ship. Good luck with ASA 104 trip and the hunt for a new boat!

Aug 31, 2017
Catalina Catalina 22 Tampa
If you plan on cruising the coast of Florida and the Caribbean I would suggest a shoal draft. Although not the fastest but a solid boat with a HUGE following and having their factory in Largo Fl I would look into Island Packet. Really solid boats and lots on the market. Great interior layouts, twin head sails the list goes on. Less of a chance of finding a crappy one than a good one. Tartans and C&Cs are also great boats worth looking at though they aren’t shoal drafts. Good luck and happy sailing!

w4swk

Mar 23, 2015
If you plan on cruising the coast of Florida and the Caribbean I would suggest a shoal draft. Although not the fastest but a solid boat with a HUGE following and having their factory in Largo Fl I would look into Island Packet. Really solid boats and lots on the market. Great interior layouts, twin head sails the list goes on. Less of a chance of finding a crappy one than a good one. Tartans and C&Cs are also great boats worth looking at though they aren’t shoal drafts. Good luck and happy sailing!
Thanks for the very positive reply! We have been researching a lot of boats and draft seems to surface (no pun intended) close to the top of the list. Island Packet is one we have looked at and it is in the top 3 or 4. I am beginning to like a full keel boat (actually, it is now a requirement). I know that they can be slow, but if I was in a hurry I would just fly one of our planes there! In my research, I keep being drawn the Pacific Seacraft 27. A bit smaller than we were looking for but they have a great layout and can carry a fair amount of supplies.

Comments (on topic and positive):)are always welcome!

Thanks
Ken

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
You may be interested in the Compac 35, shoal draft Scheel keel, build quality appeared very good, and they seem well priced on the used market. They are made in Florida, they only ever shipped one out here to the West Coast for boat shows I think.
Here's a link to the boat I was on, I liked everything EXCEPT the shoal keel.

w4swk

Mar 23, 2015
Last week, we spent a long weekend looking at a few boats on the coast...what an eye opener! Over the last 40 or so years, I have purchased a ton of used cars, boats, RV's, etc., but this was an experience! I know that pictures never tell the entire truth, but some of the boats we looked at made us question whether we were looking at the same boat as advertised! We heard comments (excuses) that ranged from "Well, she sure has been good to us" to "I don't really do much upkeep...I just take care of the essentials!".

The search continues and obviously we are moving forward with eyes wide (wider) open!

Ken

P.S. After looking this weekend, I have decided that if I ever sell my '22, I will start the asking price at about 75K!!! LOLOLOLOLOLOL