Moving from JAM to Spin fleet

Jul 5, 2005
Beneteau 361 Sandusky Harbor Marina
that sounds like a great idea, Joe, thanks so much for that. I'll talk to the crew about it. :)

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Data point.. we had two new to PHRF 1 (spin) boats race last night. Both are First 235s with new or newish crews, and both had one day of coached spin practice. They sailed close to each other all race (5 W/L legs) one flew spin for one DW leg, the other did not (it was sorta breezy). Did not go perfect but they got real-word experience and got scored in the race. Good times!

Now that being said, would it have been better for the to start, retire, and then go practice a series of set gibe gibe gibe douse set gibe gibe gibe douse etc etc for the entire time, and score one point more? Skipper's call!

Jun 29, 2010
Beneteau First 235 Lake Minnetonka, MN
Data point.. we had two new to PHRF 1 (spin) boats race last night. Both are First 235s with new or newish crews, and both had one day of coached spin practice. They sailed close to each other all race (5 W/L legs) one flew spin for one DW leg, the other did not (it was sorta breezy). Did not go perfect but they got real-word experience and got scored in the race. Good times!

Now that being said, would it have been better for the to start, retire, and then go practice a series of set gibe gibe gibe douse set gibe gibe gibe douse etc etc for the entire time, and score one point more? Skipper's call!
Nope, it was not perfect but, we learned a ton doing it in those conditions. We figured stuff out on the fly and dealt with each situation that came up. We doused early due to the breeze getting us a bit wonky but, we did it. Next time will be better, and the next..... Crew is pumped to keep going, even with our rookie issues, we all were smiling broadly on they way back to the docks. We debriefed as well, talked through everything. So, now we know a bit better.

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
encouraging you to move up is great. jam is there to encourage you to try racing, great. starting while in close proximity to others, going around the buoys, training for captain and crew. all good.
so you want to fly a spinnaker. i love flying spinnakers, yet rarely race. spinnaker sailing is a hoot. most sailors do not cause they don't know how. most beer can racers are weak at this skill from what i see. oh they try, yet they lack the practice. you will not gain much experience from your racing only approach this summer. the driver is the key to it all. right. the fore deck will fumble allot. the rope tenders will be slow.
i come from a very different background in sailing then most here. i was highly trained. i was trained to teach others and have done so. 59 yrs of sailing/well over 1,000,000 mi at sea from 1,000 footers to 10 footers.
so, here is what i say to you. take crew out and get the spinnaker up on a reach, then jibe, then reach. then jibe, then reach, .................. in a two mile stretch jibe twenty times, thirty would be better. that's right, back and forth over and over and over ....................
it will take about an hour. you will not get this training by just sailing the course once a week. ever!
you will then leap past most on the "big boy" crowd cause they did not do this either. most racers are shy of the jibe cause they are not practiced.

i am not a "racer', i am not a "cruiser", i am a "sailor". i have not raced much in my life yet have trophies on my mantle. the few times i showed up with my classic alden i was ignored by the "racers". foolish them. the biggest skill on the race course is knowing where the wind is. few can have a simple conversation of wind, and understanding what to expect and i am very good at it. then i can exploit my awareness by changing sails quickly. not one boat from the local "racing group" has ever beat me on my old classic. hey hey hey .........
i have an Ascow as well. do not race, however, it will show a lack of skill quickly without a keel to keep you up.

so, take the time. an hour or two. practice, practice, practice, ................ it gets the crew working together so the driver can watch the wind. then start passing the un-practiced boats.
But most of all have FUN

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
now, go buy a copy of frank bethwaite's "high performance sailing". read it twenty times or more. then start winning. it will greatly improve your cruising fun as well!

Jul 5, 2005
Beneteau 361 Sandusky Harbor Marina
Thanks so much Jon! I'll work hard to convince the rest of the crew to do as you suggest. :)