Moved my boat to the lake

Nov 13, 2011
Oday 23 New River Az
I moved my boat to the lake and rigged it today. Rented a spot in the sailboat dry storage. I can leave the mast up now. I am going to try it for a year and see if I use it more often. If not I will put it up for sale.

Attachments

Apr 26, 2015
S2 26 Mid On Trailer
That's funny. I live at Havasu with the same boat and just pulled it out and moved it to the house. I can stand the heat here, but not the 105 decibel power boats.

Nov 13, 2011
Oday 23 New River Az
During the warm months here weekday sailing is best. Otherwise I used to head out an hour before sunset, sail to a quiet cove and drop the hook for the night. I have no desire to be around the power boats on the weekends.

Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
You'd use it even more if you kept it in the water, ready to go.

The marina at our lake has a 24' maximum boat length. There's a couple with a Catalina 250 who dry sails it. They're out pretty often. I guess they got the launch/retrieve down pretty quick. Being able to leave the boat rigged is significant too. All depends what you want to do.

Marina's been open since 4/1, but my boat is still tarped behind the garage. My motivation levels are pretty low, because I know I can drag the little Force 5 over and throw on my drysuit whenever I want. Come May, I'll be able to without the drysuit, which is welcome.

Nov 13, 2011
Oday 23 New River Az
Had it out on the water and did an overnight with my son. He really enjoyed it.
Had several problems, mostly due to lack of use, but also lack of remembering.
Jib halyard frayed at the wire to rope splice and hung up. I ran the jib sheets under the lifelines, oops. A handful of my cam cleats no longer grip.
Also my center board won't drop, and the line is frayed.
A little maintenance and a few spare parts and it should become a little easier.

Attachments

Apr 26, 2015
S2 26 Mid On Trailer
Centerboard stuck is a pain. If you still have the original setup try a rifle cleaning rod (or similar size) down the CB halyard hole to push it down. It takes 4 rods so I had to buy 2 kits. I used this method for 6 months, then did a proper repair.

Can you shoot a picture of your main sheet setup? It looks different from my '78. What year is your boat?

Son looks like he is enjoying it.

Nov 13, 2011
Oday 23 New River Az
Yes, Lake Pleasant. I live just off Carefree Hwy and 7th St, so it is just a hop, skip and jump to get there.
I have used the rod method before with success, but don't remember what I used, probably a piece of steel out of my rem rack (own a fab shop). Seems to me that after frequent use it freed up and I no longer needed to push it. As I recall the CB is slightly warped. The glass inside the cavity is also pooched out away from the walls causing slight drag.
At one point I drilled some holes through the glass and drained the water that was in there out. I put a vacuum pump on it an got it nice and dry, then sealed the holes. I really should pull the CB and inject some epoxy, the put and air bag in the cavity to solve the problem. Then grind the board straight and reglass it.

The biggest difficulty I am having right now is that I enjoyed it. I like tinkering with the boat. I like sailing it. I don't sleep well on it, but I don't sleep well anywhere else either. I just don't have time to use it. My next available weekend is in mid may, then again in July. My oldest kid is in college, my youngest is in 6th grade, so I put in huge hours to afford them. My wife also puts in 10-12 hour days regularly and often has to work some on the weekends, so weekends are at a premium.

I don't have a lot of buy in from my wife ever since we started chartering big boats for vacations. She wants to actually sail, in actual wind, and I don't blame her. I am much happier on a 35-40' boat in the tropics. I have thought about buying a bigger boat, which I can afford, just can't afford the monthly slip fees in San Diego or LA. Plus that puts a whole new need to get over there once a month or more.

Oh well, my boy enjoyed himself, the boat looks good (freshly polished), got to spend some time with him, and relaxed a little.
Easter is next weekend, then the following I have to haul some equipment up to my place in the mountains, supposed to break ground on my cabin this year.. maybe I'll try to get out for an afternoon sail in the next couple of weeks.

Jul 13, 2010
Precision 23 Perry Hall,Baltimore County
You will use it more often. When I did that went from 8 rides first summer to 20 something now. Easier for spur of the moment after work dinner runs common although big help is only live 15-20 minutes from the marina.