Mounting Mack Pack Bail to Boom

Jul 12, 2011
Leopard 40 Jupiter, Florida
I'm planning to install a Mack Pack bail to the end of my Catalina 36 boom to provide some end support and a place to mount a zipper-pull block for an integrated lazy jack / main cover. I would like some advice on how to mount this to the aluminum boom approximately 3/16 thick.
Boom end with bag installed.jpg Bail.jpg
The bail is 18-inches tall, and has two 3/8" mounting bolt holes per side on the bottom about 4-inches across. I do not expect much stress on the bail, only the pulling of the zipper, but considering that there is almost 5-to-1 leverage, I want it mounted securely. Based on other posts and dockside advice, threading the aluminum boom is asking for trouble as there are not enough threads. I am thinking about using aluminum blind nuts (rivnuts) to give more threads. I'd use 3/8" stainless bolts dipped in Tef-Gel to prevent galvanic action (which is actually minimum here as we're in fresh). Thoughts?

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I mounted the same bail on my O’Day 322 boom using the supplied screws. Drilled and tapped the holes in the boom. Been in service for 4 years and no issues.

As you said, not much stress on the bail and with the 2 legs on each side of the boom, it is pretty beefy.

Greg