mounting surface for masthead anchor light?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 12, 2010
Catalina 22 Columbus OH
I am preparing to wire my mast (no existing wiring is in place) and install a masthead anchor light and a mid-mast steaming light -- both are Series 25 lights from Aqua Signal.

I have purchased the mounting bracket for the steaming light, but I cannot find (on catalinadirect, defender, et al) a similar mounting surface to use for the masthead anchor light. Searching the forums has not produced an answer, either. :redface: It doesn't seem like a good idea (does it??) to mount it directly in the top of the mast because of the halyard sheaves and topping lift and variety of other things already going on up there.

Could you please provide some guidance and/or photos or diagrams on how your masthead light is installed and affixed at the tippy-top of the mast?

Thanks,
Christy ~ "Central Air" ~ Columbus OH

Nov 19, 2008
Catalina C-22 MK-II Parrish, FL
Masthead Light

For what it's worth, I removed our masthead light. :eek: Basically, not required on our boat,(< 23'), unless you anchor in a navigateable,(is that a word? :redface: ) channel, and I don't plan on anchoring overnight in a channel anyway. So, I made an epoxy composite mount that centers my antenna on the top of the mast, and installed one of those bigger Windex's that pivots on the antenna.

I know, I know, :naughty: I'm a terrible irresponsible person for removing my masthead light, (but at least I'm not sailing to the Bahama's with little children onboard :D )

Not to worry, I still have my steaming and deck lights. :dance:

I'll be dropping the mast in a couple weeks and I'll try to remember to take some photos.

Don

Dec 11, 2010
MacGregor 26x Hayden AL
I'm thinking of adding one to mine. So far, my idea is to mount a swivel stern type on the side of the mast a couple of inches from the top and swivel it 90 degrees straight up. I bought the light, just haven't looked at it real close yet.

Nov 7, 2012
1978 Catalina 30 Wilbur-by-the-Sea
Catalina Direct. Very simple..
Nice setup.

On the first photo, at the base of the light fixture did you put any loom over the wire to protect it from chafe where it goes over the lip? It looks a bit snug at the radius.

Jul 12, 2010
Catalina 22 Columbus OH
Oy! I thought I had scoured CD quite well (the Electrical category, primarily) and didn't see that. I'm on it! (And soon, it will be on my mast!)

Thanks,
Christy

Mar 31, 2012
Catalina 22 Big Lake, Alaska
Where did you guys find that spacer that allows you to mount the weather vane on the light? I just ordered a new windex and it didn't come with that piece.

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
unless you anchor in a navigateable,(is that a word? :redface: )

Don
Well of course it is! straight out of your special dictionary.... some of us are still use the boring, old fashioned word "Navigable"....:D

Feb 20, 2013
catalina 22 Georgetown
i was looking at that too i was wondering about having the anchor light, wind vane and a VHF antenna any one have a set up for that? or better yet pics

Status
Not open for further replies.