Mounting a wind vane & mast float on 146

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 26, 2010
Hunter 15 Fremantle, Western Australia
I noticed some photos posted on this forum showing some owners (146/170) that have a mast float and a windex type wind vane (mounted off a bracket extending backwards from the mast).

If anyone who has done this mod, would you please tell me if it was successful and how you did it?

Always appreciate the advice of current owners.

Cheers from Australia:)

Jul 8, 2004
Hunter 146 Aztec, NM
I don't have a mast float installed on mine and I just riveted the wind vane to the mast cap. I did install some of the noodles in the mast that to help the bouyance. I think Hunter modified the mast cap starting in 2004 and eliminted the hole that was causing the mast to fill with water in the event of a knock down.

Jul 10, 2009
Hunter 170 lake Manitoba
I noticed some photos posted on this forum showing some owners (146/170) that have a mast float and a windex type wind vane (mounted off a bracket extending backwards from the mast).

If anyone who has done this mod, would you please tell me if it was successful and how you did it?

Always appreciate the advice of current owners.

Cheers from Australia:)
Forget the stuffing-of-the-noodles business or buying expensive and ugly looking external floats. The simplest and the most effective way to seal your mast is to take the halyard/mast pulley-block off and fill the top of your mast ( just few inches below the top edge) with some insulating foam. Its the spray-in-the-can type you can buy at any home improvement store. Let the foam expand and harden, effectively filling the mast cavity. Make sure that no gaps are vissible in the foam surface, trim off the excess and re-install the pulley block. To re-attach the block you can use rivets or galvanized sheet metal screws - either works well.

This took me 1/2 hour to do, it's 100% effective and it prevents
mast-flooding and the subsequent turtling over of the boat. I tested it more than once - and not on purpose. The whole solution works like a dream and more importantly you still have room at the top of your mast to install a wind vane.

As for the vane its self, I used a cheap Windex unit (made by Davis ) and installed it on the side of the mast so it doesn't interfere with the halyard.
Vane came with two small sheet-metal screws. Drill two small pilot holes and mount the base of the vane using supplied screw - and you're done.

Sailing doesn't have to be difficult, often simplest solutions are the best.

Cheers.

JerryA

Oct 17, 2004
Tanzer 29 Jeanneau Design Sandusky Bay, Lake Erie
I too did the insulating foam in the top of the mast, and it work fine. Also tested, and not in a controlled environment. :) On a small boat, I kind of think the windex that clips onto the shrouds is neat idea.

JerryA

Feb 26, 2010
Good advice guys! I think I will put up a 'for sale' sign for the masthead float at one of the clubs here in Perth that has a large Hobie fleet. - On a slight tangent- what, do you think, is the most common reason for laying one of these boats down? - Mainsheet in cam cleat when a strong gust hits?
HD

JerryA

Oct 17, 2004
Tanzer 29 Jeanneau Design Sandusky Bay, Lake Erie
I got knocked down by a strong gust. The wind was blowing decent already and I should have rolled up the jib. You really don't know how far you can go until you get there.

JerryA

Feb 26, 2010
I just re-read all the owners reviews of the 146 on this site. Some say the boat is stable and others say its very unstable. I guess it all come down to what you expect from a small boat with no ballast. Any boat that is over powered for the conditions will lay down, at least, and the small ones without mast flotation, turn turtle.
In about 6 weeks, when my H15 lands in Fremantle, I'll get the chance to see for myself.
Cheers,
Hollis

Jul 10, 2009
Hunter 170 lake Manitoba
On my Hunter 170 I find that any time wind starts blowing around 12 to 14 kts its time to reef the main. These boats are a lot of fun and I love the portability , but they do have their limits.

First time I laid my 170 on its side it was super easy to get it right back up again. With sealed mast the tip of it will only sink about 1 foot underwater. I just swam out, grabed the end of a mast and threw it up in the air. Boat righted it self no problem. Unfortunately my main sheet got stuck and it didn't release properly so the second main caught air again boat took off on me like a rocket. Learnt few good lessons that day...lol

cheers

Feb 26, 2010
Yep, I can just see that happening to me! Waving goodbye as my now righted boat takes off down the bay with my dog looking quizzically at me.
Hollis

txjim

Sep 4, 2007
Hunter 170 Grapevine Lake, TX
Yep, I can just see that happening to me! Waving goodbye as my now righted boat takes off down the bay with my dog looking quizzically at me.
Hollis
That image keeps me very attentive to the wind when sailing solo!

I used my 170 to teach the Boy Scout Sailing merit badge to my son's troop. Part of the lesson is capsize recovery and it takes a bit of effort in winds < 12 knots to knock the boat over. In addition to the standard recovery checklist, I tell them to ALWAYS have a dockline in hand before they right the boat!

(I also tell them to make sure they recover my &^#@$ cushions, but that's another story....)

Feb 26, 2010
That image keeps me very attentive to the wind when sailing solo!

I used my 170 to teach the Boy Scout Sailing merit badge to my son's troop. Part of the lesson is capsize recovery and it takes a bit of effort in winds < 12 knots to knock the boat over. In addition to the standard recovery checklist, I tell them to ALWAYS have a dockline in hand before they right the boat!

(I also tell them to make sure they recover my &^#@$ cushions, but that's another story....)
I'm thinking that attaching an inflatable fender to my gear bags might be a good risk management strategy!
H

Jul 10, 2009
Hunter 170 lake Manitoba
Length of a rope with a small fender attached to it is exactly what I do now to avoid getting left behind...LOL

I also carry a small Danforth anchor with me and here's why: H170 sits pretty high in the water, as a result boat offers a lot of hull side area for wind to push you around. Especially after a capsize its nice to be able to relax for a mintue and get your stuff back on board without having to fight the boat at the same time. This may seem like an overkill in a day sailor but I found an anchor to be very handy in the past.

As I mentioned in my other post, this season I'll be trying the new configuration with a slightly lowered boom and a second reef point installed in the main. These two things should make a big difference in how the 170 handles.

Cheers

Feb 26, 2010
Gee, if you need 2nd reef points you must have winds like we do here. Thay call it the Fremantle Doctor as it makes us feel better when it blow away the 100 degree plus heat at the height of summer. When I started sailing here I was amazed at the waves that were blown up by the winds on the river. Even though that boat had lead on her bottom there always were some hairy moments. I will certainly take your advice and have an extra set of reefing points cut into the mainsail when the boat arrives.
BTW, As there is no dealership here on the westcoast, I will have to do the initial rigging myself. Any advice on tuning the rake of the mast?
Cheers,
H

Jul 10, 2009
Hunter 170 lake Manitoba
I do most of my sailing on some sizeable lakes in the middle of Canadian prairies, wind is one thing we rarely lack around here. Weather can change quickly too, bringing with it some hefty winds and tall waves. I went with the second reef point more for safety sake than the sporting aspect of it. Unless I have a "heavy" and willing crew I will not be heading out if I have to start the day off with a second reef engaged.

I'm not sure how similar the 140 setup is to the 170 but either way I would suggest going trough the Archive section of this website. There are literally tons of great posts dealing with the subject of rig tuning and other useful tricks on set up and sailing of these samll Hunters.

When I first got my h170 I spent few days reading thru some of the older posts, a lot of it was of great help.

One of the first and most helpful mods I did on my boat was getting rid of those cheap, crappy chain plates that Hunter supplies their standing rigging with and replacing them with some nice, adjustable Johnson quick-release shroud levers. As your rigging streches a bit over time those little things will make it a lot easier to keep it nice and tight.

Apart from that I would just enjoy the boat for the first season and see which of the mods people talk about are suitable for your situation.

Cheers,

Oct 8, 2009
Hunter 170 Lake Sammamish WA
...what, do you think, is the most common reason for laying one of these boats down? - Mainsheet in cam cleat when a strong gust hits?
HD
On a close tack with gusts and the mainsheet in a cam cleat, soon or later you're going "over" unless you're able to quickly uncleat and dump the wind.

When I did my demo ride on my boat, I was "hot" to go. However, we probably should have postponed the demo. The wind was so strong we only had the jib flying and more than a couple of times, I thought we were going over when gusts hit the jib.

I was very happy to get back to the dock without getting "wet". I gave the matter some thought before laying out the long green and I didn't want a squirrelly boat.

However, my main reason for buying the boat was to sail in light winds on our 10 mile long lake and for that, it's done a great job. I only sailed it for a month last year and all solo. I'm thinking with a couple more bodies on board on the upwind side, the boat may be less likely to heel over to an uncomfortable angle with moderate winds with gusts.

I saw a 170 knock down on what appeared to be an early model. I was standing on a dock and the boat went down maybe 200' away. When it turtled, the center board appeared to be retracted. I assume it slid up when the boat went over. Without the board down, it was impossible to right the boat in the water. Another boat towed it to the dock where the boat was righted. I then looked in the cockpit and DIDN'T see a lockdown strap for the center board although the 2 guys on the boat insisted they did. All I know is the center board was retracted fully into the hull when the boat turtled.

I love sailing my 170, but I question whether this boat is a good one for a family, especially with kids in anything other than light air. I bought my used 170 from a dealer who took it back after the buyer only had the boat about a month or so. I suspect either "stepping" the mast or the performance in windy conditions was the reason for the quick return.

I now have strong reason to believe that the previous owner turtled the boat and in doing so, stuck the mast into a shallow bottom. I just had the mast cap replace and the old one was full of sand which ended up jamming the 2 top sleeves. Rather than try to repair it, I bought a brand new mast cap from Hunter for $35.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.