Motor recommendations for 170

Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 26.5 West Palm Beach
That link didn't work for me, but your post got me thinking that my information might have become out of date, so I did some google work. I came up with this - https://www.navcen.uscg.gov/?pageName=mtBoater
An excerpt is below:

"Federal Communications Commission (FCC) Radio License Information
An FCC ship station radio license is no longer required for any vessel travelling in U.S. waters which uses a VHF marine radio, radar or EPIRB, and which is not required to carry radio equipment. A license is necessary however for any vessel required to carry a marine radio, on an international voyage, or carrying an HF single sideband radiotelephone or marine satellite terminal. FCC license forms, including applications for ship and land station radio licenses, can now be downloaded from the FCC website."

If you have more recent information, I am listening.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
The rules regarding use of VHF marine radio comms between boat and shoreside were changed in 2016 to allow for radio use without a shore station license. This is a great safety development for small boaters, especially in remote locations like the Atlantic barrier islands where self-rescue response is needed.

Page 24 of the linked FCC Report and Order, 1 September 2016:

80.115 Operational conditions for use of associated ship units.
(a) * * *
(1) It must only be operated on the safety and calling frequency 156.800 MHz or 156.525 MHz or on commercial or noncommercial VHF intership frequencies appropriate to the class of ship station with which it is associated.
(2) Except for safety purposes, it must only be used to communicate with the ship station with which it is associated or with associated ship units of the same ship station. Such associated ship units may be used from shore only adjacent to the waterway (such as on a dock or beach) where the ship is located. Communications from shore must relate to the operational and business needs of the ship including the transmission of safety information, and must be limited to the minimum practicable transmission time.

Aug 22, 2017
Some more google work turned up the document that I think Gunni was referencing. It looks to me like they are thinking about letting people on shore, but near the water use hand-held VHFs, but I did not find anything saying that the proposal has been accepted. Personally, I think that hand-helds should be OK to use from the shoreline for things like calling a shuttle boat to notify they that you are ready to be picked up, or notifying a boat of a potential hazard.

An Excerpt from page 11 of the FCC 16-119A PDF that I found -
"G. Portable Marine VHF Radios on Shore
25. Section 80.115(a)(2) of the Commission’s Rules prohibits the use on shore of a portable
marine VHF radio associated with a vessel.79 The GMDSS Task Force proposed that the rule be amended
to allow persons on shore within three miles of the water to use portable marine VHF radios to
communicate with the vessel that is subject to the ship station authorization.80 The Commission,
however, noted that limitations on the use of maritime frequencies are intended to minimize interference
to maritime communications (particularly distress and safety messages), and tentatively concluded that
permitting the use of portable marine VHF radio transmitters on shore would not further the public
interest.81 We questioned the practical enforceability of a three-mile rule, and asked whether shore
parties’ communications needs could be met by commercial mobile radio service (CMRS) or PRS
options.82 The Commission also asked commenters supporting the proposal to discuss what limitations
would be appropriate to minimize the impact on maritime communications.83
26. The GMDSS Task Force acknowledges that CMRS options likely will be preferred in
areas with reliable coverage, and asserts that this makes it unlikely that use of low-powered portable
marine VHF radio radios on land will interfere with maritime communications.84 It also argues that
permitting such use will further the public interest by encouraging more boaters to a carry a VHF radio,
which has safety benefits not available from CMRS or PRS options because marine VHF channels can be..."

Again, if someone has information that a change has been made, I am listening with open ears.

Edit:
I was typing while Gunni was posting his last bit of information. I need to do some more reading.

Aug 22, 2017
The rules regarding use of VHF marine radio comms between boat and shoreside were changed in 2016 to allow for radio use without a shore station license. This is a great safety development for small boaters, especially in remote locations like the Atlantic barrier islands where self-rescue response is needed.

Page 24 of the linked FCC Report and Order, 1 September 2016:

80.115 Operational conditions for use of associated ship units.
(a) * * *
(1) It must only be operated on the safety and calling frequency 156.800 MHz or 156.525 MHz or on commercial or noncommercial VHF intership frequencies appropriate to the class of ship station with which it is associated.
(2) Except for safety purposes, it must only be used to communicate with the ship station with which it is associated or with associated ship units of the same ship station. Such associated ship units may be used from shore only adjacent to the waterway (such as on a dock or beach) where the ship is located. Communications from shore must relate to the operational and business needs of the ship including the transmission of safety information, and must be limited to the minimum practicable transmission time.
Thank you Gunni. I had not read down that far yet. That clears things up for me. I appreciate the update. My information was old. I was unaware of the loophole that was added in 2016. This is good news & a win for common sense.