Motor size ?

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
the "default" seems to be the Tohatsu Sailpro 6hp long shaft which pushes it nicely and economically to hull speed I'm told around here...don't know of any gain by larger/more horsepower.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
I previously had a mercury 15hp 2 stroke. Due to hassles with fuel/oil mix, 2 stroke lake use restrictions, my dislike of leaving an oil slick, and an interest in decreasing weight, I upgraded to the above mentioned Tohatsu Sailpro.

The 15hp would probably help pushing though big waves, but I figure if it's big waves, then there is wind. There are a bunch of threads covering this topic, including ones by @Gene Neill and a recent thread by me where I have detailed photos of the sailpro.
Check out Gene's youtube videos. You get some nice depressing footage of Florida with them enjoying themselves.
(and a few comments about the motor, and a chance to see it in use.) :D

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Two stroke engines are significantly lighter than four stroke engines so you can pack more horse power without exceeding the weight limits of the motor mount and transom. Many claim that any horsepower in excess of that necessary to get the boat up to hull speed is a waste but that is a short sighted statement. When you are fighting wind and current in foul conditions it may be that excess horse power that may push the boat forward. Now you will probably be using the boat 95% of the time in fair conditions so it may not be worth it to pay for excess horsepower. But you asked for the largest, so look for a 2 stroke around 15HP that does not exceed 100 lbs.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
As @Benny17441 says, it depends on your motor mount.
The lifting original mounts i've seen on some c22 were a lighter version with less springs, and 100lbs would be too much. Make sure your mount is strong, the transom is solid, and has a backing plate.

The C22 is already prone to drag it's stern, so weight is important.
I saved 30lbs going from the 2 stroke 15hp merc to the sailpro (58 lbs)

You are in San Diego so hopefully @Gene Neill can give his input on conditions there.

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
What is the largest motor you can use on a Catalina 22 ? Thanks

"Can" is such a tricky word. ;)

With deepest respect to @Benny17441, it is my opinion that (based on our experience with a 6HP) anything over a 9.9 would be a complete waste of horsepower, money, fuel, and weight. A 15 HP outboard on a C22 sounds a bit like a four-foot penis to me. Maybe I'm wrong.

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
A 15 HP outboard on a C22 sounds a bit like a four-foot penis to me. Maybe I'm wrong.
no argument there, but the barnacle may take issue (apparently he finds it most useful):

<PASTE>
"When you think of large genitals a barnacle is probably the last thing you think of. In fact, in proportion to body size, barnacles have the largest penises in the animal kingdom, reaching up to 10 times the length of their body."

(file this under things you didn't need to know!)

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2014
Catalina 22 Pensacola, Florida
Kind of gives new meaning to getting screwed when you check your bottom and find it covered with a barnacle sex club.

Mar 2, 2018
Catalina Wing Keel San Diego
Thanks for the input including those barnacle ,genital and penis facts. Those alway come in handy.
Now on to my next question . I currently have a 6hp Tohatsu.
What other outboards you you using and what do you like about them?

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
Thanks for the input including those barnacle ,genital and penis facts. Those alway come in handy.
Now on to my next question . I currently have a 6hp Tohatsu.
What other outboards you you using and what do you like about them?
I have no other outboards to recommend, however a question, if you already have a 6hp Tohatsu (which 95% of the folks here seem to recommend for a C22), what about it don't you like, and therefore are seeking other options? (quick, before I invest in one)!

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2018
Catalina Wing Keel San Diego
I have own my boat and motor since Sept of 2017 and the motor has been very reliable up until our last trip out to the Channel Islands. On the way back it cut out 3 times so Monday it's going in for a tune up and figure out what happened hopefully. I like the Tohatsu don't get me wrong . I am just looking for options. Possibly a 2nd back up motor. One thing I did like about the Tohatsu is the charging possiblities but mine doesn't work for some reason right now so hopefully that will be fixed as well. Good luck !

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
I would guess fuel, spark plug, carb cleaner, but certainly others will chime in...maybe the barnacles?! (any outboard should have annual, routine maintenance from my limited experience). Can't imagine hauling a 2nd (backup) outboard on a C22 (think weight), although that would provide a comfort level.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
any outboard should have annual, routine maintenance from my limited experience
+1
and use pure gasoline, fully drain each year, and use real fuel stabilizer (Dealer told me not to use seafoam since it contains alcohol which is the whole problem with ethanol based crap fuel) To clean the system maybe, but not as a stabilizer

Same goes for any seasonal small engines like snowblowers, mower, saws etc.

I fixed my buddies tohatsu last month due to crap fuel. Typical white goo in the jet and bowl.

Ethanol is great... keeps the marine and small engine mechanics in business. :) (probably drives up the cost of a plate of nachos too) :D

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
One thing I did like about the Tohatsu is the charging possiblities but mine doesn't work for some reason right now so hopefully that will be fixed as well.
There's a fuse on the hot leg from the alternator. Follow both wires from their exit point on the cowling into the motor's guts, and check that fuse. ;)
On the way back it cut out 3 times...
Did it start back up again easily? Could be air getting sucked into the fuel line somewhere.

You've got a great motor BTW.

kenpa

Mar 25, 2018
catalina 22 Maraine state park
Being new to sailing I can only speak from recent experience.I put a 9.9 honda on my Cat 22. Had to put a dif motor mount to handle the weight of the 9.9 110 lbs. But can still talk in a normal voice to anyone else on the boat with just a small amount of throttle but can outrun a storm at haul speed if I need to and donot have to mess with oil to the fuel etc.

Jun 4, 2004
-catalina -22 fresno, calif.
I have been happy with my 6hp Johnson two cycle but, as mentioned lake rules won't let you on the water if you have one on your boat. look at four cycle of some sort