Moving to Florida, where to park with mast up?

Perew

Oct 26, 2011
MacGregor 26X Cherry Creek Resevoir
We currently live in Colorado, and are moored at the marina, on the trailer. We can take it to the ramp without lowering the mast to park, or go sailing. I'm looking for the same situation on the Gulf Coast. So far the internet marina search has come up dry! We will be living in a Camper, so can live near the marina, wherever it is on the Florida coast.
Where is this type of sailing/parking facility? There has to be one somewhere, with access to the bay.
Thanks!
Pere

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
They are everywhere. I can think of 6 just within driving distance of me. My neighbor stores and launches with his mast up at Sarasota Sailing Squadron although the marina managers are smart enough to not let owners do the launch unsupervised.

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
Our club is the only one around here that I have ever found I can't think of any others in Pensacola or Panama City either. The marina at Hammock Bay over near Freeport may.

Telling us where in Florida might help unless you are that wide open then there are a couple of places in Mobile Bay too..

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
Try The Moorings at Carrabelle if you're into tiny little out-of-the-way places. Gorgeous sailing all the way from there west to the Alabama line and beyond. Also Pensacola Shipyard Marina might be a possibility if I recall correctly.

There's nothing from Carrabelle down to at least Weeki Wachee (yes that's really a place, there are mermaids there). ;)

Perew

Oct 26, 2011
MacGregor 26X Cherry Creek Resevoir
We currently live in Colorado, and are moored at the marina, on the trailer. We can take it to the ramp without lowering the mast to park, or go sailing. I'm looking for the same situation on the Gulf Coast. So far the internet marina search has come up dry! We will be living in a Camper, so can live near the marina, wherever it is on the Florida coast.
Where is this type of sailing/parking facility? There has to be one somewhere, with access to the bay.
Thanks!
Pere
Super! That is encouraging in case the Mac Doesn't sell here. If not, we'll take Sea Horse with us, live in the camper and trailer sail.
Thanks for the input!

Sep 10, 2012
Hunter 450 Gulfport, Florida
There are indeed lots of places where you can store mast up, some are low brow yacht clubs and a number of yards that have dry storage. I used to sail Chatfield a lot and determining if you want to sell or keep depends on how much you love the boat. You will sell faster and get a better price selling it there due to the equivalent rarity of sailboats there. You could get a another Macgregor here a whole lot cheaper as they are plentiful, saturation level. I have a 25 foot Dehler that I have thought about taking back to CO to sell for the very reasons I listed.

Aug 7, 2011
MacGregor 26S Lakeland, FL
Where in Florida are you planning to come to? That can matter...

Jun 10, 2012
Hunter 23.5 Indian Lake
We are moving to Cape Coral as soon as we sell our house up here and would love to find somewhere in the Cape area where we can keep our 23.5 mast up and on the trailer. Easy access to Charlotte Harbor is our goal.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
Try Burnt Store Marina and have seen a few boats on trailers and they have a ramp and best outlet to sail in Harbor and not far from Cape Coral on Burnt Store red.
I did keep my H-36 there years ago and easy out to harbor nice marina and best outlet to sail in Harbor and them out.
Nick

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
If you keep the Hunter and it doesn't draw much draft I'd be looking for a private dock that someone isn't using. I've know of a few people that have gone that route and it has been cheaper for them than a marina. Some home owners rent their docks out for extra income and if the waterway into theirs is shallower they won't get as much for one.

You would have to find one in the Punta Gorda/Port Charlotte area to have good access to Charlotte Harbor, which are both somewhat of a drive from Cape Coral (40-45 minutes each way). Have you considered a house in that area? Charlotte Harbor and easy access to it would give you the best sailing in that area. Cape Coral to Charlotte Harbor via the water is not a quick trip and would entail an overnight to get there and back on the ICW mostly motoring.

Sumner
===========================================================================
1300 miles to The Bahamas and Back in the Mac...
Endeavour 37 Mods...
MacGregor 26-S Mods...
Mac Trips to Utah, Idaho, Wyoming, Canada, Florida, Bahamas

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
What Sumer said very true and that is what I do and a few friends do the same,but unless
you know people in the area maybe harder to find.
Yes many older people who have stopped boating look for extra $$$$ for sure,I even know some one who went door to door asking if they are interested in renting or the local paper has advertising for dock rental,but you will need bottom paint and a diver every 6 or so weeks.
When you come down check out Punta Gorda Sailing Club web site and come to a meeting,new people as guest always welcome and lots of great helpful info from members.
Nick