mounting height for a whisker pole mast eye

Jun 9, 2016
catalina 22 Spring City, tn
I have an '88 wing keel. I recently bought a whisker pole, and am getting ready to mount the eye on the mast. I have only had one prior experience with a pole on a '22, and this boat had two options, one a few feet off the deck and the other a foot or so (probably less). To be honest, I don't recall exactly. Also that boat was much older, thought I don't know if that has any impact. Given that the old "measure twice, cut once" rule goes to the power of 10 when it comes to putting holes in the mast, I thought I'd ask what others' thoughts are on the subject.
I believe the idea is for the pole to be as near to horizontal as possible when in use?

Jun 29, 2010
Beneteau First 235 Lake Minnetonka, MN
The pole works best when flat so you need to find the spot on the mast that will have the pole level(ish) when on the clew of your head sail.

Jul 26, 2009
. . .
Have you considered installing a track on the mast instead of trying to determine a single fixed point? It's also a convenient storage spot for the pole when not in use (provided the track is of sufficient length).

Jun 9, 2016
Have you considered installing a track on the mast instead of trying to determine a single fixed point? It's also a convenient storage spot for the pole when not in use (provided the track is of sufficient length).
Yes I have. The track is quite expensive and I doubt a spinnaker is in my near future. CD's is 48" so another eye is still required for storage. I almost bought the track just so I don't suffer drller's remorse.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
A track is TOTAL overkill for a whisker pole on a Catalina 22. Pull out your headsail and attach the pole to the clew. With the pole level bring the other end to the mast. Mark and mount there. Sorted. Plus or minus 6 inches and you'll be fine.

Jun 9, 2016
I also have lifelines. How far aft can you expect the pole to travel in normal use? I am guessing about 45 degrees off the bow?

Nov 8, 2010
I also have lifelines. How far aft can you expect the pole to travel in normal use? I am guessing about 45 degrees off the bow?
Well no matter what, mount it about the level of your lifeline. But 99% chance that is where the clew of your headsail will be anyway. The only chance that will not be true is if you have a deck sweeping genoa, but that is very unlikely as that is more a racing sail designed to be only used upwind. Due to clew position these sails work very poorly off the wind and are designed to be used on boats that use spinnakers downwind.

What angle the pole runs to depends on the size of your genoa. With a big one (150%) you might see 90 degrees to the bow. Smaller sail, smaller angle.

Jun 9, 2016
Mine is 33" off the deck.
wow, nearly 3 feet above the base of the mast seems high. But I think one of the eyes on the boat I raced on was about that high. We only flew a genoa, and the captain preferred using the lower eye. I would think the higher one would be best for the 110. Do you use the pole for both type of sails?

Nov 8, 2010
wow, nearly 3 feet above the base of the mast seems high. But I think one of the eyes on the boat I raced on was about that high. We only flew a genoa, and the captain preferred using the lower eye. I would think the higher one would be best for the 110. Do you use the pole for both type of sails?
It all depends on where you're clew is. Different cuts of sails have different heights clews. You're going to have to measure it

bushav

Aug 18, 2015
Catalina 22 Panama City, FL
My whisker pole is positioned aft of the forward shrouds when properly tensioned. It's the West Marine pole. Works great except the plastic ends will release on their own if the are inverted under pressure. Wish I could find some aluminum ends.

Nov 19, 2008
Catalina C-22 MK-II Parrish, FL
My whisker pole is positioned aft of the forward shrouds when properly tensioned. It's the West Marine pole. Works great except the plastic ends will release on their own if the are inverted under pressure. Wish I could find some aluminum ends.
So you have the whisker pole set between the upper stay and the forward lower stay?

Don

Jun 9, 2016
I had difficulties installing the eye. I drilled with the supplied bit, but the pan head screws are VERY tight, which is good I am sure. However getting them seated was another matter. One went most of the way in, then stripped. Another, the head snapped right off once about 2/3 in. So now I have an eye that feels tight, with one screw all the way in, one most of the way in and the head stripped so I'll have to use vice grips to back it out, and another that I won't be able to get out until I get the others off. I didn't want to use the eye since it wasn't seated right, so I rigged one with a 10 foot piece of 1/4 inch line and a caribiner, lashed to a cleat on the starboard side just below where I mounted the eye. It worked just fine, but wind was only about 5 knots so not much of a test.

Nov 8, 2010
I had difficulties installing the eye. I drilled with the supplied bit, but the pan head screws are VERY tight, which is good I am sure. However getting them seated was another matter. One went most of the way in, then stripped. Another, the head snapped right off once about 2/3 in. So now I have an eye that feels tight, with one screw all the way in, one most of the way in and the head stripped so I'll have to use vice grips to back it out, and another that I won't be able to get out until I get the others off. I didn't want to use the eye since it wasn't seated right, so I rigged one with a 10 foot piece of 1/4 inch line and a caribiner, lashed to a cleat on the starboard side just below where I mounted the eye. It worked just fine, but wind was only about 5 knots so not much of a test.
You need to tap the hole for the screws. The drill just makes a hole. The tap cuts the threading for the screw.

KJH

Jan 28, 2009
Catalina 1983 22 Waukegan Harbor
Interesting reading! I'm thinking about purchasing the CD heavy duty pole for my 83 C22. I have a 135 Genoa on a roller furler and am concerned about deploying the pole. UTUBE shows attaching the WP to the sheet prior to any rolling out the Genoa. If the WP is going to be positioned between upper center shroud and lower forward shroud is attachment to sheet made prior to or after the Genoa has been rolled out? Any issue with WP banging into shrouds?
As always, thanks for your expertise.
Ken