Motor Overboard!

Jul 5, 2011
Oday 28 Madison, CT
Well, my wife and I managed to screw up royally over the weekend, dumping our 2011 Honda 2 HP air cooled engine into about 10 feet of water at low tide. One search trip no joy, but trying again tonight. Assuming we can haul it out, I am thinking of getting it into a bath tub for a fresh water bathtub soak overnight, but then what? Take to a shop or if I store it so the water drains from the carb, will it fire up and behave itself after drying out? The engine was not running at the time, gas cock, tank valve closed etc.

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
Assuming you recover it, I would say that the engine would have to be dismantled and rinsed of any salt water residue the electrics may also have to be replaced.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
The trick is to not let it stay out of water but for a few minutes before the rinsing starts.. Immerse in a tub of fresh as soon as possible.. then plan the real attack.. drain oil and gas, remove spark plug.. flush out everything with fresh..(under flywheel too) remove the valve cover and flush.. drain everything carefully then put back oil and carburetor (after draining and blowing it out) and put a little oil into the cylinder.. pull over by hand vigorously a few times.. check for spark.. if ya got spark, re-install the plug and crank it up. Let it run until good and warm.. maybe 20 minutes in a run tank.. OR take it to shop where they have seen submerged engines before and let them handle it.. again the key is to not let any part of it wet by salt water dry as you make plans to fix it.. flush as thoroughly as you can with fresh and don't let that dry until you are ready to work it.. Good luck!
EDIT: then change thee oil and run it another 20-30 minutes and check the oil.. if not milky, ya good.. if milky, change it and run it until the oil does not get milky.. usually two changes are necessary, but sometimes three..

Last edited:
May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
It aircooled so no oil to change. Some 2 strokes have a side plate for access to the reed valves. I'd pull that and wash the crankcase with 2cycle gas or kerosene and then oil the top and bottom of the rod. Use a metal rake to help find the motor

Les

Nov 6, 2006
It is an air cooled four stroke, so it does have crankcase oil..

Hafa

Jan 24, 2017
Hunter 40.5 Saipan
After it cools down from the run, I'd soak most of it down in WD-40 to get out any remaining water and help avoid corrosion. Let the WD-40 hating begin! :waycool:

Nov 6, 2006
WD of WD 40 means "water displacement" so it is great for that! Squirt away!

Sep 23, 2009
O'Day 34-At Last Rock Hall, Md
If you can get a copy of Powerboating Illustrated by Patrick Royce, it is detailed there. Brief version....keep submerged in fresh water till ready to repair. Pull plugs, rinse erything with fresh water, then run water thr carb,put plugs in loose and pull cord in vertical and upside down position, repeat with alcohol. Then strip the motor down to the bearings, separate all disimilar metals and clean with water, rinse with alcohol and apply light oil film. Keep different metals in different tubs. The main concern is any corrosion lines on bearing surfaces.
Good luck.

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
I dropped my Brownies hookah dive rig in the water a couple of years ago. It uses a small air cooled 4 stroke Subaru motor to drive the air compressor. I pulled the spark plug, drained the oil and fuel tank. blew out the fuel line, carb and cylinder with compressed air. Dried out the foam air filter with paper towels. Added new oil and new gas. replaced the plug, and she started right up. Ran for 20 minutes, and then replaced the oil again. It was milky. Ran for another 20 minutes. Replaced oil, milky again. After 3 oil changes the oils remained clear. Engine is still fine today.

Brownies..jpg